advice needed

Guest oldskool

Guest oldskool

i know feck all about gundogs cuz im more of a lurcher man,, lol some may say i know feck all about them too. but any who, a friend of mine keeps a spaniel and is considering a pointer. does anyone know wats the differences between the english and the german pointer?? the germans seem alot more popular is this because they are better than the english! ;)

English pointers or just Pointers were never meant to retrieve only to find game, but many of them do, retrieve and do it extremly well :good: GSP's, Weimiraners, Vizla's, Spinone's, Braco Italiano and Brittany Spaniels are all HPR breeds!! that is they Hunt Point and Retrieve :good: and any of the continental breeds are excellent gundogs it all depends what you want the dog for??? Lab's are good peg dogs and retrievers, :good: Springer Spaniels good for flushing and retrieving :good: It all depends on the owner and the training!! as well as getting a good dog from working stock

Tom

Guest ADAM AND HIS DOGS

THE GERMAN POINTER HAS BEEN DESCRIBED TO ME BY SOME OF THE TOP GUNDOG MEN IN IRELAND AS "THE JACK OF ALL TRADES AND MASTER OF NONE" ALL THE POINTERS I SEEN WORK HAVE BEEN GERMAN SHORT HAIRED. IN THE RIGHT HANDS THEY ARE A GREAT DOG FOR ROUGH SHOOTING.

the pointer is a great dog,like the setter, but as tom says born to point only. the gsp is the jack of all trades and master of them all if given enough work, there temp of some gsp's is not for everyone including myself as they are lacking in guts and whine around the house, hence my pick of the gwp, a much stronger and even temperment breed. not knocking the shorthair at all as they hunt awesome.

Guest oldskool
the pointer is a great dog,like the setter, but as tom says born to point only. the gsp is the jack of all trades and master of them all if given enough work, there temp of some gsp's is not for everyone including myself as they are lacking in guts and whine around the house, hence my pick of the gwp, a much stronger and even temperment breed. not knocking the shorthair at all as they hunt awesome.

i think pointer blood was used in the bull arab? just wondering that bcause i read a short article! thanks for the replies lads il let him read them 2moro! :good:

Guest Bodach

Mate used to breed them, in Germany they trial them and one of the test is retreving a shot fox, my mate gave me a pup and I trained it, was a bit put off by the distance and ground they cover as I was a lab man befor the GSP. Great dogs for the moor, but make sure you have a dayglow collar on, cause when on point the are difficult to see against the heather back ground.

B.

Guest wildogman

l0l there wire haird is the go there strong dogs and want be beaten bye anything im on my second now and there grate dogs and way better then short hair's well thats what i think anyways good hunting all i'll be out sooon enuff

wildogman

Mate used to breed them, in Germany they trial them and one of the test is retreving a shot fox, my mate gave me a pup and I trained it, was a bit put off by the distance and ground they cover as I was a lab man befor the GSP. Great dogs for the moor, but make sure you have a dayglow collar on, cause when on point the are difficult to see against the heather back ground.

B.

point.jpg