Seagulls.

Just purely out of interest, what is the way to cull common seagulls? They're not on the general license are they? But heck, they're a pest around here; such a nuisance! And I'm sure an under 12ft/lb air rifle would easily take them out, but how would one go about doing it (legally)? As in, would one need a specific license to do so and would it require more than an air rifle?

you have to get a lisence to cull gulls

and i think that only applies to on ur property

yes a 12ft/lb air ruifle is more than capable with a head shot

i find the best method is wait untill dark with a well silenced gun :whistling:

Is it on the general license? Oh, wow, I could've sworn they weren't...thanks!

From 1st March 2005,Bird Pest Quarry list under the Wildlife and Countryside Act "General License" includes the following, Woodpigeon, Feral pigeon, Crow, Rook, Magpie, Jackdaw, Jay, Herring Gulls, Greater Blackbacked Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, collered doves, and Canada geese.

Alan

Guest hyperion

i must have shot thousands of herring and black back gull when i lived down cornwall!

when ever we had bbq my ex would look after he food and i used to have to stand guard with the TX200 and pick them off the roof as they landed other wise they would steal the grub off the grill even if you were there!

cheers

hyperion

Yep, the general license same as the rest of the birds on the vermin list.

i must have shot thousands of herring and black back gull when i lived down cornwall!

when ever we had bbq my ex would look after he food and i used to have to stand guard with the TX200 and pick them off the roof as they landed other wise they would steal the grub off the grill even if you were there!

cheers

hyperion

They're b*****ds Pete. :yes::angry:

They used to swoop down into the garden a take sarnies off my kids when they were small. The bloody tourists don't help, they feed the feckers and they become bold as brass.

I walked past a woman and her kid a few years back, and they were sat on a bench feeding chips to a flock of them. As I walked past I heard this daft bint say to her son, "Give the ducks a chip!" :blink:

Stupid f**kers! :laugh:

there is no such bird as a seagull

Herring Gulls, Greater Blackbacked Gull and Lesser Black Backed Gull are on the general licence.

all other sea birds are protected ( terns, other gulls etc)

the same law applies to the above as all general licence birds.

if they are a pest, a hazard to public health and safety etc.

everyone should be familiar with the general licence before shooting!!!

atb

sean

there is no such bird as a seagull

everyone should be familiar with the general licence before shooting!!!

I know that there isn't a bird actually called seagulls, but you know what I mean.

And I never previously considered shooting them; I live about as inland as you can possibly get in Britain, but there is a couple of massive flocks around.

And Maltenby, I was walking my dog down by the local green that has a football pitch on, there was a guy playing with his eleven or so year old son. I was busy admiring the forty to fifty house martins whizzing around twenty feet from the ground, and kid says "Dad, look at all those birds!", and his dad replies "Yeah, they're red kites, amazing, eh?". You might need to know that around here (chilterns) there are loads of Red Kites, in the local area there's at least forty of these magnificent birds, with their distinctive flying/gliding pattern, clearly forked tails and two meter wing span...

I feel so sorry for his kid :(

Guest hyperion

Yep, the general license same as the rest of the birds on the vermin list.

cheers

hyperion

They're b*****ds Pete. :yes::angry:

They used to swoop down into the garden a take sarnies off my kids when they were small. The bloody tourists don't help, they feed the feckers and they become bold as brass.

I walked past a woman and her kid a few years back, and they were sat on a bench feeding chips to a flock of them. As I walked past I heard this daft bint say to her son, "Give the ducks a chip!" :blink:

Stupid f**kers! :laugh:

some days it was like a scene out hitchcocks the birds down gorran mal!, walking up the road in the morning there would be hundreds of them sitting on every roof top and wall!

I worked for a while on a landfill site doing bird control work and i would not attempt shooting gulls with an air rifle as i have hit them with a shotgun and not dropped them. The pellets seem to just bounce off. They are solid birds and unless you can get close enough to ensure a head shot i would nt bother. If you hit 1 and wound you it you will have to find it then get a beating from it whild you catch it to dispatch. Shooting them off the roof of your house is against the law as the pellet is leaving the bouderies of your property.

One thing I'd mention with regard to shooting Seagulls (of sorts).

The general license isn't as open with Gulls as it is with some other birds. You cannot shoot the bird just because it is a pest, it needs to either be for the prevention of damage or disease, to protect public health and safety and to conserve wild birds.

The complication comes when you begin to shoot them for Public Health and Safety and the Prevention of disease. This justification is normally the preserve of professional pest controllers who have a recognised qualification that will allow them to judge whether they can be shot or not.

This is not just theory, a gent was prosecuted for shooting a gull with his air rifle in the West Country as it was "just a pest"

;)

cheers

hyperion

I remember being on Customs House Quay in Falmouth one day, I had just gotten a Cod 'n' chips and a Pukka Steak 'n' Kidney Pie for my dinner :D I looked right and down at a seal in the water, felt the flap of a wing on my face, looked back at my grub and saw my pie (still in its foil) disapear into the air :o in this big feck off Gulls beak :angry: Gready black headed b@stard!

Got my own back though, :D Twatted one with a 3 ounce lead the following day with a perfectly timed cast of my rod :angel: boy did it make a splash :clapper:

Phantom

Guest hyperion
One thing I'd mention with regard to shooting Seagulls (of sorts).

The general license isn't as open with Gulls as it is with some other birds. You cannot shoot the bird just because it is a pest, it needs to either be for the prevention of damage or disease, to protect public health and safety and to conserve wild birds.

The complication comes when you begin to shoot them for Public Health and Safety and the Prevention of disease. This justification is normally the preserve of professional pest controllers who have a recognised qualification that will allow them to judge whether they can be shot or not.

This is not just theory, a gent was prosecuted for shooting a gull with his air rifle in the West Country as it was "just a pest"

;)

i remember that SS! can remember wanting to throw a brick at the telly when i saw it on the news!