• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard somewhere that Buzzards don't fly under shiny things so putting CDs up around the pen might stop them. But i don't know how true this is.

Going to try that tonight and got some lamping planned to get some bunnies also had a fox in the snare today aswell!!

hi u could put dead rabbits around ye pen easy meal but the only thing is u would have to do it everyday that should keep them off ye birds :good:

I don't know much about keeping poults but to keep buzzards off them I would seriously not recommend putting dead rabbits around your pen ... everyday!! They would learn to keep coming back again and again, and the amount coming would grow in numbers so one day you may not put out enough rabbits or not put any out at all ... and you'll be fecked.

I say this thought especially referring to the Red Kite watching centres: where they put large amounts of meat out and about at a regular time at a regular place and massive numbers turn up every time for the free, easy meal.

Hi mate. the feckers keep atacking my decoys.They are fecking pest.atb. Catcher 1

buzzards like to perch on dead trees because they are good advantage points for spotting there next meal, cut the dead trees down if there are any, useing a old tape player u can leave music on this also can help to scare predators, and ive also seen people use flashing lights that go on the top of traffic cones, all little things add up that might help.

I used to get bothered with buzzards and sparrow hawks on my shoot I keeper on. A gamekeeper friend recommended buying some baler twine (about £10 for 10,000ft), put a nail in the top of each post on your pen and randomly walk across the inside of your pen going from post to post and looping it around the nails, after abit of time you create a dense spider web effect, this helps stop raptors dropping in on your poults. As a further deterrent we hung loads of cd's around on the newly formed 'spider web'. Hope this helps, it reduced the amount of my poults been taken massively.

Guest rodsmith
hi u could put dead rabbits around ye pen easy meal but the only thing is u would have to do it everyday that should keep them off ye birds :good:

great idea.that way it will attract every other buzzard,red kite,fox,rat and all manner of disease.

if there are feed rides through your release pen,try hanging CD/DVD disks.

other than that mate,its the obvious.

I don't know much about keeping poults but to keep buzzards off them I would seriously not recommend putting dead rabbits around your pen ... everyday!! They would learn to keep coming back again and again, and the amount coming would grow in numbers so one day you may not put out enough rabbits or not put any out at all ... and you'll be fecked.

I say this thought especially referring to the Red Kite watching centres: where they put large amounts of meat out and about at a regular time at a regular place and massive numbers turn up every time for the free, easy meal.

our the shoot is on a large area 3000 acres so we do shoot bunnys and leave them in areas away from the pens we do have a lot of buzzards and we know we have to live with them also when we release the birds we take note where the buzzards perch to ambush the poults usualy its in a tree on a hedge line or shelter belt here we string a few cd ,s up hoping that this puts the buzzards off untill the poult get wise. sometimes you can have to many birds in one pen and you make it very easy for them to be taken. good luck.

Guest ragumup

The best way to deter them is stand a manikin /scare crow with good eyes in the pen works for me, sometimes even leaving a few empty crates in the pen can work helps if you can rear an extra hundred poults for buzzards. "remember buzzards only eat worms and carrion" :clapper: