Tips and help for beginners

hi just got back from a amorning out with my new s510 i took my decoys out with me and set them up in a feild where i know theres pigeons about. I sat there for a hour and nothing landed. Anyone got any tips as im new to this game much apprieciated. GAZ :thumbs:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought that this could be a post for folks to ask questions and to start it off I have put some photos up of the gear that I use when I go pigeon shooting. If anyone wants to ask me questions they

This post's a good idea, so many times the same questions are asked by newbies. While off work for a long period and with the newbies in mind I sat and wrote a paper on the basics from gun to decoyin

For all you tight wads (like my self ), take 4 of the £2.99 washing line poles from wilko's or similar and work out what length you want to extend them cut the excess length from the bottom pole the

Posted Images

hi just got back from a amorning out with my new s510 i took my decoys out with me and set them up in a feild where i know theres pigeons about. I sat there for a hour and nothing landed. Anyone got any tips as im new to this game much apprieciated. GAZ :thumbs:

I am afraid thats pigeon shooting. you may want to keep an eye on the area before shooting to see what the pigeons are feeding on as it varies from area to area.

The basics are put your decoys out in a "U" shape into the wind and make yourself a hide, cover your hands and face the best you can and the rest is trial and error and learn by your mistakes.

Its like riding a bike the more you do it the more confident you get.

Notice I didnt say the better you get.

And keep asking questions!!! Good luck

The best part of hunting for me is the satisfaction of using stuff you make yourself rather than just buying it from a shop!

Wilko's clothes props make excellent hide poles, but my execution is different...

Remove the plastic bung from the bottom and crimp the bottom up (vice is useful!) then at around 14" up from the bottom, I have drilled an 8mm hole.

Make as many of these as you want at £3 each.

Now the tricky part, I made up a removable footpeg from a piece of pipe slightly larger diameter than the pole, cut in half and a piece of 1/4" rodwith a 90 degree bend 1" from one end and 3" remaining. I welded a gusset onto the half pipe channel, the the rod (bending upwards) onto the gusset.

The finished article slots into the hole in the clothes prop, then drops down onto the length of the prop, forming a footpeg - push prop into the floor then remove peg and use on the next prop (you can even put the peg into a prop upside down and use it to pull the prop out).

The best part of hunting for me is the satisfaction of using stuff you make yourself rather than just buying it from a shop!

Wilko's clothes props make excellent hide poles, but my execution is different...

Remove the plastic bung from the bottom and crimp the bottom up (vice is useful!) then at around 14" up from the bottom, I have drilled an 8mm hole.

Make as many of these as you want at £3 each.

Now the tricky part, I made up a removable footpeg from a piece of pipe slightly larger diameter than the pole, cut in half and a piece of 1/4" rodwith a 90 degree bend 1" from one end and 3" remaining. I welded a gusset onto the half pipe channel, the the rod (bending upwards) onto the gusset.

The finished article slots into the hole in the clothes prop, then drops down onto the length of the prop, forming a footpeg - push prop into the floor then remove peg and use on the next prop (you can even put the peg into a prop upside down and use it to pull the prop out).

Lerk

I got some green ones off the little market opposite Dents in town for £1.50, had to barter him down and bought 5, wife nicked one though.

Have you a photo of your design?

Hcc

post-26455-126030663531_thumb.jpg

Excuse the quality of the welding, thats TIG with no gas for you!... This was supposed to be a prototype so I wasn't too bothered about it, but i've never got round to making another cos rough as it is, this one works!

i was out this morning walking around my hunting grounds and there was 8 woodies sitting in the middle of the feild. Once they'd moved on i went and had a look to see what they had been feeding on. When i got to where they were feeding there was'nt anything there. Im just wondering do they feed on grass?

i was out this morning walking around my hunting grounds and there was 8 woodies sitting in the middle of the feild. Once they'd moved on i went and had a look to see what they had been feeding on. When i got to where they were feeding there was'nt anything there. Im just wondering do they feed on grass?

Was there any clover or spilt barley etc??

The farmer just use's the land to graze his horses on. I know they roost around the edge of the feild in big oaks. not to sure if theres clover in the feild tho. Im just woundering if they have any feeding times do they prefer morning, mid day or evening?? cheers

The farmer just use's the land to graze his horses on. I know they roost around the edge of the feild in big oaks. not to sure if theres clover in the feild tho. Im just woundering if they have any feeding times do they prefer morning, mid day or evening?? cheers

First thing in the morning they will be hungry after roosting all night and the rest of the day just keep an eye on the field and see when other times they will be feeding. Do they roost in the big oaks cos you could wait for them coming in to roost just before dusk.

what you say the best for lureing magpies and crows?

The best day I ever had with rooks and crows was during the miners strike 1986ish and I got about 50 odd and I ran out of cartridges. All I had was pigeon decoys and one rook decoy and when I shot some rooks that came down I put them out and they just kept coming. An old fella that used to work at the pit at that time said he used to use old black boot soles as rook/crow decoys, now how true that was I dont know but it stuck in my mind.

Has anyone got any tips/photos on making a home made Ghillie suit?

hey man about the ghille suit thing well igot volley ball netting and tied burlap strips to the netting in the end it turned out cheaper to just buy 1 off ebay or some where but thats how i made mine hope it helps

Edited by shotgunny
  • 3 weeks later...