100 bunnies singled handed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to that thread a short while ago about doing 100 bunnies on the beam single handed,did anyone read chippers column in the september edition of EDRD.His views and thoughts. atb andri
iv a bitch and she is a topper on rabits most iv ever got with her is 37 in a good night and thats back to hand them 100 you cot must have a bad does of mixey :clapper::clapper::clapper:
just work out the fastest time every rabbit could be caught ,then add the retrieve time of each rabbit ,then include time for the dog to recover after each run ,and see how long it would take to catch 100 rabbits ,and how long the dog would have to run for .then see if it is possible , :no:

Picture the scene; Dark December'96 night wind howling in their faces, forestry at their backs the rabbits feeding well out 2 lads set of lamping these pastures, they've known about this situation for a long time just waiting for the conditions to be in there favour, the colliex's were picking the rabbits up and retrieving them live to hand, many of them were squatting out in the field as there refuge was "blocked by these 2 lampers" with their backs to the forestry, the bitches were not flying out they just made there way down the side of the beam and onto these squatters from their squat some did run and were caught, the rabbits mounted up and were left to be collected later, they carried on in this mode for 5hours eventually running out of forestry or else they would of carried on, they'd walked 7miles along this forestry that night and caught 186 rabbits between them, they did nt match each other rabbit for rabbit and one did take over the ton.

The 2 lads were mid 20's back then keen as hell dedicated and focussed there dogs equally good at their job as you would expect from them

Their names Kevin Walker+Simon Dixon the land was/still is around Annan, there are members on here who can verify this as being accurate and the truth

Y.I.S Leeview

186 rabbits in 5 hrs=37.2 rabbits per hour-1.6 rabbits every 2 mins caught AND retrieved. this does not allow for missed runs-which obviously the 100 a night dog never misses a rabbit! Lets be more realistic and assume said dog catches 3 out of 4 runs-which despite some claims is an exceptional catch rate for any dog. the dogs will need to run 248 rabbits in 5 hrs. thats 49.6 runs an hour non stop for 5 hours. this = complete bollocks.

Maths don't lie. lampers are noted for it.

i dont think any dog will catch 100 rabbits in one night becouse the dog could not have a hundred runs and still be standing but thats my thoughts my dog could not do it thats for sure

i agree a dog or bitch of any breeding dont have that sort of statmina. ps if it was a track ghd how many times in one nite would ye run it, if you cared about the well being of the animal.atb Asha

just work out the fastest time every rabbit could be caught ,then add the retrieve time of each rabbit ,then include time for the dog to recover after each run ,and see how long it would take to catch 100 rabbits ,and how long the dog would have to run for .then see if it is possible , :no:

Picture the scene; Dark December'96 night wind howling in their faces, forestry at their backs the rabbits feeding well out 2 lads set of lamping these pastures, they've known about this situation for a long time just waiting for the conditions to be in there favour, the colliex's were picking the rabbits up and retrieving them live to hand, many of them were squatting out in the field as there refuge was "blocked by these 2 lampers" with their backs to the forestry, the bitches were not flying out they just made there way down the side of the beam and onto these squatters from their squat some did run and were caught, the rabbits mounted up and were left to be collected later, they carried on in this mode for 5hours eventually running out of forestry or else they would of carried on, they'd walked 7miles along this forestry that night and caught 186 rabbits between them, they did nt match each other rabbit for rabbit and one did take over the ton.

The 2 lads were mid 20's back then keen as hell dedicated and focussed there dogs equally good at their job as you would expect from them

Their names Kevin Walker+Simon Dixon the land was/still is around Annan, there are members on here who can verify this as being accurate and the truth

Y.I.S Leeview

186 rabbits in 5 hrs=37.2 rabbits per hour-1.6 rabbits every 2 mins caught AND retrieved. this does not allow for missed runs-which obviously the 100 a night dog never misses a rabbit! Lets be more realistic and assume said dog catches 3 out of 4 runs-which despite some claims is an exceptional catch rate for any dog. the dogs will need to run 248 rabbits in 5 hrs. thats 49.6 runs an hour non stop for 5 hours. this = complete bollocks.

Do the math properly then, there was 2 dogs, so thats 124 each, 25 runs each per hour, taking mostly squatters = completely possible and that on a 3 out 4 catch rate, never mind 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 6

regards smoggy

Y.I.S Leeview

Do the math properly then, there was 2 dogs, so thats 124 each, 25 runs each per hour, taking mostly squatters = completely possible and that on a 3 out 4 catch rate, never mind 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 6

regards smoggy

Beat me too it smoggy :clapper: the dogs did nt have to run them all, they were picking squatters due to the lads doing there homework first and planning for when the conditions would be right in their favour

Y.I.S Leeview

Leec,Tomo,Smoggy,Leeview and Myserbg seem to me atleast to be very knowledgable in the field and have done a bit the remaining majority on this topic imo are "calculator" hunters by the looks of things? Without question it's some feat no one can doubt that but like one or two have said GET OUT and see what can be done ;) ..i aven't got anywhere near a hundred rabbits with one dog lamping,i have took 60+ and no doubt about it the bitch i ran then wouldn't and never could of caught another 40 BUT because i ain't done it doesn't mean it cannot or has not been done? Whether you catch one or a hundred and one does it really matter? If YOU enjoy what your doing then surely thats all that matters? My tuppence worth on the matter would be it's been done and done several times,i've been around the scene a while and know of one or two genuine people who "according" to them have done the mythical ton :o ,i have here in my kennel a young hound that imo will go very close to catching a hundred bunnies in a night next season..will i give him that chance? We'll see? All the best PP.

as i have said before each to there own i would not dream of taking that many if i had the chance i like the land i go on to be well stocked atb happy hunting! ;)

I would have thoght that to get the 100 you would have to pick the runs on rabbit infested land so there wouldnt be much chance of wiping out your future sport. :hmm:

ive never been on land where it could be done and i certainly dont own a dog that could do it.

but maybe it could be done,however even if it was done it couldnt be proved,at least not to everyone.

i never said it either ,i was just pointing out that the dog would have to be on the go for 3or4 hours ,just trot a dog behind a car and see how long it will last .never mind how fit it was

The Stamina card has been brought up a few times in this topic :hmm: How long would a Lab or a spaniel be on the go for on a grouse moor beating? or a collie working on the dales or fells? The collie that could nt put in a full day EVERY day would nt be around that long.

Y.I.S Leeview

i never said it either ,i was just pointing out that the dog would have to be on the go for 3or4 hours ,just trot a dog behind a car and see how long it will last .never mind how fit it was

The Stamina card has been brought up a few times in this topic :hmm: How long would a Lab or a spaniel be on the go for on a grouse moor beating? or a collie working on the dales or fells? The collie that could nt put in a full day EVERY day would nt be around that long.

Y.I.S Leeview

lee,i work my dog loose ,and it is a hard thing for it to keep up the same pace for 3 or 4 hours ,they just cant do it .like i said ,if it could be done ,it would be done ,and not just on the odd occasion , it MIGHT have been done in the past ,or they could be just stories to sell the pups from such a dog ,who knows ,but one thing fore sure ,it has not hapend in a very long time ,and if 1 dog was capable then surly quite a few others would be this day and age ,after all things have improved a great deal .like some on here has said ,they can get 40 or 50 ,mabe 60 ,then their dogs have had enough .

Edited by UNFIT

Y.I.S Leeview

lee,i work my dog loose ,and it is a hard thing for it to keep up the same pace for 3 or 4 hours ,they just cant do it .like i said ,if it could be done ,it would be done ,and not just on the odd occasion , it MIGHT have been done in the past ,or they could be just stories to sell the pups from such a dog ,who knows ,but one thing fore sure ,it has not hapend in a very long time ,and if 1 dog was capable then surly quite a few others would be this day and age ,after all things have improved a great deal .like some on here has said ,they can get 40 or 50 ,mabe 60 ,then their dogs have had enough .

I did say that they walked down the beam into the wind not going flat out, that pace would be easier to maintain over a longer period

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

regards smoggy

read again-dogS plural. one caught over 100-still cant be done.