Kit has swollen anus, and pot belly

Guest Countryboyo

Guest Countryboyo
Kits need lots of raw meat it can be chicken, mince (the cheaper the better,high fat content) rabbit, pigeon etc

magpie?

Edited by Countryboyo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still the same today she lively eating away but stillk swollen arse and stomach . fucksake

I would think if it was anything really serious the kit wouldnt be this lively & eating, sometimes the bellys look huge especially if there tiny things when they have eaten

weigh the ferret everyday if its gaining a bit each day its thriving

Guest Countryboyo

No the stomach is full of air the vet said. Its totally different to the other ferret like. looked it up on the net and they say it happens fronm the ferret moving on to dry kibble.

One of my 12 week old jill kits has a swollen anus and a pot belly. What could be wrong with her lads? I only have her since tuesday :wallbash:

Could well be extreme form of bloat, I've had this in a young ferret myself. If I was you I'd put her up in a hutch on her own and not feed her any food for a few hours , but allow her as much full fat milk as she'll take on board, this worked for me and my jill was ok within 24 hours, if no improvement by then get her to the vet....best of luck mate

milk is the last thing to give a ferret with a prolapsed rectum go straight through it, there lactose intollerent

Wasn't aware the ferret had a prolapsed rectum & neither is the lads vet by the sound of things, am aware ferrets are lactose intollerant Kay and as a rule I don't give my ferrets milk, but when the jill I had was suffering from bloat I fasted her for a few hours in a hutch on her own then allowed her to glut herself on full fat milk and it worked for me, wether it made the ferret pass wind or not I don't know, but like I say it worked for me, at the end of the day I'm sure we all have our ferrets best interests at heart and I hope Countryboyos ferret pulls through and is ok.

Guest Countryboyo
sounds like glandla fever to me!

is he kneck swelled up too?

No her neck is fine Ive read on the net that its common for kits to have prolapsed rectoms when they start eating kibble. Hoping it will be ok over the next few days but if swelling dont go down by tuesday Il go to the vet again.

I feed them bagged ferret food soaked in a bit of water. do ye think this is ok

fresh rabbit, chopped into chunks, look at dogs that are fed on tinned dog food, there glands get full up because the arse aint working the way it was made to, the anal glands are there for a reason, to help expel bones/hard matter, if they only ever expel soft, the glands fill up

dont know if a fert have these glands, but ferts, even kitts are meat/ bone eaters, not soft food eaters

They do have anal glands which can get impacted or even infected :yes: I had an oldie with a little bit of back end paralysis and his glands became infected. He had a course of antibiotics but after that his anal glands had to be emptied manually every month or so :sick:

I feed them bagged ferret food soaked in a bit of water. do ye think this is ok

fresh rabbit, chopped into chunks, look at dogs that are fed on tinned dog food, there glands get full up because the arse aint working the way it was made to, the anal glands are there for a reason, to help expel bones/hard matter, if they only ever expel soft, the glands fill up

dont know if a fert have these glands, but ferts, even kitts are meat/ bone eaters, not soft food eaters

They do have anal glands which can get impacted or even infected :yes: I had an oldie with a little bit of back end paralysis and his glands became infected. He had a course of antibiotics but after that his anal glands had to be emptied manually every month or so :sick:

been down that road ,even after several years of him dieing the smell still remains in the nose :sick:

No her neck is fine Ive read on the net that its common for kits to have prolapsed rectoms when they start eating kibble. Hoping it will be ok over the next few days but if swelling dont go down by tuesday Il go to the vet again.

OMG! If it is known that feeding kibble can cause these problems I'm bloody glad I never do: only to adults in an emergency which happens once in a blue moon.

Can't you feed it as nature intended? On rabbit? Never get any problems with rabbit.

Guest Countryboyo

OMG! If it is known that feeding kibble can cause these problems I'm bloody glad I never do: only to adults in an emergency which happens once in a blue moon.

Can't you feed it as nature intended? On rabbit? Never get any problems with rabbit.

Getting the rabbits is the problem

Getting the rabbits is the problem

get what you can whole carcass rather than chucnks of meat of the butcher , pidgeon that sort of thing will be fine