Guest Tonedog
In reply to TONEDOG, Ive never been to a Aussie dog pound so cant comment on them, but i have been to plenty in england and there stuffed full of "unwanted" pets. A working dog of a decent grade has a price and therefore is more likely to be sold or passed on instead of being dumped.

Not in australia. Dogs from working pig dog lines are for sale in the paper every weekend for 50 bucks here.

A mongrel dog in the pound with mastiff, wolfhound or similar influences is much more likely to be from pig dog lines than not.

I don't know the situation in england, but I would imagine any lurcher types in the pound were probably bred for hunting.

A deerhound/saluki or something in the pound probably wasn't just a backyard breeders experiment, but an extra pup from a litter of working lurchers.

Well pounds in oz are full of wolfhound/mastiff crosses and so on and so forth, where it's quite obvious what they were bred for.

You will often hear of pound dogs becoming good pig dogs in aus, but realistically they were probably from pig dog lines anyway so it's not that weird.

As for euro boar being carefree sitting in a meadow eating flowers, what experience do you base that comment on?

Just logic, yeah I was overdoing it for effect, obviously wild boar are formidable animals by design, but really chances are boars which haven't been hassled for the past multiple generations are probably going to be easier to catch with dogs than boars which have been heavily persecuted by dogs in their recent history.

The difference between true wild boar and feral pigs is always overexagerrated. There is a difference but functionality wise feral pigs will quickly be snapped back into shape after a few generations of being wild and hunted.

The size difference has more to do with climate and abundance of food than anything else, and bigger rarely means more dangerous or harder to catch.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BLUE BULL

Sure Tonedog i understand. Theres some here that reckon they wouldnt charge for a working dog, personally i wouldnt charge for a dog that wouldnt work, If i had a dog that did it all it would never leave my side, not for love nor money!

Edited by BLUE BULL
Guest BLUE BULL
couldn't you get the brains from a tougher breed? maybe one also bred to hunt? im a thickshit as far as boar hunting is concerned :11: i think russian boar are larger, but then the ones ive seen over here were pretty feckin hefty too!!!

Im sure you could mate, I would guess that as with lurchers it comes down to personal preference.

Im told the Boar over here ARE a Russian strain imported into the UK to be farmed.

Edited by BLUE BULL

fair point kiwi, is there any particular reason you use boxerxlabs?

it's actually the lab that brings more to the type of pigdog we where after in that cross a bit more leg and even temprament is [bANNED TEXT] the boxer added, the pure bred lab has been used for years over here, most hunters do a bit of everything and the old lab always made a rough and ready pigdog in the backblocks of nz.it was a very common cross back in the days before pitbulls and other newer breeds.

Guest BLUE BULL
Basically any dog will pull up a wild boar in australia regardless of it being a purebreed or mongrel. All they need is a little bit of starch, brain and stamina. The hype of needing a specially bred pig catching dog is just a fairytale.

Is there a preference on size of dog? Ive read all the threads in the boar forum now and most recommend big dogs Ie, Dogos,Mastiffs,Alanos or similar size x's Etc, whilst others prefer smaller bullx's and as you can see in the link i put in my post some in europe use Small terriers, What size of dog is the best for Hog?

Blue bull. In the great dividing range country which is similar to the lakes district a smaller under 24 inch dog is better suited to the steep and heavily wooded as a heavy framed dog wont have the stamina. On the flat open country pigs have got faster over the years of being chased by dogs so a dog with a bit of leg under them are used. There wouldn,t be any more than a dozen alanos and dogos in the country. Most pig dogs are just crossed up mongrels. Lamping lurcher. Deerhounds excell in the flat country.

like brother fox has said any dog can turn into a decent pig dog .i have saw so called line bred pig dogs by some big breeders over here and they are no better than something you get out of the paper for free and give the work to...90% of the time if your dog is only as good as you want it to be!!!!

i'd be following the germans and be usings using jagd's and a rifle,they have been hunting wild boar for centuries. with the way hunting is under the spotlite in the uk, hunting boar with large dogs and knives like they do in other parts of the world is only gonna give the anti's boxes of ammo to use against you guys. but in saying that it's blooding good fun. after a few run in's with good boars sooner or later ya dogs are gonna get ripped and i'm sure ya local vet is gonna ask questions. dave wallace's dogs are boxer/lab/grey simoman.

i'd be following the germans and be usings using jagd's and a rifle,they have been hunting wild boar for centuries. with the way hunting is under the spotlite in the uk, hunting boar with large dogs and knives like they do in other parts of the world is only gonna give the anti's boxes of ammo to use against you guys. but in saying that it's blooding good fun. after a few run in's with good boars sooner or later ya dogs are gonna get ripped and i'm sure ya local vet is gonna ask questions. dave wallace's dogs are boxer/lab/grey simoman.

Thanks Kiwi :D Couldn't beleive the number of dogs that he keeps, pups and adults always ready.