My First Hawk...

gilly-93

Hi all, summers over if we ever had one and rubys finished her first moult. To be honest times flown by since march and were getting ready for the new season,rubys been on a top quality diet through out...mainly quail,rat etc... at her top weight she was 2 1b.10oz she is now down to 2.4 and flying to the glove out in the fields but not instantly so a bit more to come off yet but were getting there about 2.2 i recon. There was no manning to be done as she's been handeled all the time and out of her mews everyday.At the weekend she's having her beak coped as its a little bit long,her new jesses, bells etc are on the way and the telemetry checked.

We've been after a jill fert for a while now so the other day we went to get one and ended up coming back with 3 as we could not leave them so we now have 5 with the 2 hobs.

So heres looking forward to a cracking season with ruby and the ferts,we will keep the thread updated as things progress.. yours in sport liam and dad.

PICT0545.jpg

Photo0077.jpg

Photo0082.jpg

Photo0070.jpg

PICT0584.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

Photo0063.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

What a cracking thread, :thumbs: . i dont normaly read a lot of the longer threads as i start getting board but this one did not bore me at all, i was a bit sick when i seen the bird had passed away but my hat comes of to you for digging in and bringing another bird on,falconry need's more people with your type of minerals,i look forward to reading more of your thread when the season kicks in.

One negative thing i have to say and it is 100% not in a bad way or intended to be but steer clear of the electric boxs mate like a good few folk have mentioned,because you have more chance of loosing your bird to them than anything else.

Edited by Lady rosselle

Thx for the replys, shes down at 2.3 ..not in a very good mood, just tried to eat 'molly' one of the baby ferts, but is looking mint and is responding fast...going back to stella she hit a fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit the impact dint kill her but she was done, dad put her down ..after 35 years of hunting he said it was the hardest thing hes ever done… says he would have shot me first if there had been a toss up. 10 months later, i know where he was coming from. liam

i browse this forum very little since i lost my lurcher bitch and very seldom post - felt i had to tonight just got to say how much ive enjoyed reading this thread.

Gutted to read about Stella and cant wait to hear more about Rubys progress this season.

Liam your a credit to your dad mate, wish my arl' fella was into the fieldsports.

Keep up the good work boys, best of luck

Ant :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Hi all, not updated for a while rubys flying nearly everyday, shes hunting at 2.5 and everything has been fine up untill 4 days ago.We were out doing our normal daily flying she had just missed a hare but to be honest it had a good start on her but she chased it the full length of a huge field so fair play.

After that she went to the top of her favourite tree to see what else was available,when i got to where she was no sight or sound of her a quick flick on of the telem took me to a tree about 100yd away where ruby was chasing a squirl around a tree like something posessed, i sat down to watch funny as owt it all ended with the squirl shooting down a rabbit hole followed closley by ruby.

Anyway,a quick whistle and up she came to the glove it was near dark so off home,the following morning i thought i heard what sounded like a cough i went outside everything looked fine, later on same again i dint fly that day so gave her a few chicks and went in. the following morning ruby was coughing quite a bit i went in to pick her up but she just kept backing away from me and chuntering.

over the next 12 hours the cough developed a bit but she looked her normal self, this morning cough cough... rang harcourt-brown the avian vet in harrogate and we were there for half one, nigel examined her but couldn't see anything wrong after half an hour he decided to put her under and do an x-ray... still nothing right im going to do an endoscopy or "camera down the throat jobby" after 5 mins a head pops around the door "found it gape worms on the back of her lung" anyway we've caught it at an early stage and she will be fine after her injections and antibiotics, we will send him a mute sample in a week to see if all's clear. yours in sport liam and dad :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, rubys well into her moult but it seems ages since she flew last.... shes just eaten her 30th quail today since we put her down for the summer, shes well happy and we're well bored!!!!!!!!!! atb liam.

• 2 months later...

LOL ....... THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THAT THREAD YOUNG LIAM..... SUPER WEE BIT OF WRITING AND INFO AND PICS....... SO REMINDS ME OF WHEN I WAS 15 ONLY I WAS MAD INTO THE TERRIERS AND STILL AM..... BUT HAVE KEPT 1 HAWK ..... NOT MUCH GOOD AS YOU SAY WHEN YOU BUY A SECOND HAND BIRD MUST OF THE TIME YOUR BUYING OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES..... BUT ME DEFO GOING TO BUY MYSELF A FEMALE HARRIS AND MAN HER MYSELF THIS TIME AND IF I NEED ANY INFO IM PM YOU LOL ..... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADS ATB STOP.END :yes: :yes:

Thanks for your reply mate, it's been a bit chaotic over the past 8 weeks we had to move house along with all sorts of other stuff, then we got overun with foxes trying to get ruby but dad sorted that with his 'rifle'..... we had to build new living quarters for her etc.... speaking of ruby , she's almost finished her moult about 2 weeks to go and is feather perfect even after all the grief, foxes etc.... her highest weight being just shy of 3Ib, just started to bring her down today which has proper annoyed her so shes venting her anger on a rolled up tea towell , she needs a manacure and new furniture and were away... will put some pics up shortley.. regards liam&dad.