Tips and help for beginners

• 7 months later...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought that this could be a post for folks to ask questions and to start it off I have put some photos up of the gear that I use when I go pigeon shooting. If anyone wants to ask me questions they

This post's a good idea, so many times the same questions are asked by newbies. While off work for a long period and with the newbies in mind I sat and wrote a paper on the basics from gun to decoyin

For all you tight wads (like my self ), take 4 of the £2.99 washing line poles from wilko's or similar and work out what length you want to extend them cut the excess length from the bottom pole the

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

how do you find the pidgeons flight lines? and how do you decide what pattern to lay your decoys out in?? i also want the pigeons to come in and land for a quick pop with the air rifle.. any tips? cheers arran

Edited by ARRAN
  • 1 month later...

ive recently just started pigeon shooting..and so far ive barely scared a few of the shifty gits....i walk between two fields with smallish woodland at each end....when im at one end of the field sat in the hedge...there is nothing....look to the other end in the other woodland...flocks of em....i upsticks and sneak down to the other woodland..and guess what..yup.....drives me nuts....im now going to purchase some netting and some decoys and see if that helps....but all over this land there is plenty of pigeon...but they just seem to be having a laugh at me....they always stay well clear of me,when i spot them...i move onto them only for them to disappear....its bloody amazing..they aint stupid them birds you know.

This post's a good idea, so many times the same questions are asked by newbies.

While off work for a long period and with the newbies in mind I sat and wrote a paper on the basics from gun to decoying to pass some time.

Just recently again off work I gave it a re-write and added some pics and diagrams anyone that wants a copy is welcome to it, im no writer but its been out to a few folk on another forum and had nice comments .

Just message me your e-mail addy and i will forward it .

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought that this could be a post for folks to ask questions and to start it off I have put some photos up of the gear that I use when I go pigeon shooting. If anyone wants to ask me questions they can either on the forum or by pm. If anyone has any tips or how to make cheap pigeon decoy equipment then lets see it.

As you can see I have an old golf carry bag to put my hide poles in, the net is strapped to it and a hammer and foot stays go in the zip pocket.

post-9766-1255983729_thumb.jpg

post-9766-1255983747_thumb.jpg

An old net bag to put decoys in.

post-9766-1255983763_thumb.jpg

What gun is it?

post-9766-1255983779_thumb.jpg

Green overals

post-9766-1255983810_thumb.jpg

I know I have left myself open for the urine takers but hey ho lets help the beginners we may all learn from each other.

• 3 weeks later...

i got a single barrel 12 bore i had for a few mounths i havent shot any thing with it. i think its summit to do with the gun at the tip top of the stock theres a bit of steel taller than the copper thing at the end of the barrle.

its called a Single barrel baikel. have a look on google and see what you think....

what you say the best for lureing magpies and crows?

I often teather my owl and harris hawk in the back garden and within a space of 15 mins the trees around the garden are black with crows.. seriously there is loads all the time.. David Fox or other garden centers sell plastic bird garden ornaments best bet is get any that look like birds of prey and put them where you are hunting. The crows will come and sit around them waiting till they think there is enough of them to attack the BOP.. trust me u will bag a lot of crows & maggies (only if your a good shot mind lol) :victory:

Edited by Staffy1993
  • 2 months later...

While off work for a long period and with the newbies in mind I sat and wrote a paper on the basics from gun to decoying to pass some time.

Just recently again off work I gave it a re-write and added some pics and diagrams anyone that wants a copy is welcome to it, im no writer but its been out to a few folk on another forum and had nice comments .

here mate il take any tps you have as i want to take up pigeon shooting my email is gerdy32@hotmail.co.uk thanks

As for setting out your decoys here is a good basic link http://homepage.eircom.net/~jamesanthonyryan/Decoy%20Patterns.htm

an important thing to do is find the flight line and use a bit of field craft, dont be in a hurry to set up and shoot have a good look before setting up, i put the pigeon up a few times to see if they are dedicated to the field before setting up.

At the end of the day put the effort in and it will pay off, pigeon shooting is the best shooting experiences to have and can be very addictive :thumbs:

• 3 months later...