Roe..Red Stag

Guys

You are entitled to a view but slagging off my actions, ability or knowledge is hardly constructive!!

Can I just advise you all I have done NOTHING illegal and NOTHING wrong, in fact I have performed a much appreciated service to the stable owners in this case, who transported both deer back to the motors for me in their tractor trailer!! I would have no hesitation in doing it again, and therefore any adverse comments you have are merely your opinion, which you are of course entitled to.

Last figures I saw Defra estimates 182,000 TOO MANY Roe in this country...So I am happy to help, even though some here apparently hope the population will grow.. :hmm: ? Perhaps you would like to explain that to the stable owners who have to buy in more food as they watch the Roe eating their profits! Just in case you didn't know 2 Roe will eat as much grass in a day as a Horse, and the young eat more on the whole than adults!! Deer generally are also responsible for considerable fence, crop and property damage and also ate £1200 out of £2000 worth of flowers planted on one of my estates over night......it was not a deer stalk, it was an elimination exercise! Now, what do you think the owners would say if I told them I could only shoot the old boys who were on their last legs already!!!! (I also gave them some advice on what sort of flowers to buy next time that the deer were not so keen on)

We live in the real world..the deer is a unwanted visitor in many circumstances..I accept we often see him as the King of Beasts but I have a job to do, I do it professionally and effectively and I don't have any problem with control where appropriate.

A .243 is a VERY capable Red/any deer tool, particularly from the point of view of VERMIN/PEST/POPULATION CONTROL..call it whatever you like (arguing over the specific meaning of these words is pointless in the context of the original post..it is not a Sporting Estate, they cause grief so they get legally shot). ANYONE who says it isn't has not used it with any assortment of ammo, but I suspect they probably just can't shoot! And before you all scream again I also have a .223 which is listed on my FAC as Roe Legal in Scotland for me, a .308 which is all deer legal of course and have considerable experience with these. I am comprehensively aware of the terminal effect of all these calibres at assorted distance with assorted ammo on assorted deer! ...I have my opinion of what works best in whatever circumstances, as apparently some of you have. Well, you are entitled to your opinion so please accept mine as well!

Baby Squirrels/Rabbit/Fox/Cows/Pigs/Sheep ETC ETC are killed for Control/Food EVERY DAY and I see little or no comment! Who put the deer on some sort of a pedestal??

Have any laws been broken?? NO!!!!

Therefore we are talking opinion....

It's my opinion and I make no apologies, you are entitled to your opinion, if you don't like it fine, but please refrain from making comments about my ability simply because it does not meet your viewpoint!

I could easily suggest some of you are uninformed pompous keyboard pratts trying to earn brownie points which I will not do, because it is pointless, much as a number of comments I have read recently!

Now.. as I have suggested, can we all agree to disagree and move on......Thank you!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fireball

What a pathetic attempt to justify your actions.. I think your grown up enough to realise now that your actions are extremely unpalatable to the majority of folk who show an interest in Deer welfare and control on this excellent forum.

Your Inexperience, ignorance and self importance show`s more to me than ever after reading that drivel...

your first post did get me thinking actually and as far as iam concerned you used a suitable calibre and bullet. performed two accurate shots. perfectly safe with good backstops. and provided a good service of deer control to those that needed it. prehaps the picture was going to encourage a bit of contraversy but i think its a shame how people just jump on the band wagon and put you down. by reading your comments it is also easy to see that you are well aware of the laws regarding this matter and have not breached them in any way.

atb

gossy

Guys

You are entitled to a view but slagging off my actions, ability or knowledge is hardly constructive!!

Can I just advise you all I have done NOTHING illegal and NOTHING wrong, in fact I have performed a much appreciated service to the stable owners in this case, who transported both deer back to the motors for me in their tractor trailer!! I would have no hesitation in doing it again, and therefore any adverse comments you have are merely your opinion, which you are of course entitled to.

Last figures I saw Defra estimates 182,000 TOO MANY Roe in this country...So I am happy to help, even though some here apparently hope the population will grow.. :hmm: ? Perhaps you would like to explain that to the stable owners who have to buy in more food as they watch the Roe eating their profits! Just in case you didn't know 2 Roe will eat as much grass in a day as a Horse, and the young eat more on the whole than adults!! Deer generally are also responsible for considerable fence, crop and property damage and also ate £1200 out of £2000 worth of flowers planted on one of my estates over night......it was not a deer stalk, it was an elimination exercise! Now, what do you think the owners would say if I told them I could only shoot the old boys who were on their last legs already!!!! (I also gave them some advice on what sort of flowers to buy next time that the deer were not so keen on)

We live in the real world..the deer is a unwanted visitor in many circumstances..I accept we often see him as the King of Beasts but I have a job to do, I do it professionally and effectively and I don't have any problem with control where appropriate.

A .243 is a VERY capable Red/any deer tool, particularly from the point of view of VERMIN/PEST/POPULATION CONTROL..call it whatever you like (arguing over the specific meaning of these words is pointless in the context of the original post..it is not a Sporting Estate, they cause grief so they get legally shot). ANYONE who says it isn't has not used it with any assortment of ammo, but I suspect they probably just can't shoot! And before you all scream again I also have a .223 which is listed on my FAC as Roe Legal in Scotland for me, a .308 which is all deer legal of course and have considerable experience with these. I am comprehensively aware of the terminal effect of all these calibres at assorted distance with assorted ammo on assorted deer! ...I have my opinion of what works best in whatever circumstances, as apparently some of you have. Well, you are entitled to your opinion so please accept mine as well!

Baby Squirrels/Rabbit/Fox/Cows/Pigs/Sheep ETC ETC are killed for Control/Food EVERY DAY and I see little or no comment! Who put the deer on some sort of a pedestal??

Have any laws been broken?? NO!!!!

Therefore we are talking opinion....

It's my opinion and I make no apologies, you are entitled to your opinion, if you don't like it fine, but please refrain from making comments about my ability simply because it does not meet your viewpoint!

I could easily suggest some of you are uninformed pompous keyboard pratts trying to earn brownie points which I will not do, because it is pointless, much as a number of comments I have read recently!

Now.. as I have suggested, can we all agree to disagree and move on......Thank you!!

WELL SAID :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Guys Just in case you didn't know 2 Roe will eat as much grass in a day as a Horse,

Really, and here was me thinking that Roe were browsers and not grazers like the reds. Are you sure that you are not taring the Roe with the damage that the reds are doing? If we estimate that a horse will eat around 2% of it's body weight per day and that the average horse weight is 1000 lbs, that would suggest the horse would consume 20 lbs of green grass per day and you suggest a roe will graze 10 lbs of grass per day. The average weight of a roe being say 40 lbs, so you are saying that a Roe will consume over 25% of it's body weight in grass ? Where did you find this information? or did you carry out extensive research on your own?

John

What a pathetic attempt to justify your actions.. I think your grown up enough to realise now that your actions are extremely unpalatable to the majority of folk who show an interest in Deer welfare and control on this excellent forum.

Your Inexperience, ignorance and self importance show`s more to me than ever after reading that drivel...

he had a good try though ;)

fireball, deker has helped me out many a time and i know for a fact that he is very experienced. your reply on this thread whas that of a child, just using big words.

Some people just need to understand the difference between Stalking for sportings sake and that of deer control to preserve peoples crops. I hunt for pleasure, i enjoy creeping about seeing how close i can get to an animal.

People who cull deer for a living must have to be somewhat more ruthless or they would never get any business, and the other people who participate in fieldsports should be more understanding in this matter.

Guest Fireball

Listen hear Aronthenobsuck i worked with a Bricklayer once who been in the game in his words for over 30 years and to be honest he was wank.

How he survived for that number of years in a trade that he obviously knew feck all about absolutely amazed me??

He also considered himself experienced :laugh:

All i can say is he must of worked for and with a great load of pretender`s in all his time.

You see Aronthenobsuck in layman`s term he was what you`d call masquerading as a Bricklayer like Deker is masquerading as a Deerstalker which is quite obvious to the more experienced amongst us.

So in short your forgiven for your little infantile outburst and your short sightedness..

Edited by Fireball
Deker, what sort of response did you really expect when you posted the picture???

Cant help thining a blind man could have seen this lot comming

6pointer

Maybe something that wasn't along the lines of baby killing Bambi murderer perhaps? I thought that the shooting section was filled with adults that could reason and debate a matter, and see the reasons behind a method. Not saying anybody has to agree with it, just understand the reasons for doing it.

Deker, what sort of response did you really expect when you posted the picture???

Cant help thining a blind man could have seen this lot comming

6pointer

Maybe something that wasn't along the lines of baby killing Bambi murderer perhaps? I thought that the shooting section was filled with adults that could reason and debate a matter, and see the reasons behind a method. Not saying anybody has to agree with it, just understand the reasons for doing it.

:blink:

and what reasons would they be Malt? !!!!

did you read or a book or fone a friend?

:blink:

and what reasons would they be Malt? !!!!

did you read or a book or fone a friend?

Being new here I'm not sure my opinion counts for a lot but what I would say is that if the OP was acting in the essence of pest control then he didn't do anything wrong, to reduce the numbers. I'm not 100% behind his method, for a reduction in numbers he should be looking at culling the does when the season opens but in the short term removing YOUNG and OLD is simply mimicking predation so in terms of natural selection his actions would have been justified. In terms of sport then obviously this would strike a cord with many 'sportsmen & sports women' and would seem to be repulsive. In fairness to the OP he has yet to report his estimated census on deer numbers contained in the area which may well be far too high to produce healthy deer. I would personally say that to mock him and call him a baby killer is to show a lack of understanding of natural predation.

Just my last 2'p worth.

John