Sick gill

my hob now is about 8-9 and he seemed fine went downhill in under two weeks lost pritty much all his weight became like all bones vet did aloud of tests nothing they could do apparantly he had similar thing with the shaking i separated him from the other and put him with the heat pad and force fed him using sering for a couple of days then he started to take small peices of chicken and sloely he came back to normal. so get her in a warm place give her lots of fluid and if possible try a variety of different foods see if she'll take anything if not mix vitamins with a bread and milk concoction in a sering. hope she pulls through mate atb lilpip

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mushed up food into a syringe oily fish is good for fatty acids, help with a number of ailments, give her tiny bits at a time, bring her in, keep her warm but not too warm, keep her hydrated and keep your fingers crossed

How old is she?

Reckon she's about 8 yrs.

Have brought here in. Sleeping lots . very lethargic..

Not livley at all wont even nip me Cant make her eat.

Gonna be a long night!

Swampy

Drning

to feed her mash it up/blend it, put it in a syringe and syringe small amounts into her mouth. She should take small amounts like that to keep her strength up

Not being critical but if the jill is not eating then no matter what the method of feeding is used to give her mashed up food,she is not well enough to eat and this may be a sign of serious illness,i don't particularly like to visit the vet's myself with their rip off fees,but when i place a sentimental value on an animal that has served me well then i will swallow my pride,since i don't know what could be wrong then i can trust experts in their field once in a while,swampy i hope she recovers quickly,but the best advice i can give is if in doubt then take her to a vet,good luck,

Higgins.

No disrespect to anyone at all. But its 21.29 and i'm not dragging a vet out at their call out fees for a ferret. I love her , best damn worker I've had and its Sunday tomorrow. So interim help would be good please.I have thought of the vet thing. I'm not THAT tick!

So sensible temporary measures iff known would be cool

Thanks

Swampy

Sickning

call out fees are 30 quid mate is she worth it wel by now you should no how is she

Might be £30 quid in wales mate!

My lad bought her about 7yrs back off a lad in the village. he reckons she was about a year old then........

Are we quibbling here?

Asked for a wee bit of advice and help and got some.......from gen peeps.

rgds

Swamps

Ninging as a nurse

not having a go mate no way but i just think its the vet you need here 36 hours is a long time not to eat thats all mothing eles you got 3 more years with her yet at say 100 rabbits a year thats a lot

i would say at 8 years a ferret has had a good bite at life and is probably preparing for fuzzy heaven :( :(

i agree with swampy i wouldnt take a ferret to a vets its just not worth the cost i know thats sounds harsh but being from old school thats the way its always been at may patch

that said i did take one jill to the vets when it took ill as it had just had kits 5 days at the time but it died anyway :( :( the kits mostly survived

twhen i put them in with another jill which had had a litter at the same time

good luck swampy hope she pulls threw for you mate

kirky

No disrespect to anyone at all. But its 21.29 and i'm not dragging a vet out at their call out fees for a ferret. I love her , best damn worker I've had and its Sunday tomorrow. So interim help would be good please.I have thought of the vet thing. I'm not THAT tick!

Thanks

Swampy

Sickning

call out fees are 30 quid mate is she worth it wel by now you should no how is she

My lad bought her about 7yrs back off a lad in the village. he reckons she was about a year old then........

Are we quibbling here?

rgds

Swamps

Ninging as a nurse

keep us all posted please mate

Thanks for all the possitive posts.

I will keep you all posted.

bottle of rum, an old clint eastwodd movie and cuddling a ferret.........jeez I love my mid life!

Swampy

ninging in wonder

Swamps,if she is losing weight fast then possibly giving her some Dioralyte fluid to prevent dehydration(dehydration is to be avoided at all costs)even if it has to be forcibly taken,may help in the meantime,loss of weight and body fluid are what you need to watch until proffessional help or a sudden recovery has appeared,just a thought.

Thanks

Swampy

Sickning

Are we quibbling here?

rgds

Swamps

Ninging as a nurse

not having a go mate no way but i just think its the vet you need here 36 hours is a long time not to eat thats all mothing eles you got 3 more years with her yet at say 100 rabbits a year thats a lot

Sorry if you took offence non offered honest!

I'm sat here on a Sat night. A cpl of mis feeds has happened before and no probs. Bit annoyed at my self at getting attached to a ferret. Damn good gill!. 100 rabbits!

This girl 'll do that in a week...........if I had the time!

Rgds

Swampy

signinging off tonight

Signinging off

Yet another one that asks advice then gets stroppy when the 'v' word is mentioned.

ClowNING.

As a droid you have no concept of time..............rum kicking in now!

earn the ning

bestest rgds

swampy

must log offning

he did say he wanted advice after the jill not been eating for 36 hours,the only advice that could be safely offered was the vets at least to rule out any serious illness/viruses that may be knocking about,i expect he is upset and trying to nurse the jill emotionally,all i can say regarding ill ferrets is that the future is not bright if people are unwilling to visit the vet,also the vets fees do not help at all,the truth is the cost of a replacement ferret is far cheaper than treatment

and as long as ferrets are cheap and vet treatment is high,this will remain so for a long while,

Higgins.

I must admit I'd have had any of mine along to the vets before now.........Higgins makes a good point though! Ferts are cheap to replace, & vet fees are undeniably a rip-off. But what price do you put on an animal that's served you well & asks for nothing more than food, water & attention to their welfare?

Ferts are masters at hiding injury & illness, so if she really doesn't appear to be well, then she almost certainly isn't!

Best advice I can offer now is to keep her warm, quiet & make sure she has water available................the good news is, if she's taking ferretone she's at least getting some fluid & sugars

I must admit I'd have had any of mine along to the vets before now.........Higgins makes a good point though! Ferts are cheap to replace, & vet fees are undeniably a rip-off. But what price do you put on an animal that's served you well & asks for nothing more than food, water & attention to their welfare?

Ferts are masters at hiding injury & illness, so if she really doesn't appear to be well, then she almost certainly isn't!

Best advice I can offer now is to keep her warm, quiet & make sure she has water available................the good news is, if she's taking ferretone she's at least getting some fluid & sugars

Quixote,what is Ferretone?Is it a medicinal tonic or a quick fix panacea?Forgive my ignorance,but it sounds like a ferret tonic,does ferretone work in extreme cases,since i got ferrets back on i haven't heard of it or had need to buy it thanks,

Higgins.