gyr/sakers as game hawks

rickardo

• 2 months later...

i have flown male and female gyr sakers as game birds, both were effective on pheasant but not a hope on partrige (in my experiences of them)

the best i have had from them is flying at ground quarry, rabbit and hare.

there are loads of differing opinions on them as to there uses in the field and people have given them a name for wandering, this is something i have not found them to do any worse at then any other specice.

well worth flying!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Theres a few who swear by high percentage Gyr/Sakers ie 7/8ths no less than that though,they have great success on pheasant nwith them.

Forgive moi if I am wrong, but is'nt a 7/8th gyr/saker almost no different to a 100% pure gyrfalcon ?

And why not less than that percentage ?

Theres a few who swear by high percentage Gyr/Sakers ie 7/8ths no less than that though,they have great success on pheasant nwith them.

Forgive moi if I am wrong, but is'nt a 7/8th gyr/saker almost no different to a 100% pure gyrfalcon ?

As ive never flown one as a game hawk i dont really know,but one guy who i know that flies them at game wont fly anything less than 3/4 gyrSakers.Ive flown a 3/8thGyr/Saker male at Crows and he was crap but liked Pheasant,they do change in there personallity the more Gyr in them.As for them being the same,well just take a look at a pure Gerkin(male Gyr) price to a 7/8ths bird 3 to 4 times cheeper!

Edited by graham01

As ive never flown one as a game hawk i dont really know,but one guy who i know that flies them at game wont fly anything less than 3/4 gyrSakers.Ive flown a 3/8thGyr/Saker male at Crows and he was crap but liked Pheasant,they do change in there personallity the more Gyr in them.As for them being the same,well just take a look at a pure Gerkin(male Gyr) price to a 7/8ths bird 3 to 4 times cheeper!

just out of couriosity pal how much would a pure gyr female falcon cost

Cheapest I know off would be a grey female at 3 - 3,500k. Well thats what my friend/mentor who I dog handle for bought his in at.is'nt it only the male (jerkin) 7/8ths that differ so much in price ? As grey/silver/dark females I've seen only went a little cheaper (£500) than the pure 100% stock females ????

Edited by fieldfare

Cheapest I know off would be a grey female at 3 - 3,500k. Well thats what my friend/mentor who I dog handle for bought his in at.is'nt it only the male (jerkin) 7/8ths that differ so much in price ? As grey/silver/dark females I've seen only went a little cheaper (£500) than the pure 100% stock females ????

You get a white female Gyr it will cost you £10000 to £12000 quite a bit more for a very white bird (up to £50000 in Usa for ultra whites)a similar 7/8ths white female ive seen go for £6000 i dont even know what a very black would cost.At 3500 your mate got a cheap bird (depending on age)as ive seen last year silver/grey Jerkins going for that and more,White jerkins £5000 up.

You get a white female Gyr it will cost you £10000 to £12000 quite a bit more for a very white bird (up to £50000 in Usa for ultra whites)a similar 7/8ths white female ive seen go for £6000 i dont even know what a very black would cost.At 3500 your mate got a cheap bird (depending on age)as ive seen last year silver/grey Jerkins going for that and more,White jerkins £5000 up.

Okay, It's just that I have a curios mind as my friend has black and grey gyrfalcons from Martin Jones And Danny Erhstgard (spelling ?) bloodlines. He sold his black female 7/8ths for the same price almost at what he'd charge for a pure female I think.

Okay, It's just that I have a curios mind as my friend has black and grey gyrfalcons from Martin Jones And Danny Erhstgard (spelling ?) bloodlines. He sold his black female 7/8ths for the same price almost at what he'd charge for a pure female I think.

Ah,if you read my post again blacks are a different thing.You always gat blacker hawks when you add a bit of Saker,the very black 7/8ths birds do go for quite a lot of moulah!

• 1 month later...

Ground quarry all the way :victory:

Baz

Hi Mate ....How did you hunt your bird....was it at flushed rabbits or bolted rabbits ???? what would you say was your success rate ????...sorry about so many questions am just curious....cheers Davy

• Like 1

In Britain I doubt you will have much luck in flying a longwing on rabbit, brown hares. I know of two people who have "dabbled" with home bred female gyr/peregrine & gyr/saker on September brown hares, the decks soon get smashed up and I would say for the time, effort envolved dont really justify the rewards from what I observed.

Stick to Gos, Redtail, harris for all round rabbit & hare hawks in the UK :victory:

Edited by fieldfare

In Britain I doubt you will have much luck in flying a longwing on rabbit, brown hares. I know of two people who have "dabbled" with home bred female gyr/peregrine & gyr/saker on hare, the decks soon get smashed up and I would say for the time, effort envolved dont really justify the rewards.

Stick to Gos, Redtail, harris for all round ground game in the UK :victory:

Hi... i wasnt thinkin about gettin one a was just curious to see if many people flew them and what sort of returns are to be had...i fly a female harris myself ...have done for a few years now ....am more than happy with hunting her ....cheers Davy