got our first pheasant

mr2jan

hi everyone after the first discussion ive done alot more training,anyway the weathers crap here today but as it goes i looked out the window onto our field and saw a cock pheasant mooching around,not bein too heavy weighing 1.7 and a 1/4 i thought why not,got the bird ready and it done a runner with my bird in chase,and hey he nailed it got some pictures too....

post-38658-1256134318.jpg

post-38658-1256134335.jpg

post-38658-1256134354.jpg

hi mark it really isnt that hard to be honest,but really study hard if you can find a mentor then its even better unfortunately i dont have one but am on the phone to the breeder everyday,but im doing fine and this is my first hawk and its the best thing ive ever done,the more you put into your bird the more you get out im not saying its easy but you do have to be commited and dedicated.but seriously study hard.cheers jan

post-38658-1256145186.jpg

nice one mate :clapper: me and my old man kept harris hawks while i was growing up and it is the best hobby you can have but sadly we packed in about 8-10 years ago due to lack of time,having a bird is a massive commitment and fiting it in around full time work is hard.i will have another one one day thow,well done thow mate and grate pics.keep us posted on how you get on with him.

• 3 weeks later...

That's amazing. I never realised a Harris Hawk could take a bird as big as a pheasant. Falconry is my favourite fieldsport as it is both silent and environmentally friendly. I am here in England working but I am from Spain and am trying to study and learn as much as possible about fieldsports in the UK while I am here (things that maybe we could implement in Spain). Forgive me for asking, I understand the basics of the pheasant shooting industry but I wondered how falconry affects it. I mean you can't just walk out on a field and shoot a pheasant and take it home as they are someones property, same as the law you have here that says if you kill one with a car you can't take it but the next person that comes along can take it. So, is it allowed to just go to a field with a hawk and take a pheasant without asking? I am not saying you didn't ask, I just wanted to know how it works. I can understand how it works with waterfowl, rabbits, pigeons, crows and other pests but as pheasants are gamebirds is it different?

TIA

Thanks, I thought that may have been the case. So, when out flying a hawk or eagle in the UK is there a danger of it killing non-target species? What do you do here if for example it takes a protected species? Do you have to report it to your authorities or do you just say :whistling: