Ive seen birds 'dispatched' with them game dispatchers still blinking and moving their eyes, very much alive, i dont rate them. Personally i prefer to give them a good wack on the head with my stick, no need for a preist when youve got your beating stick. But somtimes guns and other beaters moan about the stick method so i will break their necks without ripping the skin/tissue simply by twisting the head in one hand and the body in the oposite direction with the other hand, the neck completely dislocates and they still hang well at the end of the day. Humane dispatch is more a priority than what looks good in the game larder, i wont repeat what i have seen that some advocate to save breaking the birds neck.

come on lads, when beating i assume you use a stick? hold it by the wings and chap it over the head. it kills it instantly. theres nothing worse at the end of the day tying the birds into braces and some idiot has wrung the birds neck and stretched and tore all the skin. bad practice.

exactly... well said.... whats with all the breaking necks, spinning birds around, or fumbling through pockets for a dispatcher ffs... JUST PICK IT UP AND KNOCK IT ON THE HEAD WITH YOUR STICK OR FLAG!! JOB DONE

edited to add.. if your shooting and not carrying a stick etc, a priest is a better tool than a dispatcher, iv seen enough folk messing/feckin about with dispatchers to put me off them.

Edited by dogs-n-natives
I just bite there heads, works everytime

hahaha :clapper::D plus the added bonus of a tasty and nutritious mouthful of brain and blood!! Everyones a winner!! lmao :clapper:

Yes the taste does get a bit of getting used to. :D

It's something i've always done, if you put the top of the birds head in your mouth the blood etc usually goes out the birds mouth away from yours lol. I must admit i've had some funny looks from folk when they have seen me do it, but as long as the birds despatched humanely thats all that matters.

The best way is to bite the head crushing the skull or buy a proper dispatcher ;)

In my past [bANNED TEXT] we used to dragnet for gamebirds the easyist way to kill them wile in the net was to bite their heads the old boy who did not have his own teeth used a nutcracker to dispatch game birds.

I just bite there heads, works everytime

thats the way i was taught by my oldman when roostshooting, when your somewhere you shouldnt there isnt time to piss around with sticks or dispatchers.

Dont think it would be well looked at on a driven shoot however.

• 2 weeks later...

As a keeper or beater we always just held them with their wings pinched behind their backs and cracked them on the head with your beating stick.

All the pickers up carried small priests (bought and homemade) hung from the wrist. When a runner was brought back they had it to hand straight away.

Some of the guns used to hold them by the head and spin the body about, I hated it as it makes it a nightmare to hang them. You'd put them on the game cart and as he drove off the bouncing about would pop the heads off. You would then have to hang them by their feet to cool.

• 3 weeks later...

No traditional game dealer will want a game bird with a broken neck. The blood needs to be retained in the flesh to get the best flavour after hanging. The biggest rollicking I had on my first day beating was for stretching a pheasant's neck.

Having spend many years driving the game cart, I agree with those that condemn neck wringing because the heads usually come off with a bit of bouncing about.

pick the bird up and hole the two wings together in your left hand so the head is facing to your right. use your beating stick or priest and give it a good tap on the back of the head. you know when you get it right as the bird sort of goes rigid and quivers in your hand. DONT let go of the wings to early ;)

Phil.

come on lads, when beating i assume you use a stick? hold it by the wings and chap it over the head. it kills it instantly. theres nothing worse at the end of the day tying the birds into braces and some idiot has wrung the birds neck and stretched and tore all the skin. bad practice.

:thumbs: best way to do it