MIDDLANDS GAME FAIR

People have to help themselves by stepping up security at home, also stop advertising pups or adult dogs on forums & giving out there phone numbers

Just as an example joe gets a call from an online advert, he arranges to meet some fella at the nearest service station, while he meets the fella , his homes being robbed & any or all dogs are stolen by the fellas mates , just one classic example of how dog thefts occur

help yourselves by not adverising pups & quite openly plastering telephone numbers all over the place

The reason I joined THL intially was because of the feral Saluki x that i trapped, stuck around because I realised theres a big gap with the help you guys get when a working dog goes missing.

In certains areas the police work with Doglost in a big way, so do the traveller liason officers and other officials bodies. The police involvement is been encouraged throughout the country.

But one thing I have noticed a lot is that dogs & bitches normally not neutered- nothing better for theives than to nick a dog they can breed from. Rarely are they microchipped so even the ones we do find in totally the wrong part of the country we cant find owners, in the last few months of been on site weekly I am finding working dogs in pounds, I put notifications up yet only once have I known a member go claim there dog back. So who do all these other dogs in the pound belong to?? they are working dogs. Got a black patt in at the minute- most defo been working & not on rabbits in Notts area. No one missing him & owner would know its his from the healed facial injuries.

Emeera- you are right, & sorry to hijack your thread a bit. No one has a right to take anyones dog, its on the increase but if we can work more together it cuts it back. Make local people aware they are your dogs. Take regular photos & keep note of marking or scars. Seems basic but a lot of dogs get dumped- microchip or tattoo or both. The more id the less its wanted.

If theres anything Doglost can do to help LET ME KNOW- DOE & I are around most days. If you want a template done to fill in for a dog going missing- great I 'll do one. If a dog in a pound is yours let me know- if I can out it I will do - will try to do it without the charges that councils make.

my dog got stolen last December i had locked pen and a guard dog and they still took it

doglost were fantastic and advertised it in the countrymans but no one came forward

i now have 2 specially trained german sheppards guarding cctv alarms and other things BUT

lurchers and terriers are a lucrative business and a big money business to some and nothing will deter scum if they want your dogs that badly

i would give anything to get that dog back and if i can help any way emeera i will

if your dog is stolen how can you proov its your dog it cud be you agenst sumone els. thay cud sell a dog then go to the POPO and say youv nicked it and if you just got a 2 year old dog and youv no picks to proov the dogs yours and thay have what then if i cud get my new pup D,N,A tested and put on a database i wood thats only way i can think of to 100 percent prooving who a dog belongs to

if your dog is stolen how can you proov its your dog it cud be you agenst sumone els. thay cud sell a dog then go to the POPO and say youv nicked it and if you just got a 2 year old dog and youv no picks to proov the dogs yours and thay have what then if i cud get my new pup D,N,A tested and put on a database i wood thats only way i can think of to 100 percent prooving who a dog belongs to

Sorry for thread hijacking but I volunteer with a lurcher rescue; we often get dogs coming to us from pounds and dog wardens - the good ones, anyway. Many pounds still destroy dogs within a certain time (it varies according to area) if they aren't claimed. Dogs that are stolen can be miles away within a very short time, tried and dumped, or sold on to who knows where. You should see the state some of them end up in; and the ones we get are the lucky ones. One dog dies every hour in this country (this refers to all breeds) because it's a "stray" - and those are the recorded "put to sleep" deaths; I dread to think what happens to the rest.

Photos in themselves won't prove ownership, but they will certainly help. Take the best, clearest photos you can of your dog(s) - profile standing, both sides, head shots too - to make sure you catch any identifying markings or scars. Blurry shots taken with a flash in a dark field of the sort you take when recording a good night won't cut it. Keep the identifying photos organised somewhere, and update them over time. If the worst happens, they'll be more useful than a description alone.

Microchip and/or have the dogs tattooed; if you're not sure you're going to keep them, the new owner can transfer the details for about a fiver. Register the dogs with a vet and have the vet record the chip and/or tattoo numbers on your file.

Make sure your dogs wear a collar and tag at all times; it's the law anyway - don't put the dog's name on it, but your surname, house number and postcode and a phone number which works. Add the word "microchipped", "tattooed" or "scan me". If you look on DogLost the number of dogs both lost and found where it says "Collar = false, Tag = false, Microchipped = false" tells the story, really.

Don't ever leave dogs unattended in a car or van; you might think people won't know what's in the vehicle, but you don't know who's been watching you; you might feel "safe" around other dog people at a show, trial or race meeting, but it's not always the case.

Don't exercise your dogs in exactly the same place, at exactly the same time, every day. Don't let younger children exercise the dogs unattended (yep, people will take dogs from children, sadly).

Don't leave them unattended in an insecure garden and make sure your dogs can't leave your premises of their own accord.

Don't enter into too much discussion with strangers at shows or if approached whilst exercising in the street or elsewhere; if the strangers seem a bit too interested or offer money for the dog, invent a plated leg, epilepsy, or some such medical problem ; if it's a bitch they're interested in, say it's neutered even if it's not. If you are approached in this way, don't take a direct route home, and keep your eyes open.

It is a fact that neutered dogs are less likely to be stolen; if you are undecided about breeding, and you value your existing dog's talents more than anything he or she might or might not produce in the future, it's a wise choice, although I know it's not popular. Otherwise, take even more care, particularly if your dogs are from a famous line, of a currently fashionable cross, or become known for some other reason.

It saddens me to write this but it's the way of the world today. We all think it won't happen to us, but working dogs are being stolen more and more. Locally, a highly trained retired explosives-detecting cocker "went missing" within five minutes of being let off-lead; he was not the type to forget his recall but has not been seen since.

Sorry to go on but it's something I find very scary and feel very strongly about!

The reason I joined THL intially was because of the feral Saluki x that i trapped, stuck around because I realised theres a big gap with the help you guys get when a working dog goes missing.

In certains areas the police work with Doglost in a big way, so do the traveller liason officers and other officials bodies. The police involvement is been encouraged throughout the country.

But one thing I have noticed a lot is that dogs & bitches normally not neutered- nothing better for theives than to nick a dog they can breed from. Rarely are they microchipped so even the ones we do find in totally the wrong part of the country we cant find owners, in the last few months of been on site weekly I am finding working dogs in pounds, I put notifications up yet only once have I known a member go claim there dog back. So who do all these other dogs in the pound belong to?? they are working dogs. Got a black patt in at the minute- most defo been working & not on rabbits in Notts area. No one missing him & owner would know its his from the healed facial injuries.

Emeera- you are right, & sorry to hijack your thread a bit. No one has a right to take anyones dog, its on the increase but if we can work more together it cuts it back. Make local people aware they are your dogs. Take regular photos & keep note of marking or scars. Seems basic but a lot of dogs get dumped- microchip or tattoo or both. The more id the less its wanted.

If theres anything Doglost can do to help LET ME KNOW- DOE & I are around most days. If you want a template done to fill in for a dog going missing- great I 'll do one. If a dog in a pound is yours let me know- if I can out it I will do - will try to do it without the charges that councils make.

hey thanks alot :thumbs: i did actually pm doe last night , she was the only person i could find lol

you are very right thou, iv not had a dog stolen myself but i nearly did on friday they were after my saluki pup the whole experience knocked me sick , then last night got a call from my aunt who works gundogs about the spaniel and her 2 pups .

just then , it occured to me that how upset i felt was nothing compared to those people or anyone who's dog has been stolen ,

and that even though nothing can be done , i must do something ,

iv got 7 contacts now for papers 1 4 a new rooms ,

the more people are aware the better more people hopefully will be on there guard ,

so iv started making some idea's for it so far iv got

aim ------ to create awareness

-------to help prevent dog theft

------- to give support to those you have had there dog stolen

and those worried about having there dogs stolen

what can you do ?---- mirco chip you dog

----- have your dog neutered/spayed if you have no intention of breeding

yourself ,this way your dog could never be used as a breeding project

At home -----dont leave your front door unlocked

-----make sure your dogs are safe and secure at night

when out with your dog-----dont tell anyone where you live

---- beware of suspects following you home

if its to late and there taking your dog or its about to happen

--scream and run after them ''theyv stolen my dog'' make everyone you can aware

-- if your on to anyone, get to safty and record yourself on your phone or write it down what they look like in detail while its fresh in your mind .

--take photo of them if possible

im will be writing this up into a better formed piece of work , just putting everything together first

if anyone wants to add anything there you can , or if you feel that iv writen something i shouldnt of also let me know

im after information such as

how many dogs have gone in last few months?

on average how any go missing a week ?

also i will want owners story's at the end , of people you have had there dog stolen ,

also would like to find someone who's had there dog stolen and got it back - to give people who havnt hope

when i write to itv news or ring them i will write a small paragraph about

how many dogs have gone in last few months?

on average how any go missing a week ?

basically just an awareness note , but i will ask that a few missing dogs are shown , so if you pm me pics of your missing dogs if you want to be one of them , also anything that is noticable on your dog , a certain pattern ,or scar will help

am working to be sending all this off for the end of the week or early next week , just as soon as possible

Sorry for thread hijacking but I volunteer with a lurcher rescue; we often get dogs coming to us from pounds and dog wardens - the good ones, anyway. Many pounds still destroy dogs within a certain time (it varies according to area) if they aren't claimed. Dogs that are stolen can be miles away within a very short time, tried and dumped, or sold on to who knows where. You should see the state some of them end up in; and the ones we get are the lucky ones. One dog dies every hour in this country (this refers to all breeds) because it's a "stray" - and those are the recorded "put to sleep" deaths; I dread to think what happens to the rest.

Photos in themselves won't prove ownership, but they will certainly help. Take the best, clearest photos you can of your dog(s) - profile standing, both sides, head shots too - to make sure you catch any identifying markings or scars. Blurry shots taken with a flash in a dark field of the sort you take when recording a good night won't cut it. Keep the identifying photos organised somewhere, and update them over time. If the worst happens, they'll be more useful than a description alone.

Microchip and/or have the dogs tattooed; if you're not sure you're going to keep them, the new owner can transfer the details for about a fiver. Register the dogs with a vet and have the vet record the chip and/or tattoo numbers on your file.

Make sure your dogs wear a collar and tag at all times; it's the law anyway - don't put the dog's name on it, but your surname, house number and postcode and a phone number which works. Add the word "microchipped", "tattooed" or "scan me". If you look on DogLost the number of dogs both lost and found where it says "Collar = false, Tag = false, Microchipped = false" tells the story, really.

Don't ever leave dogs unattended in a car or van; you might think people won't know what's in the vehicle, but you don't know who's been watching you; you might feel "safe" around other dog people at a show, trial or race meeting, but it's not always the case.

Don't exercise your dogs in exactly the same place, at exactly the same time, every day. Don't let younger children exercise the dogs unattended (yep, people will take dogs from children, sadly).

Don't leave them unattended in an insecure garden and make sure your dogs can't leave your premises of their own accord.

Don't enter into too much discussion with strangers at shows or if approached whilst exercising in the street or elsewhere; if the strangers seem a bit too interested or offer money for the dog, invent a plated leg, epilepsy, or some such medical problem ; if it's a bitch they're interested in, say it's neutered even if it's not. If you are approached in this way, don't take a direct route home, and keep your eyes open.

It is a fact that neutered dogs are less likely to be stolen; if you are undecided about breeding, and you value your existing dog's talents more than anything he or she might or might not produce in the future, it's a wise choice, although I know it's not popular. Otherwise, take even more care, particularly if your dogs are from a famous line, of a currently fashionable cross, or become known for some other reason.

It saddens me to write this but it's the way of the world today. We all think it won't happen to us, but working dogs are being stolen more and more. Locally, a highly trained retired explosives-detecting cocker "went missing" within five minutes of being let off-lead; he was not the type to forget his recall but has not been seen since.

Sorry to go on but it's something I find very scary and feel very strongly about!

thankyou !!!! thats great , dont apologise :thumbs: loads of good info there that needs to be in public

I am sure EVERY HL member will help when it comes to dog theft .But hey lets not just assume its the traveling community please :notworthy:

Agreed. And as per another thread not the smack heads either!

Swampy

ninging in cordouroys