recommended cartridges

just wondering what cartridges people would advise using, i know a lot is probably down to personal preference and how is shoots through the gun but would be interested in hearing what people would recommend. its a beretta 687, if that influences anyones advice.

anyone care to suggest a basic package for decoying, i know equipment overload is easy and there is loads to buy, but what would people recommend in addition to the 10 shell decoys ive been using.

any advice warmly welcomed. :signthankspin:

• 3 weeks later...

hull pro one 28g number 7 1/2 to 8 is a cracking shell for clays hull special pigeon 32 gms number 6 for the crows and pigeons and the odd rabbit number 4 or 5 for hares and express super game AAA 36g for foxs ..well thats what i use and i dont go far wrong :11: and dont bother with the sg shells there a waist of time for foxs ..look on here for your stuff it all good gear , http://www.ukshootwarehouse.co.uk/ get the pigeon flapper it really does work well on the pigeon and crows .far better than the pigeon magnet ..and get your self the STEALTH 2 Ply Netting and poles its the best iv ever used the crows just dont see it .. ;)

Edited by rob reynolds uk
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i tend to use 7's over decoys as, ideadlly, you know where your killing area is and you can get a thicker pattern over that 30-35 yrd range... For most other stuff i use 6's and keep a couple of bb's in the belt for Charley. :whistle: As far a the equipment goes... ten cheep shell decoys and ANYTHING that will get a bit of movement in the pattern whether its a bouncer or an improvised flapper made out of garden canes, wire mesh and fishing line! (...and something to sit on).

clear pigeon for decoying,express number 1"s for charlies,i like a alphamax bb for the charlies,but find the third cartridge gets jammed in my auto,express dont...any one have the same problem with there auto,mine being a beretta..

Guest scraget05

i,ve used elay 6 1/2 30grm hb pigeon i find them a real good pigeon cartridge and they are fast! i have a beretta seems to work fine in that and as for decoying ive tryed most things and i find either your lucky or your not ive got a flapper and a whirly gig and been going out using them last summer shooting over barley and only been having bags of 20-30-40! one day my mate phoned me up just on the off chance at 2:00pm so a bit of a rush we got down there at 3:00pm we only had the decoy pigeon shells out 8 of them the barley was cut 2 weeks befor and shot 88 pigeons in just over 3 hours so its just luck i think if you can catch them or not {but thats the fun} and as for fox cartridges i use number 3 with a 42grm express but thats in an old winchester with tight chokes hope thats sum help!!!

Guest scraget05
number 3 42g express droped me a fox today :)

nice to hear hope you drop plenty more with them it what you think of them mate?? ive used AAA and BB and found that number 3 42grms express are about the best for me that is!!

Guest rothbury

I prefer to use 7 1/2 Saga fibre wad for crows.

I also recomend Flocked crow decoys.

I bought a few off Decoying.co.uk. (highly recomended).

I was invited on a crow shoot on the weekend my buddie set out his decoys at one end of the field and I set up over in the other corner.

I bagged a good few more and he was cursing because they were coming in over his plastic decoys

and taking more interest in mine on the other side of the field.

A good hide is also essential cause once they see you they are orf.

And of coarse when you bagged 2 or 3 and all is quite,peg them out aswell.

Rabbits I use Saga No6s or 5s,and for fox Eley magnum bb 42g.

And I always while out rough shooting keep a magnum top barrel and no6 in the bottom. :hmm: