Looks like a peregrine in the background to the left ?? i think you may as well put a net over there for all the work it is instead lol

That was bought years ago at a game fair by my grandad, it was supposed to stop other birds of prey coming near. Its now just apart of he scenery, and abit of a running joke throughout the guns/beaters and myself :D:clapper:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got our poults sunday and the buzzard has taken 6! 5 out of one particular pen any tips or detering them? I no the obvious one one but anything apart from that?? :)

Try everything cd's ,radios ,twine and rabbits away from the pen also try a string of bangers to deter the buzzards from the pen area good luck.

I heard somewhere that Buzzards don't fly under shiny things so putting CDs up around the pen might stop them. But i don't know how true this is.

bang on mate :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: we had the same prob about 5 years ago till we put some up!!

best way with the cds hanging mate but move them around the pen once a week or witever cos they end up getting to used tae them and will start takin yer poults agen , theres the obvious ways to ;)

I heard somewhere that Buzzards don't fly under shiny things so putting CDs up around the pen might stop them. But i don't know how true this is.

bang on mate :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: we had the same prob about 5 years ago till we put some up!!

best way with the cds hanging mate but move them around the pen once a week or witever cos they end up getting to used tae them and will start takin yer poults agen , theres the obvious ways to ;)

Well we managed 5 decent pages on buzzards, then a newbe comes along with the above... :wallbash:

Well we managed 5 decent pages on buzzards, then a newbe comes along with the above... :wallbash:

maybe a newbie to this site alimac but no new to shooting and keepering, been shooting for about 14 years , doing the dogs for about 5 years and a done keepering for 2 and a half years , this site is for discussion is it not , am only talking from experiences tht i've had myself :feck:

Edited by leo1

maybe a newbie to this site alimac but no new to shooting and keepering, been shooting for about 14 years , doing the dogs for about 5 years and a done keepering for 2 and a half years , this site is for discussion is it not , am only talking from experiences tht i've had myself :feck:

leoi i think you'v missed alimac's point

:yes:

:yes:

just noticed that there :thumbs:

dead rabbit, pigeons, crow, magpie, anything you can get hold of, start 100 yards from your pen and work further away. Currently I have 10 Buzzards thanks to 2 sucessfull nestings within 300 yards of 5 pens.

After a few days an evening vigil over the biating area might pay dividends with a charlie, just peg the baits down to stop him grabbing and running.

A

SPARROWS take poults up to about 13 weeks of age, keepers are more worried about the stress on the rest of the pen.. tawnys imo take very few indeed, the worst is when they spook a pen of newly arrived poults in the night. buzzards will take poults upto about 16 or 18 weeks old (almost fully grown) the worst by a million miles is a goshawk, they will kill the first then take to foot and kill 10 or 20 no problem, they are the ultimate ghostly killing machine, topped by none

Ali mac is right, about five years ago i lost almost 100 poults to Gos in two weeks , (THE ULTIMATE KILLNG MACHINE) when it comes to Pheasants, the worst case scenario when it comes to Gos kills on poults is the stress on the birds that survive, not only did i lose roughly a hundread poults i had to treat them from cocidoses their after. I know now when i enter a pen if a Gos has been, you will not hardly see a bird and when you start looking they have the fear off death in them, i have even had to pull poults out of rabbit holes that have been trying to hide from the Gos.

Buzzards / Sparrowhawks dont put the same fear into the birds that are alive. here is an example of what i have been through. In one day i lost 16 poults, heads off ( they love the brains for some reason) only one of these had the side eaten out off it. I use the rule of thumb if its a buzzard they kill the bird and normally start eating through the back, Gos / Sparrow side eaten out off it.

The best control measure for me that's worked better than all other is Crow bangers, the type that go off every half hour for a time period of six hours. if a hawk is on a kill and the banger goes off it scares them for a few days even a week and that its is a long time in a Pheasants life, one word of caution though start at a distance with the crow bangers if you put them to close to the pen to begin with the pults get a fright and i have witnesed lots flying over the top of the pen, even as i write this i have bangers going now, i have had no problems this year so far but getting the birds used to the bangs so if i do have bother the birds are used to the banging.

SPARROWS take poults up to about 13 weeks of age, keepers are more worried about the stress on the rest of the pen.. tawnys imo take very few indeed, the worst is when they spook a pen of newly arrived poults in the night. buzzards will take poults upto about 16 or 18 weeks old (almost fully grown) the worst by a million miles is a goshawk, they will kill the first then take to foot and kill 10 or 20 no problem, they are the ultimate ghostly killing machine, topped by none

Ali mac is right, about five years ago i lost almost 100 poults to Gos in two weeks , (THE ULTIMATE KILLNG MACHINE) when it comes to Pheasants, the worst case scenario when it comes to Gos kills on poults is the stress on the birds that survive, not only did i lose roughly a hundread poults i had to treat them from cocidoses their after. I know now when i enter a pen if a Gos has been, you will not hardly see a bird and when you start looking they have the fear off death in them, i have even had to pull poults out of rabbit holes that have been trying to hide from the Gos.

Buzzards / Sparrowhawks dont put the same fear into the birds that are alive. here is an example of what i have been through. In one day i lost 16 poults, heads off ( they love the brains for some reason) only one of these had the side eaten out off it. I use the rule of thumb if its a buzzard they kill the bird and normally start eating through the back, Gos / Sparrow side eaten out off it.

The best control measure for me that's worked better than all other is Crow bangers, the type that go off every half hour for a time period of six hours. if a hawk is on a kill and the banger goes off it scares them for a few days even a week and that its is a long time in a Pheasants life, one word of caution though start at a distance with the crow bangers if you put them to close to the pen to begin with the pults get a fright and i have witnesed lots flying over the top of the pen, even as i write this i have bangers going now, i have had no problems this year so far but getting the birds used to the bangs so if i do have bother the birds are used to the banging.

100% imo fella :yes:

yis chancer

In my area you can get a licencing person in and aslong as u have eveedence that there is dead poults and buzzards flying about by law the guy has to give you a controal licence and you shoot them leagly i found putting rabbits round attracts other pests

(sorry for bad spelling)