My First Hawk...

gilly-93

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

Bit of an update, bin out with her walking all over the place getting her use to traffic, trains anything that moves really.The wind has dropped a bit over the last couple of days so we've had her on the creance she 's coming about 40 feet at the moment, still bin nosey and not putting 100% into it but doing very well shes at 2.3 dropping her a bit more im sure she will respond better still. Shes a very placid bird with an excellent temprement,stella loves to come in the house watch telly then stand on one leg and go to sleep. lol. not going to feed her today then fly her tomorrow.

DSC00224.jpg

Edited by gilly-93

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work with. I think the art of falconry holds a great future for you mate, I hope you have a long and succesfull time with it. I think that falconers and or Austringers need more committed young uns like you to start with the sport,and less of the overnight wonders, that last about that long, you are the future of it mate. I wish you all the very best. It's a pleasure to see someone going about it properly and thoroughly as you have done.

Cheers

B :thumbs:

• Like 4
Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work with. I think the art of falconry holds a great future for you mate, I hope you have a long and succesfull time with it. I think that falconers and or Austringers need more committed young uns like you to start with the sport,and less of the overnight wonders, that last about that long, you are the future of it mate. I wish you all the very best. It's a pleasure to see someone going about it properly and thoroughly as you have done.

Cheers

B :thumbs:

Thanks mate, things seem to be moving along smoothly dont think were doing to much wrong as Stella learns we do. Took her out for 2 and half hours about 6ish, didnt feed or fly her so expecting a good responce tomorrow ;)

Edited by gilly-93

Weighed 2 Pounds 3/4 today flew well on the creonce but still needs dropping more to be instant think it will be about 2.2 or 2.1 not sure yet time will tell... anyway she flew really well about 10-12 flights and had two chicks in total heres a few pics :thumbs:

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

A little update, stellas bin flying to the glove really well, double length of the creaonce ,jump ups casting her into trees etc.... she had her first kill yesterday even if it was a mouse ! we were well made up lol. took her out today with the dummy bunny she went straight for it no problem, only thing is the wind over here at the moment its blowing a right gale but she did really well considering the conditions. going to get the telemetry next week its not cheap £600 from falconry electronics in halifax about twenty miles from us. So hopefully middle to end of next week she will be flying free, we've had her 17 days now and she's come on so much, dad spends hours with her she sits on his hand with no glove on and nibbles his ear lol. weight wise shes at 2.1 and very responsive, if this wind drops we'll be out tomorrow with the bunny again, anyway heres a few pictures atb liam.

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

;)

Stella is coming on really well now shes on the dummy bunny and nailing it everytime more or less. Shes been in trees, posts dads head :laugh: Her weight is around 2 Pound 1 and 3/8s still needs knocking down a tad more id say 2 pound 1 before shes instand evertime :D Going to get her free as soon as the telemetry comes :thumbs:

Stella the mouse slayer has claimed 3 victims today :laugh: there must be a few around she just sits on a post and jumps on them :laugh: She flew well today into trees, posts the usual stuff and followed on for the first time carnt wait for her to be free :D

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

Edited by gilly-93

Post office cocked up the delivery on telem didnt turn up. So took Stella out for her usual flying, training etc... Stella was on the creonce following on brilliant at about 50yards then land on a post and do it again, on the last one the line got snagged up on barbed wire and stopped her sharpish. Dad loves the hawk more than me so he went mental and uncliped creonce and took off the swivel and bobed a set of field jesses on and cast her off free with me shouting dont do it. She only went around 30 yard and sat at the top of a tree we had a good few flights on the dummy bunny and to the glove. Tomorrow she will be free again with a telem this time :whistling: She knew she was free and was maybe a little bit unsure along with us. She soon settled down and did her own stuff :D:thumbs:

[/b]

Stella been flying free for about 4 days now, doing brilliant and following on fab! Chased her first rabbit todau but it got to cover before she could get to it. But it all expirence. Going out again tomorrow to try and get her enterd :thumbs:

Stellas getting better everyday shes flying and responds superbly at 2.1 , her telemetry is the tinyloc r1 digital system its a superb bit of kit we've used it twice when she's got a bit giddy its took us straight to her, the last when two dogs spooked her and she dissapeared over the horizon into dense woodland found her no problem,hunting wise she's bin trying like hell but just missing but not today :clapper: well done stella.

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Weathers bin a bit crappy but still bin getting out everyday, stellas got her own little moods and gets a right face on if anything gets away from her.. she's had some really good chases on woodpigeons and is getting fitter everyday,with the dark nights here we're flying her in the dark for when we go lamping nothing seems to bother her ..good job she's got loud bells on so you can here her and get a rough idea where she is, but saying that if she's coming up fast to the glove all you here's a woosh as she lands.can't think what its like to get hit by a flat out harris hawk so we just keep the glove a little higher.. going down bawtry again on wednesday for an all dayer so will drop her weight a little for then, anyway heres a few pictures.

PICT0039-1.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

Babbing myself at this point, nobody wants fried harris! :laugh:

PICT0030.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

PICT0083.jpg