Nasty Ferret Kit

Bloody hell there babys , makes no odds how well handled they are by the '' breeder'' they nip , pups do kittens do so why do people find it odd that baby ferret nip

simple solution handle after a good feed , there infant animals & smacking , scruffing & nose flicking all make hand shy ferrets

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have got a 12 week old jill ferret kit. When I had her at about 6 and a half weeks old she was lovely but when the weeks went passed she started to get nasty. She turns her head around and bites your hand, she even locked onto my thumb and started to shake it. What can I do to stop her from biting me. She also tries to bite if ur hand goes anywhere near her face.

What can I do. Please help.

Handle them often ,feed them,[full rabbits or birds none of that baggrd shite]fresh water, clean bedding,room to grow, thats all it takes,as for tapping them on the nose , a load of tosh, spouted by people who know F A about looking after ferrets

in my opinion.

everybody has a different way i guess but to state they know F A about keeping fezzers 'cos they tap/flick them when they bite is a bit strong aint it??? i know people who've never raised their hand to anything usually their dogs are not under control or their kids and forget going anywhere near their ferrets

I have got a 12 week old jill ferret kit. When I had her at about 6 and a half weeks old she was lovely but when the weeks went passed she started to get nasty. She turns her head around and bites your hand, she even locked onto my thumb and started to shake it. What can I do to stop her from biting me. She also tries to bite if ur hand goes anywhere near her face.

Handle them often ,feed them,[full rabbits or birds none of that baggrd shite]fresh water, clean bedding,room to grow, thats all it takes,as for tapping them on the nose , a load of tosh, spouted by people who know F A about looking after ferrets

in my opinion.

everybody has a different way i guess but to state they know F A about keeping fezzers 'cos they tap/flick them when they bite is a bit strong aint it??? i know people who've never raised their hand to anything usually their dogs are not under control or their kids and forget going anywhere near their ferrets

so the answer is to flick the noses of your kids when there missbehaving is it :blink: like everything else in life its about routine & boundrys , kids dogs etc need these to function, not physically punnishing

in my opinion.

so the answer is to flick the noses of your kids when there missbehaving is it :blink: like everything else in life its about routine & boundrys , kids dogs etc need these to function, not physically punnishing

as i said everybody is different my mrs wouldn't raise her hand to anything (except me :D) whereas i would. if my daughter has to be told three times and believe when i say i set boundarys i would give a short clip on't backs of her legs to remind her of her position not to hurt but to leave a lasting memo that disobedience is not tolerated it never hurt me or most other people who've recieved one off their parents. the problem as i've already said is brutalising anything!!! kids, dogs or ferrets the emphasis is on correcting but the actual physical act is a last resort.

in my opinion.

As i said ,[in my opinion] an opinion formed after fifty odd years of working ,and keeping ferrets, and it may be the wrong one, but i also think ,that anyone ,so worried ,about a little nip off of a young ferret,that they have to belt it on the snout ,should not be keeping them any way.

in my opinion.

As i said ,[in my opinion] an opinion formed after fifty odd years of working ,and keeping ferrets, and it may be the wrong one, but i also think ,that anyone ,so worried ,about a little nip off of a young ferret,that they have to belt it on the snout ,should not be keeping them any way.

hang on now :o not one person in this thread has encouraged anybody to BELT their ferrets nor have they admitted as much. the amount of time you've spent with fezzers is commendable but that gives no promise that everything you do is correct i know blokes two infact who've kept and worked fezzers as long as you have and they feed theirs on a diet that would make most of us question them. their ferrets are healthy and strong so do i argue the toss no i don't and i certainly don't make sweeping statements saying they're not capable. neither should you!!!

i agree with some of the stuff that has been posted,but at the end of the day they are after all young ferrets ,and their only source of defence is their teeth.i handle mine on a daily basis to get the ferret/s used to being handled.the kitt ive got in now stands and squeals at the cage door to be out ,she also thinks that the pup i have got is her mother :bye: and they play quite happily together. but saying that she has been handled from a very young age along with the other kitts i had in and as far as i know the other owner who took the remaining kitts hasnt had a problem with nipping.and for flicking noses or giving them a clip ,if you were left in charge of a toddler and it started screaming because it didnt know you ,or started touching things it wasnt supposed to,would you do the same as you done to the ferret kit?

DSC00366-1.jpg

the pup and the ferret kitt playing

Edited by col g

about a year ago I had a call asking if I took in rescue ferrets, at first said NO, but after hearing the circumstances, agreed to take an albino jill and cage, she was bought round that afternoon, with the cage pictured, that she was rescued in, she had been kept in an outhouse, the bottom of the cage was so full of shite you couldent see the white plastic, she had been "chucked" dead day old chicks, and god knows how long she had lived like that, she was imeadiatly taken on by our 11yr old daughter as "her pet" she's handled plenty of my ferts as she comes ferreting with me,

HANDLING IS THE KEY TO A GOOD FERT

I think a lot of new keepers, aquire a fert/ferts ask for advice on housing/feeding etc, but dont handle enough, a nip or two causes them to be handled even less, stick them in ya pocket and handle them ALL DAY,

anyway, heres a couple of pictures, notice the trust, we had no way of knowing the past, yet the jill has never been flicked on the nose, sure she bit a little too had on a few occassions, but a simple stern NO, and placing back in the cage for a few minutes, was all that is needed,

and before we get complaints of the fert eating ice cream, she get god knows how many "treats" and a year on she's still alive an kicking

only ever fed dry ferret biscuit,

post-5267-1246543726_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1246543737_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1246543747_thumb.jpg

Same as the other replies give the kitts a good feed and handle them daily and let the kids play with them the more handling the better. If you start when you get your kitt they dont bite hard at 6/8 weeks old its more of a scratch but when we had kitts every summer my hands looked like i was a self harmer

Kay, I have never laid a finger on my kids, I dont feel its neccersary as I can communicate effectivly with them and I feel most of the time people who slap there kids do it not to teach the kids a lesson but because there angry......but a ferret is an animal, not a child and it can't be reasoned with, I would never hit a ferret but wull still give them a tap on the nose and a "no" if they were to bite me, Its just the way I do things, not saying its right or wrong, just my way and I have never had a hand shy ferret, mine rush to the front of the cage to be played with..................