This is not an area I'm big on or have a lot of involvement with so I could do with some help please...

.... having a chat with a pal today who is after a 17HMR for Canada Geese...now PLEASE, lets not get into the suitability or not of the tool..the question is...

Lead cannot be used on duck/goose/wildfowl as far as I'm aware but this is only shot..not bullets....

Someone please straighten me out with the use of lead and on what water birds etc, preferably quoting the appropriate Act and sections.

I know there are variations for Scotland...I need to know the situation in ENGLAND.

Many thanks

As I understand it the law states that lead cannot be used to waterfowl......

This includes Canada geese in E&W according to the DEFRA website....

Dont know about firearms exclusions. Simple answer is to ask the legal team of any sporting organistion you or your friends are a member of...

My main thought is that you could only use the rifle under licence for that purpose as whether they are an agricultural pest or not it is my understanding that the legislation only allows them to be taken by a smooth bored gun... not at all sure though

DEKER

still not sure on the rifle issue re is it legal to use one...my thoughts now are probably but please ask BASC....

re lead

This is on the general licence

The authorised person should have regard to the Environmental Protection (Restriction on Use of Lead Shot) (England) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2170). Regulation 3 prohibits the use of lead shot for the purpose of shooting geese with a shot gun.

Clearly say that it is in reference to using a shotgun

DEKER

still not sure on the rifle issue re is it legal to use one...my thoughts now are probably but please ask BASC....

re lead

This is on the general licence

The authorised person should have regard to the Environmental Protection (Restriction on Use of Lead Shot) (England) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2170). Regulation 3 prohibits the use of lead shot for the purpose of shooting geese with a shot gun.

Clearly say that it is in reference to using a shotgun

:thumbs::thumbs: Everything I have found and been advised of points in the Shot/Shotgun direction quite clearly.