Linebreeding/Inbreeding

Guest joe ox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....... I travelled a few miles at the weekend for a second attempt at putting a decent dog over her but once again it didnt happen for various reasons

So this could be plan B

Good luck with it IMO its worth the risk if there is no other way to go.

I personally wouldnt do it,its to close for me and i like line breeding in my lurchers if i was going to have a litter i would use auntie,uncle or cousin ive always been lucky to get the dog or bitch needed as there available through family and friends i always find its works better because your close enough but far enough away if for some reason i couldnt do this then i would use a pure greyhound or whippet then cross back in to my own suff

i have bred father to daughter and the pups are very small in comparison to the parents(this is a trait of in breeding) also the pup i kept is the runt of the litter she is a bull greyhound shes 16 month and 21.5 tts ,

im very honest about her shes very very slow at picking things up shes constantly making mistakes but slowly very slowly learning,shes not extremly fast and hasnt shown signs of much prey drive natural hunting ability ,

I honestly think she is slightly retarded (another trait that is from inbreeding ) but i strongly belive she will come good but it will take longer than normal .the rest of the litter have been storming along its just mine thats like this ,i can trace her linage i know whats in her make up (which im more than happy with) shes a melting pot of the genes i want in my line ,i chose the very small one as i like the smaller type of bullx ,I wont breed of her until she is proved and i need a pup which isnt very soon .and i have various cousins half brothers that are avalible when needed .

perhaps i shouldnt have gone that close fatherxdaughter but ill tell you why i did it and some wont agree ..it was to save time as i thought my old dog has not got long left. its a gamble and she might not make the grade but some dogs dont ,and some that do dont produce good dogs .its all a gamble and all your doing is trying to hedge your bets whith in///line breeding .

I was talking about this the other day, with a mate at the Midland.

I was saying that if my current pup doesn't make the grade i would consider having one more litter from my bitch, and that i`de like to use a pup from her that's now around 4 years old and has seen a fair bit of "Varied work" and i`ve witnessed it work on many occasions and it`s done Very Well, the dog in question is 1/2 whippet 1/4 grey 1/4 bull.

But as others have said, i worry about the health of any prospective pups..

And i tend to agree with others that their are other working dogs out their that could and should be used...

But !!!!! here`s the down side i own a "Good" Bull X bitch and i`ve tried very hard to find a suitable stud and have been successful on a couple of occasions, but you try finding a suitable stud for a good bitch,

I`ve spotted dogs at shows and stuff got talking to the people about possibly using their dog for stud..

And they`ve seemed very keen telling me all about their dogs achievements and how many of this and that that their wonder dog has caught, i`ve offered to show my bitch at work, then obviously i`ve said that i would like to see their dog doing a bit before the deed was done "so to speak"!!!!!

Only to never hear from them again, !!!!!!

So sometimes your only option is to go with what you know amongst your tight mates, and that tends to mean you have dogs that are related to one another,

You`d think that this Internet would help, but in all the years i`ve been coming on these forums i`ve only known two people that were prepared to show that their dog does what it says on the tin...

My two penneth Mars..

I was saying that if my current pup doesn't make the grade i would consider having one more litter from my bitch, and that i`de like to use a pup from her that's now around 4 years old and has seen a fair bit of "Varied work" and i`ve witnessed it work on many occasions and it`s done Very Well, the dog in question is 1/2 whippet 1/4 grey 1/4 bull.

And i tend to agree with others that their are other working dogs out their that could and should be used...

But !!!!! here`s the down side i own a "Good" Bull X bitch and i`ve tried very hard to find a suitable stud and have been successful on a couple of occasions, but you try finding a suitable stud for a good bitch,

I`ve spotted dogs at shows and stuff got talking to the people about possibly using their dog for stud..

And they`ve seemed very keen telling me all about their dogs achievements and how many of this and that that their wonder dog has caught, i`ve offered to show my bitch at work, then obviously i`ve said that i would like to see their dog doing a bit before the deed was done "so to speak"!!!!!

So sometimes your only option is to go with what you know amongst your tight mates, and that tends to mean you have dogs that are related to one another,

You`d think that this Internet would help, but in all the years i`ve been coming on these forums i`ve only known two people that were prepared to show that their dog does what it says on the tin...

My two penneth Mars..

If you were to breed Mars, would you go back to a wheaten/grey or bull/grey or opt for the mother x son mating.I'd personally put a saluki/grey over her, only for the fact i like the stamp of pup they throw. Atb Sniper

Edited by sniper

My two penneth Mars..

If you were to breed Mars, would you go back to a wheaten/grey or bull/grey or opt for the mother x son mating.I'd personally put a saluki/grey over her, only for the fact i like the stamp of pup they throw. Atb Sniper

If i were to breed from her again, i`ve got a bull x in mind, a dog that i know is a very good single handed dog,

and has a very good laid back attitude when not working, which i.m.o. is almost as important as working ability, as we all want a dog that we can live with, "Dont We" ????

Mars...

If i were to breed from her again, i`ve got a bull x in mind, a dog that i know is a very good single handed dog,

and has a very good laid back attitude when not working, which i.m.o. is almost as important as working ability, as we all want a dog that we can live with, "Dont We" ????

Mars...

Yes :yes: spot on Mars, temperment is alot imo, goes along way, keep us posted should you do this. ;) Atb Sniper

You can inbreed as tight as you want until it blows up in your face, then just back up a step and start over again. I have made all of these tight cross with mixed results just like on an outcross litter. Most people on this internet are just tryin to blow smoke up your ass and talk bullshit theories they have that they got from some other jack ass on the internet. Do your own experimenting and breeding and see for yourself. If the cross dont work dont blame the relationship, blame the f****n dogs. They are the ones that need the blame not what particular cross it was. Good producing dogs will produce good dogs if they were f****n themselves.

You can inbreed as tight as you want until it blows up in your face, then just back up a step and start over again. I have made all of these tight cross with mixed results just like on an outcross litter. Most people on this internet are just tryin to blow smoke up your ass and talk bullshit theories they have that they got from some other jack ass on the internet. Do your own experimenting and breeding and see for yourself. If the cross dont work dont blame the relationship, blame the f****n dogs. They are the ones that need the blame not what particular cross it was. Good producing dogs will produce good dogs if they were f****n themselves.

I wouldn't have put it the same way but i'll second all of that. :thumbs:

The saying is, line breeding is when it goes right, inbreeding is when it goes wrong!

Some of the best lines of working dogs come off the tightest of breeding and i'd rather take that gamble than be using a dog that is not quite up to standard.

If their aint nothing bad in the parents then nothing bad should come out in the pups!

I'd put money down that with the various crosses that make up a Lurcher putting close dogs together would be by the slightest chance detrimental to the pups, though the chances of it happening with each successive line would greaten but only marginally. ;)

It's not the mother/son or sister/brother matings that are faulty,but the genes which are hidden that we should be aware of,as inbreeding will exxagerate the worst and the best of each parent.If there are no known faults within a line then one could safely inbreed,i think a good rule is not to inbreed regualrly but only to fix a certain characteristic or trait,then go back to line breeding,most people have focused on the outward appearance rather than paying attention to what genes are unseen and combined.A fault in either parent will be doubled up more so in inbreeding,on the other hand if there are no faults then the best of each parent will be fixed,the number of anomalies caused by inbreeding just proves that breeders have not monitored the line long enough to be able to safely say there are no faulty reccessive genes in either of the parents to be mated.You could still breed from a parent with a reccessive faulty gene as long as it's mating partner did not carry the same gene,but this is where it gets complicated and most people go back to line breeding.

It's not the mother/son or sister/brother matings that are faulty,but the genes which are hidden that we should be aware of,as inbreeding will exxagerate the worst and the best of each parent.If there are no known faults within a line then one could safely inbreed,i think a good rule is not to inbreed regualrly but only to fix a certain characteristic or trait,then go back to line breeding,most people have focused on the outward appearance rather than paying attention to what genes are unseen and combined.A fault in either parent will be doubled up more so in inbreeding,on the other hand if there are no faults then the best of each parent will be fixed,the number of anomalies caused by inbreeding just proves that breeders have not monitored the line long enough to be able to safely say there are no faulty reccessive genes in either of the parents to be mated.You could still breed from a parent with a reccessive faulty gene as long as it's mating partner did not carry the same gene,but this is where it gets complicated and most people go back to line breeding.

inbreeding WILL exagerate the worst and best of each parent? not always, CAN exagerate the worst OR best of each parent :thumbs: a litter could throw cracking pups getting what you want, then these same pups could throw the worst nightmare of a litter

How would you know if either parent had a reccessive faulty gene? or its partner did nt?

Y.I.S Leeview

you guys over there in the USA are well known for being in to "line breeding" :whistling: