Tips and help for beginners

I thought that this could be a post for folks to ask questions and to start it off I have put some photos up of the gear that I use when I go pigeon shooting. If anyone wants to ask me questions they can either on the forum or by pm. If anyone has any tips or how to make cheap pigeon decoy equipment then lets see it.

As you can see I have an old golf carry bag to put my hide poles in, the net is strapped to it and a hammer and foot stays go in the zip pocket.

post-9766-1255983729_thumb.jpg

post-9766-1255983747_thumb.jpg

An old net bag to put decoys in.

post-9766-1255983763_thumb.jpg

post-9766-1255983779_thumb.jpg

Green overals

post-9766-1255983810_thumb.jpg

I know I have left myself open for the urine takers but hey ho lets help the beginners we may all learn from each other.

• Like 5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought that this could be a post for folks to ask questions and to start it off I have put some photos up of the gear that I use when I go pigeon shooting. If anyone wants to ask me questions they

This post's a good idea, so many times the same questions are asked by newbies. While off work for a long period and with the newbies in mind I sat and wrote a paper on the basics from gun to decoyin

For all you tight wads (like my self ), take 4 of the £2.99 washing line poles from wilko's or similar and work out what length you want to extend them cut the excess length from the bottom pole the

Posted Images

Keep em coming :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Yes it was my daughters carry bag but it carries the hide poles,net, hammer and the pigs tail to tie the terrier to. :D

Its a wonder no ones mentioned the pigs tail ;)

ok fella piss take over,what i would say is to try and scale amount of kit down as much as you can and travel light,all ways be prepared to move,nothing worse than sitting in a hide one end of a field only to watch them dropping in at the other,sporting shooter mag done a write up about painting plastic coke bottles and alike for home made deeks if money tight or a youngster just starting out just to get them on their way,i hardly ever take hide poles as i shoot from the hedgerows,i usually cut a pole where im gonna shoot and then string out my net with a couple elastic bungees so they come in very handy as part of your kit list atvb rob

For all you tight wads (like my self :rolleyes: ), take 4 of the £2.99 washing line poles from wilko's or similar and work out what length you want to extend them cut the excess length from the bottom pole then take 4 of the plastic type electric fence posts ( i scrounged broken ones from a livery yard that i have permission on, theres usually a few snapped ones laying around farms etc) and cut them 4 inches up from the foot plate then take an angle grinder and grind the remaining post down untill it can be pushed up into the bottom of the bottom of the washing line pole, when grinding take care to only take small quantities off when its getting close to fitting as you want the fit to be as tight as possible.

I measured 28 inches down from the plastic collar on the bottom part of the pole and cut it off there ( remember to extend the pole first or you'll cut both sections). To be honest there still a bit long when closed up but i'll use them like this for now and if i find it a problem ill just cut the top section just below the top plastic g hook, knock that out of the metal pole (as there are small crimps to hold it in place) cut the top section to the required length replace the g hook and punch some more crimps in to hold it in place with a center punch.

It will take you around 20 mins each to do these including the top section so i've probably made it sound more work than it is, I was going to use a strong adhesive to hold the fencepost in the bottom but decided not to bother incase one snaps so i can just replace it , as long as you make sure there a really tight fit i dont think it will be neccerary.

Adam

Edited by adam1
  • Like 2

harrycatcat, feel free mate as i,m not going to the dragons den with this one :D .

Lindsay I really am a technophobe but will have a play with my camera tommorrow and see if i can suss how to do it, anyone else that fancies putting piccies up if they do this conversion feel free, It is really simple though litterally cut the poles to your desired length and stuff the fencepost up the bottom tube of your pole, job done ;)

Edited by adam1

Harry here are the pics of the decoys we used.

As I said very basic but I think you just need enough to look like a 'flock'

The paintwork could be 'tarted up' but these have worked for me on endless occasions.

A mate did make some out of 5" half round guttering years ago and they worked as well!

The white is the template once you have made a few they are just folded round and stapled at the front at the chest.

Then you just paint em up and make a few wires to stop em from blowing away.

They stack well and around 25 - 30 decoys takes up no more space than one full bodied plastic decoy!

Last pic shows view from 'above'.

Just a basic pigeon shape but believe me they work!

post-12745-1256236269_thumb.jpg

Edited by masmiffy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

as im new to decoying i need lots ot tips ,one of them is what time do you usually set up do you find they feed am and then pm do you have quite parts of the day?

nothing beats observation, passing feilds, you'll see them at different times, make a note, and see another day

Has anyone got any tips/photos on making a home made Ghillie suit?

Go on to youtube and type in "the art of camouflage"

Thanks for that there were a few to look at, I think I will stick to the "hide" and carry the poles.

Has anyone got any designs/photos for a home made pigeon cradle that holds the wings out?????

About my suggestion for making hide poles with the bottom section of electric fence posts, DONT DO IT IT'S A CRAP IDEA :thumbdown::angry: Sorry to anybody who has tried it. The problem is when taking all the plastic off so it will fit up the inside of the pole all the strength goes with it, so all thats left for me to say is sorry for wasting yout time lads.

Adam