What % protein in your everyday dog feed?

Dried beef and a 12% mixer its a good second to barf though the price of the dried meat has shot up from £23 to £35 a 25 kilo sack recently.atb
Forgot to add the dried beef that comes in bulk from ireland i have been told is about 35% protien so not much is needed to be put with the mixer.atb

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lurchers&terriers

iv said this before, to much protein isn't good for a dog one bit. people seem to be obsessed by it. i wouldn't feed my dog this complete dry stuff neither its cheap because its crap. if you want your dog to reach full potential barf is the way but be careful of that protein, i wouldn't go above 22% if i was feeding it dry

rabbit and about 90%protein and they do well,even keep catching more to eat of the rabbit i feed em,

been thinking about this, have a chest freezer for the rabbits, was thinking of getting a mincer and mincing and freezing and then thawing as needed, and just keep a couple whole for the curries and stews ;)

just out of interest why do some of you use racing greyhound dried foods, these foods are designed for sprinting dogs that dont work the fields.

they contain high protien as racing dogs tear and damadge muscle and ligaments during the sprint and protien is needed to repair these. the food is normally also very dry as most trainers feed it too them soaked so a working lurcher will usually have to drink gallons of water if fed this food and worked hard.

you only need a maintainance level of protien for the working lurcher unless it is a young growing dog or one recovering from injury, the most important thing is fat, this is what a dog runs on and burns so surely a working spaniel food would be more suited as its desighned for dogs that spend alot of time running around fields rather than just a quick sprint.

does anyone else share this opinion.

( p.s my dogs are fed medium level protien kibble and lots of barf :thumbs: )

just out of interest why do some of you use racing greyhound dried foods, these foods are designed for sprinting dogs that dont work the fields.

they contain high protien as racing dogs tear and damadge muscle and ligaments during the sprint and protien is needed to repair these. the food is normally also very dry as most trainers feed it too them soaked so a working lurcher will usually have to drink gallons of water if fed this food and worked hard.

you only need a maintainance level of protien for the working lurcher unless it is a young growing dog or one recovering from injury, the most important thing is fat, this is what a dog runs on and burns so surely a working spaniel food would be more suited as its desighned for dogs that spend alot of time running around fields rather than just a quick sprint.

you have a good point to be honest, the food i use is 24% and very oily which is mixed in with mince meat form butcher with laods of fat.

That is a spot on asumption one i totally agree with.The dried beef i feed is very fatty and my spaniels and lurchers are out every day and never loose condition .atb dell

you have a good point to be honest, the food i use is 24% and very oily which is mixed in with mince meat form butcher with laods of fat.

spot on