Just thought id share the fact im going to attempt to make bramble jelly today! Its my first time at it so not over confident.

Ive collected 6lb of bramles this last few days and collected numerous scratches and cuts too. Will get some photos up today of the brambles, a bit of a "before and after"!!! and will hopefully get some up of the finished product.

Attempted to make some yesterday,had 9lb plums,1 1/4 lb blackberries,1.25 kg sugar and about 5 apples (for the pectin)off the tree behind me.Boiled the nuts out of it for 2 hrs and still didn't set :angry:

Get yourself some sugar with pectin in ,asda do it (silverspoon)going to try and redo this, got 2 massive jars out of it,seems a waste :( it would have lasted me for ages ;)

Great result! Made 3 and a half jars of bramble jelly and it tastes amazing! I am having trouble getting photos up for some reason but im welll chuffed.

It really is the best tasting jam/jelly ive ever tasted!!!!!

The colour is superb and it set perfect too!!

I made some last night as a tester. I used just over a pound of Blackberries a handfull of rasberry's and about 5 blackcurrants I know its a bit of a random mixture but thats what I picked last night. I would say it was 95% blackberries. Any way I used equal amounts of berries and sugar. boiled the berries in about 1/8th of a pint of water untill soft then added the sugar and the recipe said grate and add the juice of 1 lemon I think this is for the pectin which helps it set. I didnt have a lemon so I used a nectarine and nectarine skin. I then boiled the mixture for about 30 mins. Boiled some jars and lids in water to sterilise and then poured the jam in. It set perfect and tastes amazing Ill be making some more tonight so Ill put some pictures up.

ATB

S1FTP

What did you use to get it set trappa?Going picking on saturday ;)

i didnt mate, it set itself! I got this recipe from my mam and its lovely!!

6lbs brambles and 1 pint of water, simmer for 20 mins

Strain overnight in a jelly bag, dont squeeze bag or let it touch the juice thats dripped or it goes cloudy

Next morning add 1 lb sugar to every pint of liquid

Boil rapidly for around 20 mins

Thats it and its lovely! no fannying on with pectin or owt, just that and its great!

ive just made 3 jars of bramble and apple jam, will test it later!

Strain overnight in a jelly bag, dont squeeze bag or let it touch the juice thats dripped or it goes cloudy

Thats it and its lovely! no fannying on with pectin or owt, just that and its great!

Does yours have the fruit bits in it aswell then and the seeds or is it just jelly?

Attempted to make some yesterday,had 9lb plums,1 1/4 lb blackberries,1.25 kg sugar and about 5 apples (for the pectin)off the tree behind me.Boiled the nuts out of it for 2 hrs and still didn't set :angry:

Get yourself some sugar with pectin in ,asda do it (silverspoon)going to try and redo this, got 2 massive jars out of it,seems a waste :( it would have lasted me for ages ;)

use it to make smoothies then

Does yours have the fruit bits in it aswell then and the seeds or is it just jelly?

That recipe there is for a jelly (no bits). i made bramble and apple jam today (with bits) , i can give you that too if anyone wants.

just made 4 jars ov blackberry and appel seedless jam/jelly, it is fekin lovely on toast kids think it is better than the jam from the shops, set perfect thanks to trapper`s method, will pop some pics up the morn :thumbs:

goin to try and make a crumble and a few pies and tarts the morn,

thanks again mate .................lamp

I've messed about a bit over the years with jams and the trick, IMO, is not to use very ripe fruit: if its too ripe it won't set and all the boiling in the world won't do it. Also, if you over boil then it goes past the setting point anyway.

Just made 8 jars of damson jam from the tree in my back yard: the fruit was a bit overripe but its set pretty well, and I only used 12oz sugar to a 1lb of fruit: but eGods it took some time to de-stone the little b*ggers LOL

I've messed about a bit over the years with jams and the trick, IMO, is not to use very ripe fruit: if its too ripe it won't set and all the boiling in the world won't do it. Also, if you over boil then it goes past the setting point anyway.

Just made 8 jars of damson jam from the tree in my back yard: the fruit was a bit overripe but its set pretty well, and I only used 12oz sugar to a 1lb of fruit: but eGods it took some time to de-stone the little b*ggers LOL

hi skycat could i have youre recipe for this?

Easy: de stone as many damsons as you want LOl Took me an hour while I was watching TV to do 6 lbs. If you are using quite unripe fruit (too late for that now) then you can add about 100 ml of water, but if the fruit is ripe don't add any water. Simmer very slowly until the skins are soft.

Weigh the simmered fruit and add 12oz suger to each lb of simmered fruit. Sorry I keep hopping between decimal and imperial: can't quite make the conversion total LOl

Stir frantically whilst heating up until sugar is completely dissolved then boil fast until it reaches setting point. My fruit was a bit over ripe and didn't set completely but as there is a lot of fruit per pot it doesn't really matter too much.

The only thing is with quite tart jam with less sugar is that it doesn't keep so long and once opened you need to keep it in the fridge to stop it going mouldy.

Next year I'll be making sure I use slightly under ripe fruit as it sets better. Damsons apparently have a lot of natural pectin in anyway, but one recipe I saw suggested splitting the stones with a hammer and extracting the kernals which you tie in a muslin bag and simmer with the fruit for even more pectin.

Bugger that for a game of tin soldiers: would take faaaaaar toooo long LOL

That recipe there is for a jelly (no bits). i made bramble and apple jam today (with bits) , i can give you that too if anyone wants.

Whats the recipe trappa if you don't mind me asking as I have ferreting permission around an old orchard and the owner said help yourself to as many apples as you want, there are also big hedgerows of blackberries and don't want nothing to go to waste.

Thanks

JoeD