last season my lurcher was lame after a night lamping, noticed he had a swollen knuckle on his front left paw. after a couple of days he stopped limping but swelling took ages to go down. didnt run him for ages. but seems fine now, still fatter than normal though. now he has done the same on the other paw,i rested him for a few weeks but when i did some retrieve training he went lame again.has anyone got any ideas or know of a desent dog vet in my area(merseyside,cheshire).was really looking forward to the new season.he is a greyhound/whippet type 3yr old. thanks!

• 1 month later...

It all depends on what type of ground ur running the dog on, ground types changes every day according to the weather - ie: soft ground, frosted ground, etc there are many factors.

This problem is quite common in any running dog it could of broken its toe or have a slight sprain to the toe ligament when running, you never know he could of run on a stone awkward and twisted it, as i had this problem with my bull x a few weeks back. His toe was swollen and red. And if you picked his leg up and looked at the nail you could see the redness and puss that was coming out of it underneath and around the nail. The dog will lick it itself but we gave him a jab of penicillin as it was infected or if you havent got any access to this, just give him antibiotics that we have for infection.

Give you dog a tablet every day for about 3-5 days and you should see a sign of improvement, according to you take the dog out on the lead for at least 1 week so there you can see if it has improved. If it is improving great keep him on the lead until the toe has fully gone down, i know its tempting but we would do exactly the same.

atb Rhian

try cod liver oil mate that might help

got him on that glucosamine and veg oil. his coat is fantastic, tried to take a picture of him today but the sun just bounced off him! :clapper: got some radiol for him too.time is the best healer though so hope he will be fit by the time the rain comes and softens the ground!