Fac

Guest craftycarper

Guest craftycarper

Thinking of upgrading my shottie cert and having fac added to it, me landowner already has people shooting it with fac so the grounds no problem but what i would like is some advice on what rifle to get. What's the best all round rifle ( and cheap ) for fox and rabbit bearing in mind i don't want to obliterate the rabbits as i use them for the pot and ferts.

Edited by craftycarper

Thinking of upgrading my shottie cert and having fac added to it, me landowner already has people shooting it with fac so the grounds no problem but what i would like is some advice on what rifle to get. What's the best all round rifle ( and cheap ) for fox and rabbit bearing in mind i don't want to obliterate the rabbits as i use them for the pot and ferts.

I favour the 243 for charlie and the deer and a 22 rimfire for bunny's

:)

Guest ferretman

Our local old bill will normally only let first time FAC applicates have rimmy magnums for foxes though to start with. They then will let you get a variation to acentre fire when you have had some "experiance". Not sure how you get the experiance without the rifle though?. This being sadi, different countys seem to run to different rules.

Put down plenty of entries in your application, the you will be able to do one for one variations going forwards and not have to pay for new entries onto you ticket. It also gives them somthing to knock off when they come to se you.

Good luck

:)

Ferretman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
cheers for that..what about the 17hmr, whats that any good for?

the 17hmr seems to be the all thing just now but for a small caliber rifle i favour the 22 hornet but if you getting a fac i would put down a 22 rim plus a 22/250 for foxes. that being a good all round for both small and large vermin

.222 rem cant go wrong with it.Low recoil see what you hit it in the scope and very accurate.Just my view thats all.

andy.

ps .17 is a necked down .222 good gun as long as there is no wind at all.

cheers andy

try for the 2 rifles but seperately apply for the .22 first so you have less chance of being knocked back cos of a larger rifle ive seen it happen. then once youve got the .22 apply for a variation and go for the centre fire 22.250 is the mutts nuts. my concern would be that the old bill say there is already facs on the land and the land doesnt warrant anymore rifle shooters. if the current rifle boys aint keeping up its up to the landowner to tell the police you are the sole shooter and no one else can use their fac on the land. this can cause friction though so tread carefully

i dont know what to say.it aint a game.i lost a rifle 7 year ago ie theft.you can have what you want only if your ground ie farmer says you can .pitt street can only follow the law..357 is the max for a rifle in scotland if you can or for that matter uk. go for it