Country old school/Airgun noob.....

Hi,

Just bought my 1st air rifle about 48hrs ago...I needed a new hobby,saw an abundance of Bunnies near...and the rat problem...(flooded river + Scrapyard...and multiply by my nice but aged neighbour feeding old fruit and bread to the 'birds') and theres a lot of pidg flying about too....

Its my mates fault,it started by picking fruit for the 1st time in 15 years,ran onto a bit of crabbing at the shoreline and ended by a late evening bunny spotting session...Ive not fired any weapon in a decade,but my shots still there :angel: god willing!!!!

I should have done this aeons ago.....

Question I have seems to be an aged one.....save long distance hypnosis,whats the correct way to sneak and not spook the prey....?

Currantly the best solution I see is sneak into a hedge,and just....wait..till it surrounds you (Rabbit) but its a tad time consuming.

Any quicker way?

Edited by ARGH213

Laying up in ambush is a good way to bash the bunnies, but yes its time consuming.

You could take the opportunist route, it has worked for me before, but you have to move very slowly and quietly.

Bunnies seem to see movement as well as bright/light colours. They also feel vibrations, have a hell of a sense of hearing and smell.

A mate of mine and I went bashing last week, he wandered, I laid up in wait. Score 3 to me 1 to him.

Stalk em if you can its well worth the reward.

Welcome by the way, where are you?

Phantom

Cas....west of you by 40ish miles (never been to Brough).

---

Yeah Im aware of the 'permission' thing,and its sense,else every Tom,Dick,and Harry's gonna just run about blasting everything in sight (saying that there's the 'chav' commune that ferret/dog EVERYTHING in the banks and hedgerows,and do they get caught???) As a mate said "There's Shooting people and people that shoot". For me it was a question of simple wonder...and to be frank,Im rubbish at judging distance,so Im thinking of joining the local airgun club,I just hope it isnt too cliquey.....to get a ton of target practice/nous under my belt. You cant ever be too finetuned :)

----------

On the bunny senses.....Yeah,Ive wondered,I know the sight and hearing IS amazing,but Ive nearly trod on a few when wandering about Thornborough Henge (I like ancient sites too),yet on the flat on the disused slagheaps..wander 50/60 yards away round the corner..and WHOOMPH...gone....

The only advise I could give you is to look, study, and learn, every time you go out you'll get that little better, and then you'll become another THL addict on here, good luck ;)

Agree we learn as we go along.Once you know the ground it get,s easyer.atb Catcher 1

its a missconception that rabbits have good eye sight

their main sense is smell followed by sound (but they sense of smell is much greater) that is why alot of people ( novices) dont take into consideration the wind.......i have stalked rabbits to under 10 yards ( from down wind) .

as stealthy said, if you learn the behaviour of your quarry.........it will become much easier and quicker.

they also behave differently on different permissions........if it was that easy we probably wouldn't bother........LOL

experience and practice, practice, practice.

have you considered buying a range finder ????........great piece of kit and it also helps improve your natural distance estimation. ( would also go well with the mission impossible music, playing in your head....lol)

atb

sean

what gun have you got argh213? and i like getting snug lying in a field and wait for th rabbits to come out

BSA Lightning XL........It felt the nicest to me in the shop.

OK,total noob question alert....How do you actually go about obtaining permission? Theres a place less than a mile from me,its teeming with vermin of all kinds,and can I find or see life from an owner,never....its old British coal land,and its just ..sort of..let out to the local travellers to dump their Shires for a month or two....

Bunny everywhere,as with woodpigeons....

Guest buster321c
what gun have you got argh213? and i like getting snug lying in a field and wait for th rabbits to come out

BSA Lightning XL........It felt the nicest to me in the shop.

OK,total noob question alert....How do you actually go about obtaining permission? Theres a place less than a mile from me,its teeming with vermin of all kinds,and can I find or see life from an owner,never....its old British coal land,and its just ..sort of..let out to the local travellers to dump their Shires for a month or two....

Bunny everywhere,as with woodpigeons....

Permission and insurance are a MUST , if your caught mooching with an airrifle you have to be aware that its Armed Trespass , and can result in a very severe telling off from the local Magistrate .

Guest buster321c

Your airgun Must be bagged in any public place , and if your caught with it somewhere you dont have permission , shooting , then its armed trespass .

Insurance is a great help when trying to gain some permission , best thing is to visit as many farmers / green keepers as you can and jusyt go ` cap in hand ` and ask , you can also write letters and post them to as many as possible , ask all the lads , its hard work , but it will pay off eventually . PM on its way .