Old type ferrets

ye met guys in gran canaria who used them for donkeys theyw ere called orones , thye had hollowed out ,a type of cactus had ends on it varnished it that was there carrying case ,met them and there dog son holiday for several years had some laughs , i told them what the scottish borders was like in its haey day for rabbits they blew a fuse ,

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice pair of Albinos John.   Small Ferrets are nice to have, just that bit easier for everything   Cheers,   Shaun

I also keep a hutch full of the greyhound type, although none of mine are albino , polecats and silvers

I can remember ferrets kept by old poachers [bANNED TEXT] i was a kid that were always albinos and slim with arched backs as i got older i did put this down to the bred & milk diet that was mainly

Posted Images

good pic you look a [bANNED TEXT] geezer , nice bitch , ive got some crachers from a youngster with the flares highwasters and greyhounds ,lol spent from 10 till 16 at the track as adog boy walking them round track and thengetting them rabbits at weekends ,most of the tracks are gone now had some good nites with my mad irish uncles who spent a fortune on drinkand gambling , but they had it

A few years ago when I was a youth [ about the time England won the world cup ] nearly all the ferrets around my area were whites quite long and thin with an arched back and it seemed to be a long way from their front legs to their nose which was long and snipy not like the ones I have now small and short coupled with a round face they work very well but I would like to get some of the old type ones if any one breeds them like that any more. If any one does breed them like this and has a couple spare please get in touch . pokey

Hi mate, I've got meself some handy sized gills, a good length, can handle buck rabbits and work rats and can walk through nets easily.

They're still about mate. I had a hell of a time shifting the surplus this year :icon_eek:

Still, not everyone likes small ferrets.

wouldnt thank you for a small feret mate as they cant handle agod hill rabbit i dont do the mad 4 days a week rabbiting not got the rabbits ,but if i did no small strong dug firets or big bitches as they say up my way

spot on whin they cant handle the big rabbits up north :wallbash:

DSCF0729.jpg

DSCF0722.jpg

digging right as the light was fading after 8 hours of work, little jill with a dead rabbit :thumbs:

DSCF0428.jpg

another full day ending at darkness. do i need to continu proving a point whin :whistling:

DSCF0412.jpg

Edited by TOMO

worked them four days aweek average 30 to50 a day for three seasons the decent sized dog ferrets and one big bitch i had worked better three little ones well was not at the races as they say your talking about very cold weather not autum time all the pro rabbit trappers up my way on the hill land preferd dog ferrets , you maybe get the odd good small one but overall i like a good fast dog ferret that can hack weather and have a better constituition full stop had little ones not holding rabbs and had to be laid up after twelve, saw the little ones when 3 belo saying fech tjhis when the winds howling and the strong dog ferrets still working only based on expierence, .nothing worse when your digging allday on shallo land and they cant hold the rabbit or bottle him up , you maybe diffrent down your way but would had have two small ones to every good dog ferret i had ,had several people up worked them three days in arow and the old dog feret rex was there the rest well like the guys who came with me from yorkshire said some ferret , ill say no more just born out of expierence look back to early ninties with d slieght ian clay about dog ferrets in the hills i think maybe 94

when youre out on the hill allday season after season in shitty conditions the last thing i thought about was standing for a camera ,i left that to the many visitors i had from england wales and usa , you no why cause its your job like doing the lobsters or working on site i dont take pics of every day i work not got the time leave that to otheres tomo ,to me people who are snap happy ,its a whall factor pnever thought it a whall factor just money and life and sometimes fun,take the odd photo if its big rabit 4 and half popund lus or a big roe 50lb plus butt hats about it mate

learnt that many years ago when i first got locators got pissd of with ferrets not holding or dispatchin game ,day in day out ,been tried and tested, ock eye son of chingaschook lol, as youngsters the wee ferrets were fine as we only ever walked and well rabbits were in no great abundace but once got wheels and found big rabbit areas soon lernt what worked and that was twenty years ago

when youre out on the hill allday season after season in shitty conditions the last thing i thought about was standing for a camera ,i left that to the many visitors i had from england wales and usa , you no why cause its your job like doing the lobsters or working on site i dont take pics of every day i work not got the time leave that to otheres tomo ,to me people who are snap happy ,its a whall factor pnever thought it a whall factor just money and life and sometimes fun,take the odd photo if its big rabit 4 and half popund lus or a big roe 50lb plus butt hats about it mate

oh back to the photo thing again :wallbash: im with you in the old days hardly ever took one,

but it just my opinion, and your opinion is just that, your opinion.

but you just dissmiss evry thing even when prooff is put up in front of you.

show me what you call small ferrets .just an opion well it worked for several mate and they were all at the rabbits form edinburgh to the highleands once locators wereon the go and we had acsees to big numbes i relied after christmas on the dog ferretsas not all rabbits bolted but you get agood strong ferret biting you or holding you can diig down and dispatch had to many small ones fail to hold and nothng worse ,used to work 10 ferrets and mostly seven , but he dog ferrets lasted the longest mate , or i would had stuck to the little ferrets as theyw ere lighter to carry and not as wild at times , any way its al history and maybe oneday when im not as fit go back to that game if there any rabbits left

The late great Brian....................................how I miss him so.

DSC_1219.jpg

Carol...................

DSC_0372.jpg

Linda......................

DSC_0259-2.jpg

Brenda..................

DSC_1262.jpg

Beverly.................................

DSC_1271.jpg

Tracey.........................................

DSC_1270.jpg

Bert and Bob.....................................

04-07-07_1830-1.jpg

Big Beryl.................

smalljill-2.jpg

Edited by -=Magwitch=-