Guest Gregg Barrow

Really interesting thread.

I frequent the Australian and New Zealand hog hunting sites and it appears that the dogs most of the guys are using are quite a bit different then what I’m used to.

I taught school in Central Florida for a couple of years and tried to do something outdoors with my homeroom class one weekend a month. Ask them what they wanted to do and it was Fishing? Nope!. Camping? Nope! And they would all come back with “Hog Hunting!!†YES!!

I legged more Hogs then I care to remember back then and actually took a couple of years off after I left teaching.

But the dogs around the Gulf Coast in the eighties and early nineties were simply called “Florida Curs†Cracker Curs†Cracker Cowdogs†and every family had their own strain. To hear them tell it, the crosses they used were a closely guarded secret and only immediate family members knew what dogs were used in the breeding program.

Truth be known, they were mostly pit/scent hound crosses with some herding dogs thrown in. Lab and Boxer was a definite maybe. Some had purebred Catahoula or Plott Hounds and there were several Black Mouth Curs and some Lacey’s around. But even the breeding on these were suspect.

Every pick up truck had a “goodun†sitting in the bed. These we called “Redneck car alarms†<grin>

The book “Cracker†by Jon Kral, has a lot of good pictures of these crosses in it.

They all had a generic look to them.

Today it appears that a lot of guys, especially here in Texas, are using American Bulldogs and Dogos for catchdogs, and I’ve even seen some terriers that made good little baydogs.

I’m getting old and slow and a good catchdog is a necessity for me now.

Some of the old prints from the early Florida history books show a cow and hog dog that had a Kelpie look to them.

Late, I can’t sleep, so I thought I would jump in and ramble on a little. :thumbs-up:

Best regards,

Gregg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really interesting thread.

I frequent the Australian and New Zealand hog hunting sites and it appears that the dogs most of the guys are using are quite a bit different then what I’m used to.

I taught school in Central Florida for a couple of years and tried to do something outdoors with my homeroom class one weekend a month. Ask them what they wanted to do and it was Fishing? Nope!. Camping? Nope! And they would all come back with “Hog Hunting!!†YES!!

I legged more Hogs then I care to remember back then and actually took a couple of years off after I left teaching.

But the dogs around the Gulf Coast in the eighties and early nineties were simply called “Florida Curs†Cracker Curs†Cracker Cowdogs†and every family had their own strain. To hear them tell it, the crosses they used were a closely guarded secret and only immediate family members knew what dogs were used in the breeding program.

Truth be known, they were mostly pit/scent hound crosses with some herding dogs thrown in. Lab and Boxer was a definite maybe. Some had purebred Catahoula or Plott Hounds and there were several Black Mouth Curs and some Lacey’s around. But even the breeding on these were suspect.

Every pick up truck had a “goodun†sitting in the bed. These we called “Redneck car alarms†<grin>

The book “Cracker†by Jon Kral, has a lot of good pictures of these crosses in it.

They all had a generic look to them.

Today it appears that a lot of guys, especially here in Texas, are using American Bulldogs and Dogos for catchdogs, and I’ve even seen some terriers that made good little baydogs.

I’m getting old and slow and a good catchdog is a necessity for me now.

Some of the old prints from the early Florida history books show a cow and hog dog that had a Kelpie look to them.

Late, I can’t sleep, so I thought I would jump in and ramble on a little. :thumbs-up:

Best regards,

Gregg

good ramble gregg - cheers mate :signthankspin:

simoman; im not wanting to hunt boar here, i was just wondering how the hunting WOULD compare to other styles.

Guest yachbee

"We had 3 bay dogs and another catch dog. Yes , we use protective vests and collars on our catch dogs and some of our bay dogs when the weather allows."

That plus a kinife = 1000 pounds of pissed off boar!

Guest rickhunt
In reply to lamping lurcher on your question to Kiwi,I can tell you boxers are Pretty much ideal, there fast runners, agile,excellent at jumping and bite quite hard too, i can only guess the lab provides the brains?

In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

What i said about feral pigs "my grannys tougher" was a more a joke than a statement mate it was lighthearted and not meant in any serious sense. As i said i have been to Oz and seen My inlaws dogs hunt, Ive also seen the scars and old armour thats been battered by the pigs so i dont underestimate them in the slightest. :no: As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

the boxer has an under shoot jaw and cant hold.

Guest BLUE BULL

In reply to lamping lurcher on your question to Kiwi,I can tell you boxers are Pretty much ideal, there fast runners, agile,excellent at jumping and bite quite hard too, i can only guess the lab provides the brains?

In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

What i said about feral pigs "my grannys tougher" was a more a joke than a statement mate it was lighthearted and not meant in any serious sense. As i said i have been to Oz and seen My inlaws dogs hunt, Ive also seen the scars and old armour thats been battered by the pigs so i dont underestimate them in the slightest. :no: As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

The ones ive seen work held well enough.

Gregg that was a great ramble!!! Here in Florida where I live we use Catahoula Lepard/Cur dog x. I use my jrts and lakies to flush the hogs out of the palmetto bushes and then the Catahoula do the catching. I have quite a few hard terriers than will hang on for life. Nipping at ears and asses! LOL

We have a lot of hogs here and hunt them all the time. Who said terriers are for underground only!!!! I am very pleased with my stock they ALL will hunt hogs.

Alot of the "bottom feeders" go to the pound right before hunting season and get all the hounds they can get and leave them in the woods after season. Our hog season is all year round especially if you have or are lucky enough to get action on private land. We also have 2 airedales that we have used.

Guest Gregg Barrow

“Alot of the "bottom feeders" go to the pound right before hunting season and get all the hounds they can get and leave them in the woods after season.â€

Lori, I know what you’re talking about. There used to be a few counties in the panhandle that permitted deer hunting with dogs. After the season, I-10 was littered with the poor dogs that the hunters (and I use that term lightly) had picked up at the pound before the season to run deer with, then dumped when it was over. Everything from Basset, to Beagle to Walker and every conceivable cross of scent hound you could think of.

We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to fighting the antis.

David Jones here in Texas (for the Spaniel guys, he used to work with Talbot Radcliffe of Saighton Kennels) started a pretty nice strain of hog dogs with dogs he found in the pound. He culled pretty hard, but he gave them an opportunity and he didn’t dump them. I think he advertised them under the name "Bad Ass Hog Dogs". :laugh:

Last I heard, he was going with some registered dogs…dunno?

But it goes to prove what some of the guys have already pointed out; there are some good ones to be had if you know what you’re looking for and willing to go to the pound and give them a chance.

I’d be interested to hear about the Airedales. I heard that there is a breeder in Tennessee that has a nice strain that he uses on cat, and I know of an outfitter in Oregon or Utah that uses them to run Mountain Lion with their Redbones.

Most of my hog hunting was in and around Okeechobee.

I have NEVER seen a hog like the one in Yachbees post………don’t know if I want too. :icon_eek:

Best Regards,

Gregg

edited to correct the spelling of yachbee..sorry bout that

Edited by Gregg Barrow

The ones ive seen work held well enough.

The boys on here seem to rate them

http://www.boardogs.org.au/viewtopic.php?t=2569

Guest oldskool

theyre boxers must be alot more lively than the stuff we have in the uk... chavs keep them in the next town over and they all have one thing in common and thats that they are docile, sleepy big hoors lol!!! ps,, im talking about the boxers not the chavs :)