Auqauriums

Guest Rod&dog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just be careful with what you add, tiger barbs are nice but will nibble fins off everything they can. Plenty of stuff you can keep, what size is your tank, and what type of fish do you like?

and you mean neon tetras? not the hardiest fish to start a tank off, and generally will be on the menu for most things bigger than it, though some of the nicest tanks I hae seen have been well planted small tanks with a good shoal of neons under a good light, with a couple of corydoras or similar, and som wsurface fish, hatchet fish or butterfly fish.

Edited by ferreterni

I've got a small tank with neons,guppies,rosey tetras, glowlites, a plec, some catfish and a few shrimp and some assasin snails that eat other snails that manage to find their way into the tank from hitching a lift off live plants. I'm in the middle of doing my living room out and once it's finished i'm gonna get a big tank for this room with some bigish fish in it. I used to keep oscars and hand feed them worms :clapper: they were monsters but got rid of them a few years ago. good luck with your tank and don't add to many fish straight away or you'll find yourself loosing a few. Atb Kristian.

Guest Rod&dog
just be careful with what you add, tiger barbs are nice but will nibble fins off everything they can. Plenty of stuff you can keep, what size is your tank, and what type of fish do you like?

and you mean neon tetras? not the hardiest fish to start a tank off, and generally will be on the menu for most things bigger than it, though some of the nicest tanks I hae seen have been well planted small tanks with a good shoal of neons under a good light, with a couple of corydoras or similar, and som wsurface fish, hatchet fish or butterfly fish.

No There not neons there another sort of terta. Grey in colour and almost seethrough it seems. Have five of them to start the tank of. Ive been advised not to introduce neons untill the water has setteld for at least a few months. ,,The tank is only small but not tiny,, Suitible for a healthy small group of fish. ,,Olny looking for tetra type fish to keep,, So will probally wait untill the water is perfect for some more tetra sort of fish and a group of neons,, in a nicely planted tank that looks nice.

Also i left my water roughly two weeks to settle before introducing the first set of fish.

It's worth doing a pH check - most aquarium shops will do one for free - since some tetras are a bit fussy as to pH.

Neons need soft acid water for example.

Lemons and Glowlights are pretty hardy though. If you've got a 2' tank you could fit a couple of shoals of 7-8 in there, eventually. Take your time though. Rushing into stocking WILL lead to fish kills, as I was reminded to my cost recently...... :icon_redface:

I always set up the tanks and get the filtration system going before introducing fish, kept both coldwater and tropical including Cichlids/Piranha/Gouramis/Oscars/Koi/Goldfish/Plecostomus etc etc..................Not in the same tanks :D

It takes several weeks for the media in the filtration system to produce usefull bacteria, ensure you clean the sponge media in water from the tank and not under a tap as the water wil kill the bacteria and the process will have to start all over again...........

Guest Rod&dog

Ive had my tetras for about 2 weeks now,, How long should i let them settle in before re fubishing the tank,, Im not happy with how it looks at the moment with ilumionous green stones on the bottom ,, Plus want to add a few more plants and move my existing plants around. The fish seem to be quiet and not as active yet,, only one or two are active while the other thee seem to be most of the time in the corner they favour hiding in plant cover very rarely coming up, Would any of you who have had fish for longer be able to shed some light?

i used to keep them years ago tigers tetras zebras, i had a redtail shark that i liked, plec, whiptail catfish (nice) got a pair of cichlids given but they dug the tank up so i got rid, i had one of the upside down catfish (no not dead) not sure the correct name, a few loach but managed to jump out the tank, gouramis, feck thats all i can remember, i was 14 :D , my little lad was asking for a tank and fish, so i might treat us both :D

Guest Rod&dog

Cheers Simoman,, you seem to know a bit about the old fish.

Its just the most repulsive bottom stone colour ever, When the times right i want to make it look more natural ,, Also do you think the fish are still being quiet after a week and a half due to not being settled in yet.

Also mine look like this below, But have a red colour in the tale.

flag_tetra.JPG

They will probably take a few weeks to become acustomed to their new surroundings. Just do a weekly water test and a 10% water change and gravel clean. It may be worth setting up an isolation tank when the time comes to change the substrate so the water quality and temperature dont shock the fish.........

Best of luck