SCOTLAND HAS TO MANY DEER

just listend to the comentry and it says it all ! new zealand sharp shooters brought in to africa , and yes i could see that happen here as well , those boys have controld red deer in new zealand from the air for 30 years

They used a helicopter on one estate about three years ago just to drive them to the guns,and there was holy hell to play

deer were left frightened, and sweating after running so far and a lot perished.

As far as i know it has not been tried again. YET. :nono::nono:

Guys in relation to the video you have to remember that the Galpagos Islands has its own unique ecologicol ecosystem, nowhere on this earth will you find the animals present on the islands anywhere else " Darwins giant tortoise etc" so an introduced species by man like feral goats needs to be eradicated quickly before disease / interbreeding etc happens, if thats from a helicopter with sharp shooters so be it!

As per Scotland i think the DCS / SNH will think twice before carrying out the slaughter of Red Deer (Glenfeshie Estate) by helicopter, the bad publicity they recieved afterwards never helped their cause, don't get me wrong "controlled management" of Red Deer needs to happen, but not the "New Zealand" way.

Edited by von

the land mass of new zealand is enormous and some spots will be unreachable no doubt. although scotland can be very remote most places are reachable.

one point to bring up is that deer react better to one big disturbance( driven shoots etc) than to lots of disturbances over the season( stalking individually) although i believe individual shooting to be more selcective driven can be a good way of reducing numbers quickly. this of course requires alot of logistics and managment(not to mention man power,which can be covered by paying guests) to be done safely and efficiantly.

a large part of deer culls in germany are covered in this way. between 50 and 200 euro per gun per day( trophies cost). why can't this type of thing be done in scotland? a heli costs,driven days bring money in!

even in the alps etc this is possible (using known trails used by game) so it must be fiesable in great britain.

my other problem with heli culling is the fact that carcasses left are a waste of resources( meat) and i find this morally wrong,while it is of course necessary to cull to avoid damage etc there are better ways of doing it( admitted they cost alot more effort).

just an oppinion.

atb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i've got a good idea,once they come to scotland with the chopper why don't we start shooting at the chopper a bit like that film,whats it called?oh yes the shooter,it's pretty sad when even the poor goats stop running because they know its pointless!!well done boys,your real men now!!!!

an introduced species by man like feral goats needs to be eradicated quickly before disease / interbreeding etc happens,

The same way that mice, now giant mice, are now being blamed for eating albatross chicks alive, on the island (in the South Atlantic, I think) where their main nesting place is.

I'm sure there would be plenty of voluteers to cull red deer in Scotland from certain townie areas. Not sure the same people would go back for a second go! Sounds like it's hard graft to do it the proper/traditional way, and the keepers would probably

be more affective than the clients they would have to accompany.

if it were cheaper to stalk in scotland then more people could afford to help out with the cull.

Abso-firkin-lutely!!!"

The large estates will keep the prices high, they care little about the deer welfare and more about the pound notes.....Shame.

if it were cheaper to stalk in scotland then more people could afford to help out with the cull.

Abso-firkin-lutely!!!"

The large estates will keep the prices high, they care little about the deer welfare and more about the pound notes.....Shame.

Its the hind cull that needs to be cheap as chips .The stags matter not in the scheme of things .........................Shame.