Do you take a dog out

I'd be interested to know if any of you guys take a dog out with you, I went to a friend's permission on Monday and he took his three dogs...they scared the crap out of everything :thumbdown:

I appreciate that it is a matter of training and the old "crap in crap out" scenario but would be keen to know who does who doesn't..... and what breeds. I know we are all perfect shots but would a lurcher be a useful tool for an injured runner or is this viewed as prolonging the kill? (at least you'd get the rabbit back and be able to despatch accordingly)

Cheers Guys,

- Keep in touch Buster, I'll make the trip over this time.

Guest hyperion

id love to be able to take my lurcher with me when im out with the air gun but hes just to scared of it and i really have no idea why!

used to take my old lab x collie with me when i went squirrel shooting, the squirrels wouldnt make off across the ground with him there plus nine times out of ten they were more concerned about keeping the dog in sight than they were about me and were much easier to shoot!

cheers

hyperion

Used to take my shepherd, handy for picking up twitchers and kickers, and he is steady enough to lay still with out getting bored and messing every thing up, he's getting to old now to run around much now, but I hope to train my lurcher pup to be an all rounder, but thats one for the future :D

I always take my lurcher with me when i go out shooting don't like to go out without a dog to be honest just incase something is just pricked. Makes life easier retrieving things that have been killed cleanly aswell especially out of water. Also usefull for squirrel shooting when they are playing hide and seek around the trunk i send the dog round the other side of the tree then shoot the squirrel when it comes round to my side. Could maybe get in the way when shooting rabbits because he wants to chase them but i can make him sit and wait at one end of the hedge or whatever while i stalk along it then call him to me when i have done. In the hide he just lays down till needed. My dog is 7 now and is pretty experienced at that sort of thing so knows what is expected of him (though he does have his moments). I have been out with my mates dogs and they were running round scareing everything off so it depeds on the individual dog but i would say if you wanted to take a dog with you then go for it but don't expect too much from it at first. Spend plenty of time with it concentrating on training the dog more than shooting at first and in the end having a dog with you will increase your bag and make your day more enjoyable.

I use my brittany for falconry & shooting, a dog is handy for retrieving and like others have said making squirrels show themselves , its best to make the dog keep to heal ,i also teach the dog to respond to quiet signals that way your not blasting dog whistles every where .happy hunting john

025.jpg

all my lurchers are fine with gun shot noises, my bitch had her first rabbit when out with a friend using an air rifle so she connects the two together - to be honest i'm not sure if its good or bad as if your not watching her close while and theres a shot on nearby she'll make a beeline!! cringe! . . . have discovered its not liked much lol

all my lurchers are fine with gun shot noises, my bitch had her first rabbit when out with a friend using an air rifle so she connects the two together - to be honest i'm not sure if its good or bad as if your not watching her close while and theres a shot on nearby she'll make a beeline!! cringe! . . . have discovered its not liked much lol

My beddy/whippet had his first two rabbits out with the air rifle. :yes::thumbs: