My First Hawk...

gilly-93

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks ago got it all finished its around 17ft x 12ft and takes up most of the garden. Decided i wanted a female, finaly went to see one at a breeders in West Yorkshire left a £50 deposit and picked her up today. Fetched her home, cast her and fitted all the equipment, anklets, jesses ETC. Then weighed her and she weighed 2 Pound 6oz 1/4 at 22 weeks old. Shes a big un :angel:

Let her go, tryed to sit her on the glove but wasnt having any of it. Bating, screaming and hanging upside down like a monkey it was mayhem :blink:

Spent the next 5 hours just getting to know each other and used to her new surroundings. By 6pm she was a totaly different bird, sitting steady on the glove looking around and letting us touch her feet after after about 4 hours of manning :clapper:

Heres some pictures from the mews, at the breeders and at home now. ;)

Mews:

DSC05148.jpg

DSC05159.jpg

DSC05209.jpg

Breeders: (Shes the biggest one :D)

DSC05188.jpg

DSC05195.jpg

DSC05197.jpg

Home:

DSC05225.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05221.jpg

Sorry about picture quality going to get a decent camera :D

Not thought of a name yet, any suggestions?

ATB.

Edited by gilly-93
  • Like 2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks ago got it all finished its around 17ft x 12ft and takes up most of the garden. Decided i wanted a female, finaly went to see one at a breeders in West Yorkshire left a £50 deposit and picked her up today. Fetched her home, cast her and fitted all the equipment, anklets, jesses ETC. Then weighed her and she weighed 2 Pound 6oz 1/4 at 22 weeks old. Shes a big un :angel:

Let her go, tryed to sit her on the glove but wasnt having any of it. Bating, screaming and hanging upside down like a monkey it was mayhem :blink:

Spent the next 5 hours just getting to know each other and used to her new surroundings. By 6pm she was a totaly different bird, sitting steady on the glove looking around and letting us touch her feet after after about 4 hours of manning :clapper:

Heres some pictures from the mews, at the breeders and at home now. ;)

Mews:

Breeders: (Shes the biggest one :D)

films with the name of a footballerin the title

Home:

Sorry about picture quality going to get a decent camera :D

Not thought of a name yet, any suggestions?

ATB.

Nice looking bird mate handy sized set of feet.Do you have a mentor?

Good luck with her Some times the name comes later as the bird develops its own characteristic.

regards Tom.

• Like 2

She looks good mate, and i like the set up, look forward to reading about her progress, as for a name, i opened the front door this morning at 6am and suddenly realsied how cold it had become recently, so my thoughts are "Summer" lol best of luck.

Foxy

Nice looking bird mate handy sized set of feet.Do you have a mentor?

Good luck with her Some times the name comes later as the bird develops its own characteristic.

regards Tom.

Cheers mate, yes i have a mentor. ;)

Good luck with her.Are you in any of the yorkshire clubs??? atb dell

No not in any clubs, might look into joining one soon :);)

She looks good mate, and i like the set up, look forward to reading about her progress, as for a name, i opened the front door this morning at 6am and suddenly realsied how cold it had become recently, so my thoughts are "Summer" lol best of luck.

Foxy

Thanks and thanks for the name sugestion :D Dad likes Autumn but im not sure :angel:;)

Edited by gilly-93

Little update, Dad went in this morning when i was getting ready for school. Went to pick her up and bated away which she will stop doing when she gets used to us abit more. Weighed her she weighed in at 2 Pound 4 oz ¾. He sat with her for about 2 hours on a chair and manned her abit more. He offerd her a chick after around 10 minutes she was away ate one in the shed, one in the house and one in the garden. Got home from school and he told me she ate so im well chuffed :D Got changed and straight into the mews got her on the glove she was looking at it wanting food so sliped a chick up through the glove and tore some skin of the neck and she ate it basicly straight away :) manned her and put her on the perch. Heres a few pics. Well chuffed ate of the fist on the second day :thumbs:

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05241.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05247.jpg

DSC05248.jpg

DSC05249.jpg

ATB

Update, Dad went in this morning with a chick in the hand to try and stop her bating away from us when we go in on the morning. No luck though she still bated away. Got her out and weighed her today she weighed 2 Pound 4 oz 5/8 so basicly same as yesterday. We also found the pellet she had cast :) Dad sat down with her for 10 mins whilst i was at school. He started work with her trying to get her to step up onto the glove for a little reward by the end of the day she was doing it perfectly, i was amazed how quick they learn :blink: Decided to take her into the field for a walk and show hes some horses ETC took her in and she behaved very well to say it was all new to her only bated a few times which was expected :) Anyway heres a few pics of today ;)

DSC00221.jpg

DSC05250.jpg

DSC05251.jpg

DSC05252.jpg

DSC05254.jpg

DSC05255.jpg

DSC05256.jpg

DSC05263.jpg

DSC05261.jpg

DSC05257.jpg

She dont like close ups :laugh:

DSC05260.jpg

ATB P.S Think we decided her name is Stella :D

Edited by gilly-93
  • Like 1

A little update, took her into the field for a hour again, showed her some horses but she was bating on the glove abit when walking couldnt seem to balance. Then we saw a lurcher she didnt like it at all lol screaming at it :laugh: Got her home and offerd her a chick she had a couple of mouth fulls then moved the glove back for a jump. She stepped onto it the first couple of times then moved it back abit more so she had to jump. After about 5 mins of wagling and tapping of the glove she jumped for the first time :cheers: Then let her have a mouth full put her back on and repeated it again and again untill she had eaten two :yes: Well chuffed with her progress to say she was a wild bird 3 days aga :laugh: Sorry no pics today :thumbs:

Update, much better today went for a long walk this morning behaved really well with the traffic and had her photo took by loads of people :laugh: Got her home weighed her she weighed at 2 Pound 4 oz 7/8ths. Going to start dropping her today so she is more responcive she still jumped a few times though but not keen enough yet. Then had her in the field with the ferrets and didnt even bate at them just looking curious lol, No pics again today maybe tomorrow :thumbs:

Nothing really to update over the past few days just doing jumps etc. Got he weight down to 2 Pounds 3 oz. Was happy with her responce. Took her into field after i got home from school tryed her on creonce wasnt having any of it was abit windy though and new surroundings ETC... So took her home and i went to mums. Dad took her into field around 6ish and she flew on the creonce first time :clapper: Did a jump then increased it by 5 foot a time aprox and flew around 20 yards :tongue2: Well chuffed. She had two chicks in total so good day :big_boss: Well done Stella :D