Long range sights

OK. I recently got involved with a thread about .204 Ruger on rimfire . . . This is still theory at the moment, Mr Armchair asking silly questions. When I leave University at the young age of 62 next year I plan to take up field shooting. Assuming I can get a ticket for centrefire I hope to build a serious long range varminter in .204. 26" barrel, ya-di-da. The places where I will mostly be shooting are on the South Downs. Big fields, open country, definitely sniper not stalker.

So . . . How much 'scope do I need? First thought is 6-24 but is that enough for long range crows/pigeons? The longest shot I know about with a .204 is a grey crow at 518 yards. That suggests to me that I might want 8-32 x 56?

All opinions welcome, except the ones that say "Yer blind old git get a long mag shottie that way yer might hit summat"

Ta.

RicW

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I recently got involved with a thread about .204 Ruger on rimfire . . . This is still theory at the moment, Mr Armchair asking silly questions. When I leave University at the young age of 62 next year I plan to take up field shooting. Assuming I can get a ticket for centrefire I hope to build a serious long range varminter in .204. 26" barrel, ya-di-da. The places where I will mostly be shooting are on the South Downs. Big fields, open country, definitely sniper not stalker.

So . . . How much 'scope do I need? First thought is 6-24 but is that enough for long range crows/pigeons? The longest shot I know about with a .204 is a grey crow at 518 yards. That suggests to me that I might want 8-32 x 56?

All opinions welcome, except the ones that say "Yer blind old git get a long mag shottie that way yer might hit summat"

Ta.

RicW

hi rick im not into longrange shooting but i would think if you want to go long range 500 yards plus then 40 grain bullets form a 204 wouldnt be 1st choice ???

as your having a rifle built then what about 22br round. bigger range of bullets and real long distance with one would be easier then a 204.22/250 speed,less powder,and better accuracy

im not saying the 204 couldnt do it but limited by bullet weight. on youtube there is a 22br at 1000 yards ! a nightforce scope would suite your needs im guessing

as they have alot of adjustment

Edited by jamie g

Ta.

RicW

hi rick im not into longrange shooting but i would think if you want to go long range 500 yards plus then 40 grain bullets form a 204 wouldnt be 1st choice ???

as your having a rifle built then what about 22br round. bigger range of bullets and real long distance with one would be easier then a 204.22/250 speed,less powder,and better accuracy

im not saying the 204 couldnt do it but limited by bullet weight. on youtube there is a 22br at 1000 yards ! a nightforce scope would suite your needs im guessing

as they have alot of adjustment have a look here http://www.6mmbr.com/22BR.html

Ta.

RicW

Jamie -

I'm pretty well decided on calibre. If I were to be tempted away from .204, it would be 5mm/35 SMc. 30gr round, 4800fps MV? Oo-er pretty scarey. What I am looking at now is how much magnification do I need for small quarry at ranges up to 500 yds? If it all works out as I hope I'll be able to put a Zeiss 6-24 x 56 or equivalent on THER BEAST.

Snap - my prejudices all say "single mag scope, KISS. (Keep It Simple Stupid)" but I reckon I'll need to use it as a sighting scope as well as aiming.

RicW

Am I missing the point, do you want a scope to see a small target a long way off or are you concerned about elevation.

Or Both perhaps?

On a .204 with the right cartridge MOST scopes should be able to cope with the drop to 3-4-500Yards, but a mildot scope could also be very useful!

Magnification wise it comes down to how good your eyes are as well!! :thumbs:

I have taken bunnies past 250 yards on 6x mag, so it is really down to your own preferences!

ATB

Am I missing the point, do you want a scope to see a small target a long way off or are you concerned about elevation.

Or Both perhaps?

On a .204 with the right cartridge MOST scopes should be able to cope with the drop to 3-4-500Yards, but a mildot scope could also be very useful!

Magnification wise it comes down to how good your eyes are as well!! :thumbs:

I have taken bunnies past 250 yards on 6x mag, so it is really down to your own preferences!

ATB

Mainly seeing the quarry! My eyesight is, er, well, er, less good than it once was - and it wasn't all that good in the first place. Before any one has a go at me for risking shots I can't be sure of making, that is why I'm investigating as much as possible now, and why I am prepared to pay for top line glass.

Actually, the Leupold 15x Tactical appeals to me. If that Canadian sniper could pick off a Taliban machine gunner at 2657 yards with one it should do the biz for Charley at 400 yards!

Ric

check out the night force range ric. alot of longrange shooters seam to have them. they have good recticals for varmint shooting to.

my dream scope would be the zeiss 6x24x56 with 60 rectical

Thanks Jamie. The Zeiss is in my top three. I fancy the 72mm objective but Jayzus will ye look at the price!

I'll check out Nightforce.

Ric

the vx111 leupold is one of the main contenders in long range shooting, and not to be sneezed at, also look as the zesis conquest range,

i have the leupold LR/T mark 4 wih the M1 turrets nd i wouldn't change it... i find it excellent...

Theres just so much to choose from... lol

good luck.

Snap.

check out the night force range ric. alot of longrange shooters seam to have them. they have good recticals for varmint shooting to.

my dream scope would be the zeiss 6x24x56 with 60 rectical

Thanks Jamie. The Zeiss is in my top three. I fancy the 72mm objective but Jayzus will ye look at the price!

I'll check out Nightforce.

Ric

72 is a big front lens ric and you would have pretty high mounts on that so the front dont touch the barrel. ior could be worth a look with big range of adjustment on the turrets

the vx111 leupold is one of the main contenders in long range shooting, and not to be sneezed at, also look as the zesis conquest range,

i have the leupold LR/T mark 4 wih the M1 turrets nd i wouldn't change it... i find it excellent...

Theres just so much to choose from... lol

good luck.

Snap.

conquest is good i have one. not really shot at long range tho. what i would say is your have to have it on a high mount system as there isnt many clicks left on the turrets when mounted on normal mounts

Edited by jamie g

Ta.

RicW

I've actually got meself a bit away from the point. I'm not concerned about make, TBH. What I'm trying to sort out is the right magnification, field of view, reticle, etc etc, for a high velocity small calibre rifle to be used at 100 - 500 yards on "varmints" ie rabbits, crows and pigeons on the ground and fox if the chance arises. If it works out as I hope I will be sitting in a hide with 400 - 500 yards of open field available and if it gets into my field of view and moves it won't move for long!

Ric

If thats the case i'd recommend a fine duplex ret. With a good set of turrets, like the m1 range on leupold... or nightforce range.

varmint ret. will be too cluttered for extended range i find....

Snap.

Snap - you and me both. I learned to shoot long range with aperture sights. As you know, you can't "aim off". Dial it in, boy, dial it in. As I said above, KISS. I don't want all this crap in my field of view . . .

Looks like a fixed mag scope, around 12x, 1/4 MOA/click turrets is gonna be my best bet. Back to where I started from. Now, if you want to talk maker I've taken a lot of long shots with a camera. Nikon make some classy 'scopes . . . and they always were the best glass . . .

Ric