Old type ferrets

Guest RN-Rabbit-Control
The sibling hobs from the same lines are much more square than the jills, and look far more stocky. Albino ferrets have been a reliable working ferret up north.

If they come from certain lines, then they are dying out year by year as the ferret fashion police breed the none workers.

I have three jills, all are similar in frame.

Two will be bred next year (none bred this year).

I've got a strain of albino's that look like peas in a pod to Brimmers, I got them from someone local to me 16 years ago, I don't know where they came from originally but as Brimmer says this type have definatly been bred "Up North" for donkeys years.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice pair of Albinos John.   Small Ferrets are nice to have, just that bit easier for everything   Cheers,   Shaun

I also keep a hutch full of the greyhound type, although none of mine are albino , polecats and silvers

I can remember ferrets kept by old poachers [bANNED TEXT] i was a kid that were always albinos and slim with arched backs as i got older i did put this down to the bred & milk diet that was mainly

Posted Images

The sibling hobs from the same lines are much more square than the jills, and look far more stocky. Albino ferrets have been a reliable working ferret up north.

If they come from certain lines, then they are dying out year by year as the ferret fashion police breed the none workers.

Your ferrets are very like the ones i saw when i first kept ferrets, yours look solid as well not these scrawney weedy things you sometimes see , today you hardly ever see lean ferrets , they seem to be far more weighty & a totally different shape

They are just workers Kay, natural selection, call it what you will.

Hopefully there will still be decent workers on the othere end of the scale when i need a line.

I've got a strain of albino's that look like peas in a pod to Brimmers, I got them from someone local to me 16 years ago, I don't know where they came from originally but as Brimmer says this type have definatly been bred "Up North" for donkeys years.

Hope you carry on mate, will need a bloodline soon enough!

Greyhound ferrets :hmm: ...well the 3 jills i have at the moment are all different shapes & sizes.1 is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand,the other is long,slender,pointed face & arched back,the other is broad faced & shaped like a wedge.Personaly i don't care what type of fert they are as long as they are of a pleasent nature,sociable & do their graft when asked.

A good working fert is worth it's weight in rabbits regardless of size,type...IMO.

Greyhound ferrets :hmm: ...well the 3 jills i have at the moment are all different shapes & sizes.1 is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand,the other is long,slender,pointed face & arched back,the other is broad faced & shaped like a wedge.Personaly i don't care what type of fert they are as long as they are of a pleasent nature,sociable & do their graft when asked.

A good working fert is worth it's weight in rabbits regardless of size,type...IMO.

Yours are worth more than there weight in rabbits Andy! ;)

i have 2 polcat types thay are really skinny with arched backs and another small jill but the polcat ones i have are mutch smaller i will see if i cam get some pictures up [bANNED TEXT] i next have them out and yous can have a look and tell me what yous think of them

Asked this question last year, heard the term greyhound ferrets from lots of old boys, and my old man as well, but none of them could tell me what a greyhound ferret was!

This to my knowledge is the best i can get.

A lean ferret, usually an albino jill, long in the back almost springy like.

Are these two anything like by anyone's standards?

DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

appparently they was used by miners , not sure how true this is & they are also favoured by falconers ,mine are supposed to be greyhound type, the mother & father came from a guy in wales who is well known for breeding this type of ferret

( 20yrs apparently ) & my kits are from those two siblings breeding , as long as they are good workers thats all that matters i understand what you are saying , although i did want smaller type ferrets, it is how they work that matters in the end,

regards john

Guest RN-Rabbit-Control

Hope you carry on mate, will need a bloodline soon enough!

Same here mate, we could do with having a swap sometime.