09 male harris

mr2jan

hi to everyone,

my names jan i bought an 09 male harris off of a guy called barry murkin in norfolk,hes flying well at the moment and im introducing him to hunting hes taken 1 rabbit and a pigeon so far,he chased a cock pheasant the other day but pulled up??im finding it a bit hard as im a lone ranger down here i have no one to show me the ropes do i just persevere and keep flying him at quarry or what ?? it just seems he cant be arsed somedays and just watches rabbits bolt from holes,

suggestions would be awesome

post-38658-1255510808_thumb.jpg

my hawk oz use to do that i found the best way was to put his weight down a little bit more i go out on my own alot and have worked out some things on my own but i am on the internationalm falcon forum and you do get alot of help there to i now have a thew people around where i live that i can ask but i wouldnt have none they where there if not for the forum try that as well

Edited by everiss

Hello mate, if he is chasing quarry and pulling off at the last minute its either two things. He is not fit enough or he needs his weight dropping a bit. You can improve his fitness by fist jumping, chasing a rabbit lure up a hill and also get him following on tree to tree rather than carrying him on the fist, the fitter he gets the more confident he will become. Sounds more like he needs his weight dropping a bit if he is giving chase and already killed. Have a feel of his keel (Breast bone) it should be nice and sharp but you should still be able to feel some muscle either side. They can still be keen to the fist or follow on but refuse quarry because they are slightly too high, you just have to find their right hunting weight when they will do both, could be as little as 1/4 oz. I started my male at 1.7 3/4 and he was refusing quarry so i slowly dropped his weight and kept on with the fist jumps, hes true hunting weight turned out to be 1.7. At this weight he was like a different hawk, super fit, super keen and was taking magpies in flight off the fist, rabbits, squirrel and even had a go at hare but was kicked off. With it being an 09 bird I would keep him on single kills until he has had at least 10 rabbits and make sure you feed him up on his kill and do not rob him of it, even if it means you cannot fly him for a couple of days, it helps to build a bond and he will associate you as producing quarry for him.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Rich :)

By the way what weight are you flying him at? Looks like a nice big male, big feet as well ;)

hi cheers for all that uve said,when he caught his pigeon and the rabbit it was around 1.6 and 3/4 so lately ive been flying him at 1.6 and 1/2

i just got myself abit confused as to what it could be,

i fed him up on both kills and will continue to do so,what should i do as i cant get him on the lure and if i drop his weight any lower he screams,to get him at 1.6 and 3/4 he eats half a chick,any suggestions again anything is appreciated

post-38658-1255524496_thumb.jpg

to add a spanner in the works,...after what you guys have said i went outside and put him on his creance and flew him at his pheasant lure and he was catching it brilliantly hes never flown to the lure before,is he flying at it now as he recognises it and sees it as an easy kill,or is it just progress

post-38658-1255525352_thumb.jpg

Its not uncommon for a first year bird to be a bit vocal, especially when you are dropping its weight as it has never been this hungry before, as when with its parents it has a constant supply of food and is content so i wouldnt worry about that, they usually quiet down and totally silent second year. If you say it flys well and is keen at 1.6 1/2 try and keep it at that weight for a week and it will begin to get used to being at that weight, maybe do fist jumps for a week and weigh out its rations each day to keep its weight constant and then take it out hunting at the weekend and see how it responds. Its better to drop its weight slowly, if you do it too quickly he could go under (Low) and will show no interest or start over flying the fist. The trick is to not let him get too low as his weight will just plumett when he reaches a certain point and he will start using his liver supplies and lose any muscle he has built up and it takes a long time to get their weight back up you need to find that point just before it does this. You can tell when he is nearly empty as his splices (poo) will be very small, then greenish when totally empty. Also make sure he has cast before you weigh him so you get an accurate weight. Its just about finding his hunting weight which can be difficult, but once you have found it, its just a case of maintaining it. Hope this helps :)

If you don't really know what you are doing and you haven't got yourself a mentor what the hell are you doing with a bird? I find it incredible that none of the rest of you guys have said anything about this? You all seem to be turning a blind eye to the fact that it is this sort of thing that gets Falconry a bad name and you should ALL be ashamed to call yourself falconers. NO MENTOR? NO EXPERIENCE? = DEAD BIRD VERY SOON?

If you don't really know what you are doing and you haven't got yourself a mentor what the hell are you doing with a bird? I find it incredible that none of the rest of you guys have said anything about this? You all seem to be turning a blind eye to the fact that it is this sort of thing that gets Falconry a bad name and you should ALL be ashamed to call yourself falconers. NO MENTOR? NO EXPERIENCE? = DEAD BIRD VERY SOON?

hi dont mean to be rude but everybody starts somewhere and to bring the bird on as quickly as he has i think im doing really well,im just asking for a little bit of help or guidance on my birds hunting weight im not incompitant or useless at this the birds healthy and were both doing fine if you havnt got any suggestions or helpful ideas id rather you didnt post anything simply saying beacause i have no mentor im not good enough isnt fair,cheers jan

Its not uncommon for a first year bird to be a bit vocal, especially when you are dropping its weight as it has never been this hungry before, as when with its parents it has a constant supply of food and is content so i wouldnt worry about that, they usually quiet down and totally silent second year. If you say it flys well and is keen at 1.6 1/2 try and keep it at that weight for a week and it will begin to get used to being at that weight, maybe do fist jumps for a week and weigh out its rations each day to keep its weight constant and then take it out hunting at the weekend and see how it responds. Its better to drop its weight slowly, if you do it too quickly he could go under (Low) and will show no interest or start over flying the fist. The trick is to not let him get too low as his weight will just plumett when he reaches a certain point and he will start using his liver supplies and lose any muscle he has built up and it takes a long time to get their weight back up you need to find that point just before it does this. You can tell when he is nearly empty as his splices (poo) will be very small, then greenish when totally empty. Also make sure he has cast before you weigh him so you get an accurate weight. Its just about finding his hunting weight which can be difficult, but once you have found it, its just a case of maintaining it. Hope this helps :)

hi mate cheers for your help ill take it all into consideration,ill keep on with the fitness for a week and keep him at 1.6 1/2 and try that out cheers again youve been more than helpful,as i said before im not strugglin with the bird were doing fine just as its my first bird i want as much help as pos,not having a mentor has anything to do with it,cheers

Come on thats a bit hard there asking for help give them credit,not every one can get mentor,

hi to everyone,

my names jan i bought an 09 male harris off of a guy called barry murkin in norfolk,hes flying well at the moment and im introducing him to hunting hes taken 1 rabbit and a pigeon so far,he chased a cock pheasant the other day but pulled up??im finding it a bit hard as im a lone ranger down here i have no one to show me the ropes do i just persevere and keep flying him at quarry or what ?? it just seems he cant be arsed somedays and just watches rabbits bolt from holes,

Where abouts are you located

hi to everyone,

hi mate cheers for that he was a bit harsh,im from dover in kent,i feel im training the bird well hes fed well on varied diet works well with the dogs and ferrets and i feel ive made a great achievement as its my first hawk,and hes being a bit funny,i couldnt get a mentor but the breeder is always on the phone and i got you guys now lol.

everyone has to start somewhere and i feel im doing ok and the birds health always comes first and id never jepadise him in any way,just want the help ive asked for so i can get his full potential.

i mean hes taken a rabbit and a pigeon i just wondered why he held back on the pheasant,cheers jan

hi to everyone,

hi mate cheers for that he was a bit harsh,im from dover in kent,i feel im training the bird well hes fed well on varied diet works well with the dogs and ferrets and i feel ive made a great achievement as its my first hawk,and hes being a bit funny,i couldnt get a mentor but the breeder is always on the phone and i got you guys now lol.

everyone has to start somewhere and i feel im doing ok and the birds health always comes first and id never jepadise him in any way,just want the help ive asked for so i can get his full potential.

i mean hes taken a rabbit and a pigeon i just wondered why he held back on the pheasant,cheers jan

PM SENT

hi dont mean to be rude but everybody starts somewhere and to bring the bird on as quickly as he has i think im doing really well,im just asking for a little bit of help or guidance on my birds hunting weight im not incompitant or useless at this the birds healthy and were both doing fine if you havnt got any suggestions or helpful ideas id rather you didnt post anything simply saying beacause i have no mentor im not good enough isnt fair,cheers jan

Yes everybody has to start somewhere but what experience have you had BEFORE you got your bird? You can't learn falconry over night? You appear to be asking members of this forum how to do things that you should ALREADY KNOW! HARSH! my posts may be but I'd rather they be harsh and get my point accross first time that the bird die leaving YOU!deflated and upsett at losing somthing that you cherrish and have hopefully developed a close bond with. You will get another chance! YOU! mess up! and what chance does your bird get??