Introducing Stop whistle

enjoy the pup, leave the stop whistle alone, save that for more adavnced work, that is not basic training in my eyes, recall whistle is okay, use when calling dog for dinner and so on, Leave Stop Whistle For NOW!!

Good Luck, have fun RS

Thanks for the advice :) .I will try the recall as you sugest.Any other advice on dos and donts at this age appreciated.

Purchase a good book

If I can be a little more helpful,

Training Spaniels by Joe Irving is an exellent book, it was recomended to me 20 years ago when I was training my first dog and it is just as relevent today. Also take every opportunity to pick the brains of the top trainers, watch the demonstrations at gamefairs and try to attend a few trials. Introduce yourself and ask them a few questions, most are only too happy to help.

Nothing wrong in introducing the stop whistle at this stage in my opinion. Just dont use it to "stop" him while playing or hunting about. Use it in conjunction with the sit command, for example at meal times if you make him sit before putting his bowl down. atb,Rich

Edited by farmerrich

hi mate 6-7 months is a better time to start training your dog,sit and lead walking and general obedience work that you would carry out on any dog is all thats needed now.as has been said the pup needs to be a pup first.as for when its time to train,i prefer dvd/video's rather than books,its easier to see what is meant to be happening and as for spaniels ian openshaw has good dvd's but i prefer the 2 disc compilation of kirkham gundogs very interesting and informative,regards jack.

Let the pup be a pup.

13 week's is way to young to start training.

Do as said above, buy a good book or dvd.

David Lisset's spaniel training dvd's are great ;)

Thanks for all the advice.I wont rush things and will get a couple of DVDs to get me started.

You do need to let the pup be a pup and not restrict it too much.

But

There is no reason you cant be gently instilling future lessons.

For example, when the pup is playing in the garden or the house sit on the floor and call its name in an excitable voice and let it jump all over you, playing and learning that you are fun to come back to, this will also give it confidence to come right in to you which should help with retrieving later on.

When you are wandering round the garden or the field give a whistle peep or a clap and when the pup looks round change your direction, the pup should follow and quickly over take you (ie the turn whisle begins).

When feeding hold the bowl and one hand up and say sit, hup whatever. the pup will jump about and be a plonker but will eventually sit down to contemplate what is going on at which point put the bowl straight down

All these things should be playful and no pressure put on the dog (there should be no chastisement because you havent taught the dog anything for it to know otherwise) but the games are gently instilling ideas that will flourish when you start to instill proper behaviours in a confident dog.

I also very much reccomend the Joe Irving books

You do need to let the pup be a pup and not restrict it too much.

But

There is no reason you cant be gently instilling future lessons.

For example, when the pup is playing in the garden or the house sit on the floor and call its name in an excitable voice and let it jump all over you, playing and learning that you are fun to come back to, this will also give it confidence to come right in to you which should help with retrieving later on.

When you are wandering round the garden or the field give a whistle peep or a clap and when the pup looks round change your direction, the pup should follow and quickly over take you (ie the turn whisle begins).

When feeding hold the bowl and one hand up and say sit, hup whatever. the pup will jump about and be a plonker but will eventually sit down to contemplate what is going on at which point put the bowl straight down

All these things should be playful and no pressure put on the dog (there should be no chastisement because you havent taught the dog anything for it to know otherwise) but the games are gently instilling ideas that will flourish when you start to instill proper behaviours in a confident dog.

I also very much reccomend the Joe Irving books

Thanks for the advice makes good sense. I wont put any pressure on the dog at this stage.