WHAT AGE DID YOUR DOG START CATCHING

hi i just wonderd what age you dog caught its first rabbit single handed or what he caught first and what type of breed they were.?

my saluki/greyhound dog started catching rabbits at 6 months

but my saluki/greyhound bitch didnt start until 9 months

thanks

hi i just wonderd what age you dog caught its first rabbit single handed or what he caught first and what type of breed they were.?

thanks

i always run my pups in pairs on rabbit :blink: am you havin a laugh mate doublin up on rabbits whats this mate aint your dogs good enough on there own,,, start them to young they will start the yappin off,, do there joints no good ,, then they get past about like a fek ,, let the pup be a pup its only 10 months your waitin ,,you dont get em till there 8 weeks old ,, then you have them for a good few years !!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

yeah my saluki grey first caught a rabbit at 7 months he was chasing from 6 months

:clapper: my pup got his first decent run and kill this morning he's 8 months old deerhound x wheaton-whippet,hes been working well fror a while but this morning was his first decent run and he got his kill,brought it back to me aswell so im well happy :clapper: Edited by markmccann

thanks

its a wile since i had a pup but my bitch was 14 month when i gave her a short 50 yard slip on hare she killed it easy and never looked back,i dont count the rabbits that i let go for her at 7 month cos as you know they never run properly,just wanted her to get the taste for it

Dead chuffed today, Blue, my whippet caught his first proper rabbit after a run.

He managed to catch a mixi ridden rabbit at about 8 months but I dont really count that as it was only a few paces to catch the poor thing.

Having just about reached 11 months old and out for a walk down the local woodland and football pitch he spotted a belly down rabbit and took off after it. I wasn't until the rabbit slowed to go into some bramble after somewhere like 120ft that he did actually catch it though.

Still I am happy with him and he got loads of praise and a few treats :clapper:

its no good running your dog to young can ruin it for when there older. no good for the dogs joints and lungs also can be a knock on there confidence, had my dog out watching when she was 5-6 months then waited till my dog was 10 months till i ran her and she caught her first rabbit first run

was happy with that

I havn't been on here in a while and it seems to me that the people with sense and the know how about running dogs have up and left. My Dog caught his first at 10 and 1/2 Months and that was a squatter during the day. I wouldn't dream of running a dog untill 9 months and that's if I knew that the dog was mature enough to do so.

All dogs are diffrent don't get me wrong but the way I see it 6 months and 7 month old dogs catching is nothing to brag about infact its stupidity your all going to end up with dogs that either yip or jus quit because they havn't got the confidence after being disheartend so many times before!! Dogs remember there puppyhood forever!!

It's like chucking a 10 year old boy into a senior game of rugby or football!!! Their going to get disheartend and frustrated and think f**k that!!! That's the way I see it so have a think about it before u slip your dog next time!! ;)

thanks

well my mates dog didnt stsrt catching till he was 2 that was salukixgrehound but it killed a hare preban at age of 2 and still killed them till the asge of nine my little salukixwhippet killed her 1st hare pre banat nine month