My First Hawk...

gilly-93

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

Took Stella out for a couple of hours this afternoon, bit misty but very humid. Stella as usual wanted to chase anything that moved including a dog fox and a snipe didnt get a result but maybe next time :laugh: Since last Thursday Stella has been freelofted in her mews, i.e she is no longer teatherd in her living quarters, in the damp, colder conditions this can lead to wingtip odeama the closer to the floor she is. We decided to go look for a decent tree/branch to put in the mews for her to perch on, to get her higher up about 5ft. We eventually found a decent bit of birch tree, i went over a fence to get it as dad stood back with Stella. Next minute i heard a loud "Go'on Stell" and a woosh over my head, dad said i must have been a good bushing dog in a previous life :laugh:

Heres the end result... ;)

PICT0084.jpg

Stella flew over low, posing for the shot! :D

PICT0088.jpg

Come backk!!! :sick:

PICT0089.jpg

PICT0095.jpg

PICT0105.jpg

Stella checking her Facebook!

PICT0020.jpg

Early start in the morning for Bawtry :)

• Like 2

Thanks for your replys, my dad gives me a lot of support he's bin involved with shooting/fieldsports from an early age, bin there through the highs and lows from hungerford, lost his slr's, dunblaine, his handguns... but says nothing compared to a human life... then with his running dogs on the fens and the waterloo cup etc.. i dont remember... just keeps' saying them were the days' but when he's had a few pints you can't shut him up :D then he gets his pictures out when he was stalking in scotland (10 years) it goes on forever. forgot to put this up stellas first pheasant at the weekend.. thanks dad.........

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

• Like 1
R.i.P Stella

Its been a great read mate! I was then going to stick a post up after reading through and seeing the pic's saying be careful flying that bird near them electrical transformers and wires :icon_eek:, please tell me it didn't get electricuted?

either way I'm sorry to here about your loss :cry:....

Jasper

R.i.P Stella

Its been a great read mate! I was then going to stick a post up after reading through and seeing the pic's saying be careful flying that bird near them electrical transformers and wires :icon_eek:, please tell me it didn't get electricuted?

either way I'm sorry to here about your loss :cry:....

Jasper

This is the first time I have read this thread, and as soon as I seen the bird on the wires I thought back to a very good Redtail that was lost to them. It is always sad to loose a bird especially one that was doing so well.

One thought though is, the seeds have been sown in your mind and they will grow, your next bird will be even better. I feel your loss, but sadly it happens.

TC

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawks as we have enjoyed it so much, things happen which you have no control over.So what do we do now ? go through the whole training thing again or get a "second hand bird" with a used bird as great as it may sound in the advert you still dont really know what you are getting, any underlying problems ie; is it vocal,does it hate certain things etc.. So we are going down the training a new bird route again, were going up newcastle in the morning to pick a 20 week old female up who's still in the aivery with the parents.We learnt so much with stella , but also made mistakes along the way so we will see how we do this time...this thread won't be closed but will continue. yours in sport liam and dad. :thankyou:

• Like 4
Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawks as we have enjoyed it so much, things happen which you have no control over.So what do we do now ? go through the whole training thing again or get a "second hand bird" with a used bird as great as it may sound in the advert you still dont really know what you are getting, any underlying problems ie; is it vocal,does it hate certain things etc.. So we are going down the training a new bird route again, were going up newcastle in the morning to pick a 20 week old female up who's still in the aivery with the parents.We learnt so much with stella , but also made mistakes along the way so we will see how we do this time...this thread won't be closed but will continue. yours in sport liam and dad. :thankyou:

Really glad to hear it Liam.This bird will be just as good if not better with you and your dad. Good luck mate,not that you'll need it. I know exactly how you feel,my spar missy was killed a couple of weeks ago and I was ready to jack it all in. Glad I didnt now.