Firearms Licensing Departments

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, it all depends if the clerk who works on your application has borrowed the communal brain cell that day!

Edit: One thing I will say is while the knowledge is lacking and the policies are poor, they do try to provide an efficient service, in that they are courteous and will if asked very nicely go out of their way to get things sorted in the end. But the policies really are daft...

Edited by Mr_Logic

GWENT POLICE

the first time i applied for an fac about 20 years ago they took months and they were not very helpful i had to go through some shit to get it but as the years roll by they have got better and have a quicker turnaround, for a variation in 48 hours. but i must say they do seem to hand out fac like sweets these days

WEST MERCIA

very slow at one point then they took on staff to clear back log. took 6 months for my grant of fac and my dad waited that long for shotgun ticket !

they seam to insist mentoring if your new tho some people i no got granted with out mentoring.

i had rifles below from the start

fac air

22lr

17 hmr

the 22lr and hmr had mentoring on them. i could have prob had it took off sooner but asked for it to be took off when i applied for 22/250.

ticket come back 22lr and hmr with out mentoring but 22/250 had mentoring.

waited 8 months asked for 22lr and hmr to be open and cheeky asked for 22/250 to be open if poss or at least mentoring took off.

4 days later had ticket back all open :D

to be fair cant compalain about that. two mins up the road from me but they moved now to malvern :angry: hope there isnt more back logs now they have moved as i got to send my ticket back off soon. spoke to flo would i have to have montoring or dcs1 to add munjac and cwd to my ticket and he said no send it in and they will put it on :clapper:

cumbria

excellent !!!!!!!

can't fault them at all.......very helpful and efficient

had dealings with SGC and FAC with various officers and never a problem, very understanding.

cheers

sean

I live in south Cumbria and agree with you; always had praise for them, very quick and easy to deal with. My local FAO Mick is a real sound bloke.

Best I have dealt with is the Met, worst is Thames Valley (but only for about the last 5 or 6 years, they were ok before that!). Wilts seem to have their head up a cows arse somewhere!

Real problem is there are no doubt good and bad in all area, seems I just run up against prats these days in Thames Valley!! Met have always been sensible, reasonable and helpful in my dealings with them!

wilts are absolutely shocking,had to wait 4 months to see an officer about getting a .22 rimfire,after that they gave me a .22 hornet by mistake,they give new calibres if you apply for them and mis-off the rounds so you cant buy ammo!

me and my mate have dealt with them say for instance 20 times changing calibers etcs.....and i swear about 18 times was wrong.......my mate said he would like to swap his .22 rimfire for a .17hmr and the officer said you havent got a .22 on record!!!!!!!!!!

Best I have dealt with is the Met, worst is Thames Valley (but only for about the last 5 or 6 years, they were ok before that!). Wilts seem to have their head up a cows arse somewhere!

Real problem is there are no doubt good and bad in all area, seems I just run up against prats these days in Thames Valley!! Met have always been sensible, reasonable and helpful in my dealings with them!

wilts are absolutely shocking,had to wait 4 months to see an officer about getting a .22 rimfire,after that they gave me a .22 hornet by mistake,they give new calibres if you apply for them and mis-off the rounds so you cant buy ammo!me and my mate have dealt with them say for instance 20 times changing calibers etcs.....and i swear about 18 times was wrong.......my mate said he would like to swap his .22 rimfire for a .17hmr and the officer said you havent got a .22 on record!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I forgot, Derbyshire did that to me as well, :angel: