It's Great, Getting Out and Just *Seeing Things*!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Just checking my snares today and, as I bent down to examine the one by the stream side, one set amidst some Meadowsweet, I saw something I'd simply never noted before: The birth of a Meadowsweet bloom! Of course, having the ol' camera permanantly grafted to my hip, I just Had To grab a shot. Here it is, look:

Meadowsweet's Birth

Just thought I'd show you that :) But the most amazingly spectacular thing I saw today, something I'd never have been able to capture on 'film' was the butterfly and the dragonfly!

See, there's these off white butterflys, out on the bog. They're pretty plentiful but flighty as hell. I've only ever managed, yet, to capture one with it's wings closed. That shows the intricate veining, but I want to record the wing spots. I'm always trying, but it's murder! Not so much 'murder' as what I was priveliged to whitness today though!

I was trying to sneak up on one of these butterflys which was flirting with me and just suggesting it might sit still long enough for me to finally capture 'That' shot. Mheanwhile, one of our big, brown dragonflies hoved into view and I thought, " If only ....! " Then BANG! F***ing dragon hit that butterfly right where it sat! It was all so fast, I at first doubted I'd seen it right! Just like a sparrowhawk, it was!

Then, even better, as I watched him slide out across the bog, a single, white wing drifted to the ground. Then another. Then another! He was tearing it's four wing sections off in mid air! :o Amazing spectacle!

I did wonder, briefly, if Dragonflies landed to finish their prey, like a sparrow hawk will. But no. It seems they just snatch them and demolish them on the wing.

I tell you; There's not a day goes past I'm not out on that bog. And each and every day throws up at least a few things to make me think; " Well, I never ....! " It's Great! :D

Guest Keeps

Good pic Ditchy, never seen a meadowsweet burst into bloom before, or at least never taken any notice if I have. I've watched a damsel catching its prey though, and yes it landed to finish it off...

5e8a1635.jpg

Edited by Keeps
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:oBrilliant shot, Keeps! Bloody hell, I bet you were absolutley delighted to have captured that one! What in hell camera were you using there???

Now, you say that's a Damsel? I know there's supposed to be some differance, but I'm blowed if I know what it is. I just call them all " Dragon Flies ". I'm swamped with my own Moth Collection here as it is, so I'm not about to start letting myself get hooked on the big wings as well! :laugh:

'Mind you; I could about Kill for a good shot of one of these massive 'Bog Hovers'. They must be a good four inches long, and mostly a light to mid brown colour. I haven't got a clue what they are, but they're about every day. Perhaps, one of these days ....? ;)

Yes its a damselfly Ditchy, much smaller than a dragonfly. Damselflies & Dragonflies

Now that is something that I have never yet managed to photograph - Ive never succeeded in getting close enough to one. I took that pic with a Nikon D50. There are loads of damsels around the ponds at the moment.

Like you, I would love to get a piccy of a "bog hoverer" - one of these days, you never know........ :D

Edited by Keeps
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek:Aeshna grandis ~ Brown Hawker!!! That's My boy, Keeps, I'm pretty well certain of it!

And curse you too, Keeps! One look at that bloody site and I'm hooked already! :rofl: Isn't it Fantastic?! My god, and I was only sat here, last night, ruing the fact that I'm so bloody old now ~ I So regret that I haven't a full life time ahead of me to explore, study and enjoy the absolute whelter of what's just going on around me here. Christ, now I'll have to further divide my limited time by adding an obsession with Damsels and Dragons to my already burgeoning list of things to keep me dashing about the bog! :laugh:

Brilliant site, and haven't they captured some shots to die for?! Lucky sodders! Hey! I wonder; Maybe as the season draws closer to it's ending, these flighty things may, like wasps do, get a little less quick off the mark, eh? Maybe then we'll get that chance of a life time to zero in on one? Definatley something to look out for ;)

Right, enough of this. One more quick round of the forum and I'm off out there. Dull, drizzly day but still yet so much to do! Camera, of course, ever ready! :D

Yes its a damselfly Ditchy, much smaller than a dragonfly. Damselflies & Dragonflies

Now that is something that I have never yet managed to photograph - Ive never succeeded in getting close enough to one. I took that pic with a Nikon D50. There are loads of damsels around the ponds at the moment.

Like you, I would love to get a piccy of a "bog hoverer" - one of these days, you never know........ :D

That picture is a bit special Keeps! top draw photography :clapper:.

Cheers

Tony

Keep's ..... How do you find that Nikon D50 compared to what everyone else seem's to be using the Canon EOS 350d ????

Breeze Ive never used a Canon 350 d so its difficult for me to compare, though I did once have a Canon EOS slr which unfortunately broke. I just prefer Nikon lenses, its a personal preference I guess - I like Nikons. I'd really like a couple of nice lenses to get the best out of it, one of these days I might be lucky to get one... :) The damselfly pic was taken using the bogstandard (pardon the pun :D ) 18 - 55 mm lens.