How do you like yours?

When you prepare your wabbits, how do you cook them?

My first shot bunny, I covered inside and out in a Cajun Spice mix and and then roasted it in the oven slowly. I had it with some oven roasted mushrooms and roast spuds, washed down with a traditional Cajun lager it was superb :D

I just finished my last wabbit today, again done in the oven, but this time in a Regae Regae Hot Spicey Caribbean Sauce.

I really spoilt the meat doing it like that and although it was just about palletable, it was not to my liking so a good deal of the meat went to waste :( and I really dont like the idea of good meat going to waste.

I have heard people talk about leaving them in salt water overnight, why is this?

Phantom

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it tenderises the meat

personally i like to quarter the rabbit , lightly brown in a frying pan, then roll in plain flour, add to a cassarole dish with carrots ,onions,mushrooms and leeks. then fill with water so it just covers the meat. cook on a low heat for about 4-5 hours stirring every 1hr or so.

an hour before the end add a couple of glasses of red wine and some cornflour to thicken the sauce( if it needs it)

serve with mash or roasties............or even rice

deliscious.........the meat just falls off the bone.

one of many ways,but probably my favouite.

cheers

sean

Rabbit fajitas, Rabbit jalfrezi , Rabbit in black bean sauce with egg noodles. Or good old rabbit stew or cawl as they call it around here. Love the stuff. :thumbs: atb john

I think i will be joining you for a meal sometime john.

never cooked rabbit before, i froze them ready for a BBQ that never happened and there still in the freezer. Rabbit tikka masala sounds good though.

how long are they ok to be frozen for before they go off? (they are gutted and skinned).

Richard

Cassarole for me too served with mash, or simmer in a pan of salty water until the meat starts to peels from the bone, then you can use the meat for a curry ect :)

The 1st rabbit I ever cooked I did in a pan of water (got one from a butchers many years ago)

Kitchen stunk, come to think of it the whole house ponged for the rest of the night.

Does the salt (I've heard it does) help with the whiff when boiling?

I do like the idea of a Fajithas and very hot bunny curry :D

Phantom

Edited by Phantom
Cassarole for me too served with mash, or simmer in a pan of salty water until the meat starts to peels from the bone, then you can use the meat for a curry ect :)

The 1st rabbit I ever cooked I did in a pan of water (got one from a butchers many years ago)

Kitchen stunk, come to think of it the whole house ponged for the rest of the night.

Does the salt (I've heard it does) help with the whiff when boiling?

I do like the idea of a Fajithas and very hot bunny curry :D

Phantom

It takes away some of the gameyness and helps them cook faster I'm told, its best if you soak them over night in salt water, this works for me, also if you dont like the wiff, dont eat bucks :D

It takes away some of the gameyness and helps them cook faster I'm told, its best if you soak them over night in salt water, this works for me, also if you dont like the wiff, dont eat bucks :D

I shall do that in future then :yes:

:clapper: so do Doe's smell of fish then? :whistling:

I'm hoping to boil up the head of my last bunny tomorrow (while the wife's out).

Figured it would be worth preserving the skull it as it is intact :D

Phantom

I shall do that in future then :yes:

:clapper: so do Doe's smell of fish then? :whistling:

I'm hoping to boil up the head of my last bunny tomorrow (while the wife's out).

Figured it would be worth preserving the skull it as it is intact :D

Phantom

Have you ever thought of making a paper weight out of it? you only need some resin ;)

Edited by stealthy1
Rabbit works really well with strong flavours, such as Curry, Bolognese,Cajun etc. or even the humble stew.

If you can get a mincer then it widens the recipe list even further, just use it instead of beef mince.

Bolognese is another good way to serve it on a plate ;)

I strip the loin (muscle either side of the back) and the main of the meat on the back legs and cut into chunks for curries etc, then strip the rest of the carcase of meat and mince it. A single adult rabbit will give you roughly 500g of meat in total, including stripping the front legs (tedious I know!)

One of my favourites at the moment is a sort of homemade Ragu.

Fry 500g of minced Rabbit with some onion, garlic, Paprika and a half spoon of Chilli powder (you don't want it hot)

Add a tin of cheap Morrissons Rattatoi and two tins of chopped tomato's,

Simmer for half an hour then spinkle in a beef oxo cube, Wocestershire sauce, some tomato concentrate and salt and pepper.

leave for further 15 mins (get your pasta done now)

And serve with Pasta and crusty bread!

You can throw in all kinds of herbs and spices, if you like but I prefer it simple.

My wifes favourite is a cheap Chinese curry powder. you mix it with water, pour over the fried chunks of Rabbit and let it thicken then serve with rice. Simples! The curry takes less time than the rice!

Have you ever thought of making a paper weight out of it? you only need some resin ;)

Funnily enough, that was one of my first thoughts :yes:

Whats it they say "Great Minds Think Alike" :clapper:

Wife's only out for an hour so looks like the head will have to wait till Saturday :(

Keep those recipies comming guy's your making me gob water!!

Never thought of mincing, good idea BM :clapper:

Minced bunny burgers sounds like a good idea.

Phantom