" Idstone " Trap Pit

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
That's about it, JD. Only - and this is weird, because Carneggie says he's working from Idstone's original plans - I'm sure my book (Tideline facsimile) says the traps should be placed at the ends of the pipes? No time to check it now. But it makes sense. Maybe he modified it himself?

Fact is; The bait would lure them in and they'd run those traps - at the ends of the pipes. Gang set the traps around that central Bait Pole and - at least with modern day Fenn's or what ever, the first trap would fire, jump and fire another ..... Chaos!

Incidentaly; I have checked my book and the diagram of the lid / spindle isn't worth reproducing. I have three editions of this book and must have been remembering better details from another copy. What the hell; We have enough detail from the above :good:

Water tank's still useable. Bog standard silacone sealent would do the trick ;)

when i have used the idstone i have position fenn mk4 traps (doing the usuall,covering trap with tissue and fine layer of fine soil)between pipe and post.first you catch young rats,then the older scabie does,always used to pour hot fat down pipes to encourage entry,bacon fat on post .all the best

Carneggie says he's working from Idstone's original plans

If anyone is hell bent on reproducing Idstone's plan I have the original work here dated late 1800's which I might try to put up if my scanner plays the game.

OTC

Did you get it done Ditchy?

havn,t you heard, the famous ditchy has eradicated all the mink in ireland by using his unique idstone type setup of mink snares set in the entrance tunnels of the trap and juby traps at the bottom of the hole leading up to multiple strings of frozen a drilled mice , i believe its called a "big pile of shite" set , if the mink is still alive , it is beated to submission with the springs of a broken cage trap:whistle:

havn,t you heard, the famous ditchy has eradicated all the mink in ireland by using his unique idstone type setup of mink snares set in the entrance tunnels of the trap and juby traps at the bottom of the hole leading up to multiple strings of frozen a drilled mice , i believe its called a "big pile of shite" set , if the mink is still alive , it is beated to submission with the springs of a broken cage trap:whistle:

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

. . . and then danced around by countless badgers and pine martens :tongue2: , then torched on a blanket of juncas rush . . .

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Vicious b*stards! :laugh:

Actually, no. I'd pretty much completely forgotten about the idea of burying a small boat in my ground, to be honest with ye.

It'd take the form of another 'project' and I'm already working flat out here, trying to keep up to pace on quite enough bloody projects which must be done in the summer and will benefit me immeasurably come winter and the rains. I had my mate - and fellow forum member now - Dean o' round here today and we discussed this, in passing. As I constantly turned, picked over, turned, picked over and so gradually removed my old hay rick, for use as 'stock bedding, I turned to Dean and said;

" Look at this. What we have to do. A typical day in the life of Ditch Shitter. I've been tied to this f*cking thing for three days now and I need a couple more at it. And that lot on the forum will be saying, 'Oh Ditch; How come ye not out chasing mink ~ for which no c***s paying ye. Setting traps and wandering about with ye Dog and rifle? '. And here's the reallity: Having a bit of ground means ye have to maintane it. And This bloody thing's keeping me from urgent works on the cow shed. What do ye think of this idea for flashing for that roof, mate ..... "

And Dean can verify that. That's why I haven't been digging holes and messing around with Idstone Traps yet. Much as I'd like to. I'm run off my feet here just working on the every day chores a Small Holding produces. Sorry 'n all that. But that's how it is. I can no more f*ck about than a Gamekeeper can stroll the hedges and woods each day with a shotgun over his arm, looking the (fantasy) part :no:

Vicious b*stards! :laugh:

Actually, no. I'd pretty much completely forgotten about the idea of burying a small boat in my ground, to be honest with ye.

It'd take the form of another 'project' and I'm already working flat out here, trying to keep up to pace on quite enough bloody projects which must be done in the summer and will benefit me immeasurably come winter and the rains. I had my mate - and fellow forum member now - Dean o' round here today and we discussed this, in passing. As I constantly turned, picked over, turned, picked over and so gradually removed my old hay rick, for use as 'stock bedding, I turned to Dean and said;

" Look at this. What we have to do. A typical day in the life of Ditch Shitter. I've been tied to this f*cking thing for three days now and I need a couple more at it. And that lot on the forum will be saying, 'Oh Ditch; How come ye not out chasing mink ~ for which no c***s paying ye. Setting traps and wandering about with ye Dog and rifle? '. And here's the reallity: Having a bit of ground means ye have to maintane it. And This bloody thing's keeping me from urgent works on the cow shed. What do ye think of this idea for flashing for that roof, mate ..... "

And Dean can verify that. That's why I haven't been digging holes and messing around with Idstone Traps yet. Much as I'd like to. I'm run off my feet here just working on the every day chores a Small Holding produces. Sorry 'n all that. But that's how it is. I can no more f*ck about than a Gamekeeper can stroll the hedges and woods each day with a shotgun over his arm, looking the (fantasy) part :no:

so tou didn,t get it done then B)

• 5 weeks later...

hey there

interesting stuff

i use a method not to disimaler too what you are explaining in this thread

see piccy below

post-2644-1184107091.jpg

they work a treet once they weather a little

regards

waggi

• 2 months later...
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) How timely that someone should resurrect this particular thread just now! (Ian; With the Idstone, the idea is to set traps at the bottoms of the pipes. Creature comes out of the pipe and has to pass over the trap to get at the bait in the middle) Anyway, Waggi; I'm banking on being paid within a week and have been drawing up a little shopping list of things to get then. Would ye believe that one of the main things on my list is an 18" sqr. inspection cover?!

I was mouching about in the Killgerm catalogue the other night looking at things ratty. I noticed that sort of set up in there and it set my mind working. See; I've been using a car tyre by my bird feeder. I used that because I suspected birds were entering a standard rat box. But now my Dogs have discovered the tyre and one of them dug beneath it. I have to change tack again. That's what inspired me to make an underground chamber they can't dig out. So, effectively, I'm right back at the Idstone type idea, only this time it's a priority and I shall be cracking on with it a bit half sharpish.

My plan then is to dig a hole and sink a bottomless box into it. The wooden sides will keep everything ship shape and also keep my infernal terrier out. Then I'll fit my inspection cover on top of that and drill it for a couple of wing nuts. Make it easy for me to open whilst beyond my Dogs. I could chuck a whole bucket of Brodifacoum in there and rest easy ;)

The tunnels are still bouncing around in my head though. Lazy side of me says the plastic, concertina ribbed plastic piping so ubiquitous over here will do. Cost concious side is alarmed at the price of a decent hole cutter of the right size! Wooden tunnels, I feel, would be the rats choice. But what a f*cking chore to make and fit properly, eh? But them the rat catcher in me realises how our rural rats must be well and truly accustomed to these plastic pipes by now? Everything else goes through them. I'n also extremely sold on the fact that I can quite easily build an elbow into them, thus doing more than anything to dissuade birds from entering. I'm convinced no bird in its right mind will enter a blind hole which heads sharply downwards. Nothing that eats peanuts, anyway.

And what will I put in there? Bromadialone, most likely. Anchored, of course. Though I'll probably set a break back trap too ~ just because it's always so satisfying to see a dead rat! :laugh: My Dogs will certainly alert me, should I get one.

Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say? Best bit is, I now own a pick axe which'll make the job simpler. Sadly bought to help dig my poor Dogs grave :( At least now I can use it again and exorcise the taint of that particular spirits memory from the tool.

I'll make a little photographic diary out of this one and explain how it all goes, in a fresh post, it not being strictly an Idstone I'll be operating ;)

Hi Ditch, The reason that I asked about the traps being in the tunnels, was because I thought it was a necessity for Fenns to be in a height restricted tunnel, to enable them to be humane. You know how they tend to throw things up and catch them by the legs if the height isn't restricted. Is there an other form of trap you use, or is the fact that the Fenn is set close to the end of the tunnel sufficient to prevent live catches. Don't get me wrong I've seen and done some naughty things in my time. Though now I try to be, within reason, by the book. I'm not fishing either, I'm just a bog standard bloke who loves his sport. I'm just wondering. This trap sounds a really good idea to me. :pardon:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Excellent point about the height thing, Ian. Obviously, in Carneggies day they Only had Gin traps. Those things tended not to jump about too much simply by dint of their own weight. Factor in the fact that a 5" one should be set for rats and similar stuff and, believe me, ye have quite a solid piece of kit!

But that was then and this is, of course, now. And I honestly and genuinely don't own a Gin Trap today ~ well, just the one. But that's a shade to valuable a specimen to go sticking in the ground!

No, I'd as likely just use Kness break backs myself, mate. Shoved hard up against the mouth of the tunnel in. Rat'd still have to walk on the pan. That or jump clear of the thing. But, if ye wanted to go with Fenn's? How about just making the pit low enough that the lid catches the flying victim, as a tunnel would? (Don't set Moley on me over this one. I'm only sat here in my arm chair and imagining this bit! :laugh: Never tried it so wouldn't know).

Anyway, good news is that I've been paid and bought my 18" Inspection Chamber Cover today. I even thought to pick up a couple of wing nuts. Bad news is that I was mug enough to accept Pat's offer to drop it home for me - he works where I bought it. He said he'd leave it by my top gate when he came to look at his cattle tonight. I hadn't seen his van by dark. I might walk up there later and look for it. But chances are it'll now languish in his bloody van for a week till I catch the bugger again and retrieve it myself :rolleyes:

Anyway, weather permitting, I have another roof lift to paint tomorrow. No time for messing around digging holes. But I will. And I'll get some shots to demonstrate what I'll be up to. Then we can all sit back and await any results :good:

Thing to remember, see; I'm doing this in order to poison my rats safely. Thus I don't need a deep pit. Six inches will do. But then, that'll probably be ideal for Fenn traps too? Best of both worlds? Happy old me, eh?!

F*cker is, even as I've typed this, I've realised I have no bloody pipes yet! Never mind. Only need a few yards and one of the lads is bound to have a bit I can nick ;)

I'm looking foreward to this one immenseley! :yes: