Sick gill

Round my way a vet could well squeeze £200 from a ferret with these symptoms.

At 8 years old I would say the ferret has had a good innings and i would be very reluctant to go to the vets.

The problem i guess would be the suffering side, so putting her down myself could be an option.

Harsh i know but small animals of this age in this condition go down very fast and would probably be just another cash cow for the vet.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quixote,what is Ferretone?

It's a food supplement that most ferts seem to absolutely love, mate. It's not medicinal as such, but does contain various vitamins, amino acids & other supplements that helps keep them in tip top condition, as well as making things like nip-training & nail-clipping a helluva lot easier!

I generally get it from here

It's a food supplement that most ferts seem to absolutely love, mate. It's not medicinal as such, but does contain various vitamins, amino acids & other supplements that helps keep them in tip top condition, as well as making things like nip-training & nail-clipping a helluva lot easier!

Thanks Quixote,but i don't think this would work in this case since the ferret is not eating normally,i would imagine it is excellent with ferrets with good apettites and in otherwise good health,it does sound like it is a tonic which would boost

their diet and general well being,

Higgins.

just put a jill away simliar age just old age , most die at that age just life some i put away my self others die within a day or two , no vet and no fancy fluids and well 7 or 8 years is a good life for a small animal ,when i think of the sport they give you she has ahad agood innings

Thanks Quixote,but i don't think this would work in this case since the ferret is not eating normally,i would imagine it is excellent with ferrets with good apettites and in otherwise good health,it does sound like it is a tonic which would boost

their diet and general well being,

Higgins.

Always thought of ferretone as a treat for the ferret used by the pet owners when they were cutting the ferrets nails ;) I've never used it(dont see the point) or had to cut a ferrets nails

Y.I.S Leeview

hi swampy hows the ferret ,she might have food poisoning i have read all the post and you have not said what you feed it on if she has eaten old meat she may well have , i had a ferret what had food poisoning and saved it , took it to work with me and fed it baytrill (spelling ) by seringe from the vets tim

I must admit I'd have had any of mine along to the vets before now.........Higgins makes a good point though! Ferts are cheap to replace, & vet fees are undeniably a rip-off. But what price do you put on an animal that's served you well & asks for nothing more than food, water & attention to their welfare?

Ferts are masters at hiding injury & illness, so if she really doesn't appear to be well, then she almost certainly isn't!

Best advice I can offer now is to keep her warm, quiet & make sure she has water available................the good news is, if she's taking ferretone she's at least getting some fluid & sugars

you are right there we all think we got a good one then when its ill we do not care for it and why because the vets cost us money.

well all i can say is this i dont care what the vet cost its not just my working ferret or dog itsa my pet to with out it i got nothing.

look at it this way your ferret cost you £10 and the vets bill is £100 yes and your dog cost you £ 100 would you spend £1000 on it yes you would whats the diff

I must admit I'd have had any of mine along to the vets before now.........Higgins makes a good point though! Ferts are cheap to replace, & vet fees are undeniably a rip-off. But what price do you put on an animal that's served you well & asks for nothing more than food, water & attention to their welfare?

Ferts are masters at hiding injury & illness, so if she really doesn't appear to be well, then she almost certainly isn't!

Best advice I can offer now is to keep her warm, quiet & make sure she has water available................the good news is, if she's taking ferretone she's at least getting some fluid & sugars

you are right there we all think we got a good one then when its ill we do not care for it and why because the vets cost us money.

well all i can say is this i dont care what the vet cost its not just my working ferret or dog itsa my pet to with out it i got nothing.

look at it this way your ferret cost you £10 and the vets bill is £100 yes and your dog cost you £ 100 would you spend £1000 on it yes you would whats the diff

a ferret is like the rest of the stuff you take with you when you go out you put her or him don the hole and no if there is one in there he or she will find it.

you get a new one and for the fist year you only think they are good you go out and waste days with it as it is young and then the end of the day you go home with hardely any rabbits and think if i only had my old ferret she would have not let me down no but you did by letting her dies for the sake of £50 im just saying it from what i see been out with ferrets that are not as good as mine thats all

EveNing All.

I would just like to say that this particular forum has always been abit more positve than some of the others on THL.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and help etc.

Even the harsher ones held a certain amount of truth in their substance.

Anyway.......she made it thru last night! She has stopped shaking and her breathing is more stable/less eratic.

thanks to my 12yo daughter she has been mollycoddled all day. She has managed to get some sugary water down her and she is eating a little small chopped cooked chicken. She is definately more alert but still very weak in her hind quarters. very wobbly on her feet but definately a bit better.

For those who have advocated the vet, I am taking an early from work tomorrow just to have her checked out. I am acutely aware that at 8 she may well be looking at the pearly rabbit hole in the sky.....It still brings a lump to my throat all the same. She has given us three bruisers of hobs who whilst not being as good as her at hunting still give us food for the table. So something of her will live on. Yeah go on take the p out of this sentamentalist but she was/is the best fert I've ever had. Comes when you call and I've never had to dig for her. I will continue to keep her best interest at heart to the point that I may have to retire her and give her pet status.

Out of interest....my lad bought her along with her brother who we castrated. They lived together right up till he died a few weeks back. No signs just curled up in his box dead one morn'

Could she be pining? Just a thought.

She has been living in a new court since to ensure that if it was a diesease she wouldn't get it. her brother showed no signs of deterioration.

Am I getting soft???

Thanks again everyone. I'll post a pic tomorrow

Best regards all

Swampy

A tentative ning

EveNing All.

I would just like to say that this particular forum has always been abit more positve than some of the others on THL.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and help etc.

Even the harsher ones held a certain amount of truth in their substance.

Anyway.......she made it thru last night! She has stopped shaking and her breathing is more stable/less eratic.

thanks to my 12yo daughter she has been mollycoddled all day. She has managed to get some sugary water down her and she is eating a little small chopped cooked chicken. She is definately more alert but still very weak in her hind quarters. very wobbly on her feet but definately a bit better.

For those who have advocated the vet, I am taking an early from work tomorrow just to have her checked out. I am acutely aware that at 8 she may well be looking at the pearly rabbit hole in the sky.....It still brings a lump to my throat all the same. She has given us three bruisers of hobs who whilst not being as good as her at hunting still give us food for the table. So something of her will live on. Yeah go on take the p out of this sentamentalist but she was/is the best fert I've ever had. Comes when you call and I've never had to dig for her. I will continue to keep her best interest at heart to the point that I may have to retire her and give her pet status.

Out of interest....my lad bought her along with her brother who we castrated. They lived together right up till he died a few weeks back. No signs just curled up in his box dead one morn'

Could she be pining? Just a thought.

She has been living in a new court since to ensure that if it was a diesease she wouldn't get it. her brother showed no signs of deterioration.

Am I getting soft???

Thanks again everyone. I'll post a pic tomorrow

Best regards all

Swampy

A tentative ning

thanks for that mate yes she could be just try and make sure she makes it its like going out with the other ferrets and you dig like hell for hours and sit there and think god if she was here now i would be home and not digging,

4 years ago my mate phone me and said come shoot this 6 month old jil as he can not even feed it i went there and she was so nice i went home got my welding gloves and and took her with me within 3 hours she was playing with my 13 week old pup today they make one hell of a team and in all this time neave dig for her and when i get them home she just plays with the dog and in her hutch she stays till the next day i should put some pics and vids on her for every one to see they are both the same age and wow what a team