Rabbits not staying out.

Guest air gunner

Guest air gunner

After spending a bit of time shooting at a mates and shooting in his paddocks. we begun to get a little frustrated. Both of us are using springers him a webly stingray and me my supersport. so there we are we have sat out for around 15 mins and nothing just as we are about to check another spot. some rabbits pop out a good 50yrds away. not wanting to risk any shots we start to crawl closer as we did this a bunny poppe out 5yrds away from me so obviously it dropped like a stone. not a movement. one down we look back to the others and they are all gone. This is not the only time however. we can only ever get one per field becasue the others just go! i have found this at all the places i have shot at. apart from one where i went with a guy with a pcp. So after much anoyance we have a theory that pcps would mean the bunnys are not spooked so you can pop them off one by one. Is this true? Also i know most of you reccomend any air arms rifles but what about the bsa ultra multishot? scorpion? and the new FX guns? any good.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think a lot is due to the time of year, well more dependant on the number of young uns about. The younger ones come out much quicker than the mature and weary ones.

I have been using both spring and PCP. I find that once a shot has been fired, most bunnies will run for cover!

They tend to stay hidden for half an hour or more sometimes.

I laid up in ambush a few weeks ago for nearly 2 hours. Got 3 bunnies with the PCP. Once a pellet connects with a skull and a bunny does its accrobatics the noise of the impact and the movement tends to scare all others off!

The young ones Ive found only run a few yards then stop and have a look, listen and sniff around.

Phantom

i have found shooting a bsa xl tactical and now a .22 lr the rabits still run for cover , what i do is once i have had a shot and they have ran is go to another part of my permision and have a shot there . By the time i have done that i go back and the rabits are back out to play and just repeat the process , i only do this because i am far to impatient to sit about .

Guest air gunner

The thing is i went out with the silenced rimmy boys and they managed to get 4 in the same spot. as i was getting ready to take mine from around 35yrds two rabbits dropped behind my one ( there were two rimmy shooters) and still most of the rabbits from the warren dident even move so another two were taken once i took my shot the remaining 5 out of the 12 or so had gone. Does anyone take more than one rabbit per 60yrds? springer or pcp?

The thing is i went out with the silenced rimmy boys and they managed to get 4 in the same spot. as i was getting ready to take mine from around 35yrds two rabbits dropped behind my one ( there were two rimmy shooters) and still most of the rabbits from the warren dident even move so another two were taken once i took my shot the remaining 5 out of the 12 or so had gone. Does anyone take more than one rabbit per 60yrds? springer or pcp?

Were the rimmy boys out lamping?

As for bunnies at 60 yards; Highly unlikely! FAC air rifles will probably be up to the job, but sub 12 I dont think it would be possible.

Phantom

It's not the noise that makes them run in, it's movement, stay under cover and don't pick them up until you have finished. In the evening I regularly shoot rabbits by sitting in my motor with a 223 It's usually possible to get two at least, they then run to the edge of cover and if they see no movement come out again within a few minutes. They take no notice of the motor if there is no movement associated with it.

After spending a bit of time shooting at a mates and shooting in his paddocks. we begun to get a little frustrated. Both of us are using springers him a webly stingray and me my supersport. so there we are we have sat out for around 15 mins and nothing just as we are about to check another spot. some rabbits pop out a good 50yrds away. not wanting to risk any shots we start to crawl closer as we did this a bunny poppe out 5yrds away from me so obviously it dropped like a stone. not a movement. one down we look back to the others and they are all gone. This is not the only time however. we can only ever get one per field becasue the others just go! i have found this at all the places i have shot at. apart from one where i went with a guy with a pcp. So after much anoyance we have a theory that pcps would mean the bunnys are not spooked so you can pop them off one by one. Is this true? Also i know most of you reccomend any air arms rifles but what about the bsa ultra multishot? scorpion? and the new FX guns? any good.

Hi mate i use a bsa ultra and i find it very handy, i was in a lie up last night and every shot scared the other bunnies off but they ony run in the edges and give it time and quiete and there back out

good luck.

Guest air gunner

Ooops you have got me wrong i dident mean shoot them at 60yrds i meant within a radius of 60yrds you can shoot one get into range then shoot the next. No the rimmy guys werent lamping im afraid. So the only real advantage of a pcp is accuracy!

Guest buster321c

Are you serious ? You move off after 15 minutes , then when you do get one you`re surprised that they run for cover ?? You should try sitting down wind of a warren , about 30 yds and sit there for 3 hours . Out of interest what time you going out ??

Guest air gunner

We go out at around 6:30 we only moved off after 15mins becasue the rabbits here hardly ever get hunted and have had a about 6months with not a gun in sight. we hunted the day before and saw them go in we sat out for around 10 mins and they were out again. To be honest 3 hours is a waist of time. we know what we are doing. different requirements for different shoots. when lamping we can get a couple at a time. but in this circumstance we were lying 50yrds from the rabbits and were crawling towards them and they were fine and happily eating they couldent see us becasue the grass was quite high in front of us the rabbit that hopped out was literally 5yrds away so i shot it and it just lay down not a movement. so we left it and looked back and the rabbits that were 50yrds out had all gone. we were wondering if it was the noise.

Ah right that makes it 30 yards range then :)

Yeah thats about my comfort zone with my springer on live quarry; although I can shoot further with it at metal knockdowns. I have a custom silencer on it now that I am itchin to try out properly.

I know the noise from the action will still make a sound, but I have followed some tips from guy's on here and its surprising how much the noise has been reduced. :cool:

As for accuracy, a springer is just as accurate as a pcp if you can shoot it well enough ;)

Phantom

Guest buster321c

We go out at around 6:30 we only moved off after 15mins becasue the rabbits here hardly ever get hunted

I take it you mean 6:30pm , I would be going out at about 9 and doin the `hour before and hour after dark `

We hunted the day before

Maybe the were a bit jumpy still from the day before , as you were there also , dont forget if anything is different , they will notice straight away .

To be honest 3 hours is a waist of time.

You really think 3 hours sitting , even if you dont shoot anything , is wasted ? I would spend it observing the warren , and movements of the quarry .

we know what we are doing. when lamping we can get a couple at a time. but in this circumstance we were lying 50yrds from the rabbits and were crawling towards them and they were fine and happily eating they couldent see us becasue the grass was quite high in front of us

They still might be able to smell you , and then any sudden noise is the final straw for a jumpy bunny

We were wondering if it was the noise.

Well it probably is to a certain degree , i use a Weihrauch mod , on my S400 and they still scarper sometimes , patience is your greatest assett , along with good field craft .