dispatching foxes

hi lads

i was talking to a pest tec the other day who was telling my about a job he had coming up (trapping foxes) i asked him how he was going to dispatch it when if he caught it he said with an air rifle .... i dont think an air rifle would kill it humanely without causing undue distress it then got me thinking is it legal ?

cheers gary

not a problem with a 22 rimminmate but this guy is gonna use a bsa lightening 12flb i dont think an air rifle would kill it out right with 1 shot

Are you sure its not FAC ?

nah mate its defo 12ftp bsa lightining

this might be a silly question, but if it is legal then why cant we go out with an air rife with the dogs flushing foxes and still be within the law, woud that be legal, honest question i dont know the ins and outs so just interested

• 2 weeks later...
this might be a silly question, but if it is legal then why cant we go out with an air rife with the dogs flushing foxes and still be within the law, woud that be legal, honest question i dont know the ins and outs so just interested

Dont say anywhere that you cannae.

Be pretty hard to land a perfect head shot on a bolting fox though wouldnt it? Hit it anywhere else and it'll either be mamed or dog meat.

:yes:

Dont say anywhere that you cannae.

Be pretty hard to land a perfect head shot on a bolting fox though wouldnt it? Hit it anywhere else and it'll either be mamed or dog meat.

In reply to bucky you live in Scotland and the protection of wild mammals (Scotland) act states that when flushed by dogs they should be killed by a shotgun firearm or bird of prey. :yes:

The "Code of Good Practice" associated with the Governmemt's "Code of Conduct for Terrierwork" clearly states that...

- A rifle should not be used to shoot a running fox. Always use an appropriate shotgun

and ammunition (see below). A fox bolted in open country may stop and look back

after running a short distance. It may be prudent to have a centre-fire rifle available for

this eventuality but always ensure that the shot is safe. Air rifles are unsuitable for fox

control and .22 rim fire rifles should only be used at short ranges up to 30 metres.

- Results from research show that the use of a 12 bore shotgun with No

1(3.6mm) or No 3 (3.3mm) shot at twenty and thirty yards results in more than 90%

instant kills or humanely dispatched animals.

I hope this helps.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Air rifles are unsuitable for fox

control and .22 rim fire rifles should only be used at short ranges up to 30 metres.

it is legal to point blank shoot a fox in a cage trap or else my fao is in trouble . but to take pot shots at free runing or flushed foxe's is a no no .