WHIPPETS.

Guest Frank

Guest Frank

Howdy :D

I might be getting a whippet pup next spring.

I will use it for ferreting mainly.

Who has them and what are your experiences using them for ferreting?

Pics ect, would be great aswell. :good:

Cheers,

Frank.

Are whippets a traditional ferreting dog?

Doesnt matter how its bred,though a racing harder type would be better.

Whippets dont like the cold they dont like the damp and a cold damp wind is enough to put the greate majority of whippets in a sulk.Fair weather ferreting alright but they would much rather be on the move and in the winter weather if asked to standstill for any ammount of time they throw the towel in.

If pure whippets were up to it as ferreting dogs why would people go to the bother of mongrelising them.

I realy like whippets for a bit of bushing or lamping.........as far as cold weather standing about for some time,ferreting dogs forget it.

JMO

i owned a three qurter whippet qurter grey it was the best dog i have ever had the cold weather never seemed two put it of a bit it was still as game as ever. i took lots of rabbits with her until she died jast september chasing a rabbit into a hole. but i have just got a new puppy exatcly the same breed it is 8 months old and is a corker i will get sum piks 4 ya mate have 2 take sum first :11: i think if it is mainly rabbits u r after u carnt go wrong

i have a whippet x whippet bedlington , * 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington* .. shes only 18'' to shoulder and a cracking ferreting bitch

I would imagine not a bad choice for a ferreting dog but obviously nothing like a pure whippet.

I used to have a whippet x lakeland cross and he was a superb all rounder. Really hardy type, great coat, speedy enough for ferreting and lamping but obviously not a dog for coursing hares. Great at hunting cover and above all, the most intelligent dog we ever owned. Never fought with other dogs or caused us any trouble at all.

I'm trying to find another at the moment with no success so am considering buying a whippet bitch so I can breed my own. I want a small, hardy, intelligent dog for mostly ferreting and bushing and occasional lamping.

Maybe the dog we had was just a lucky mistake but he certainly worked for us.

Depends what "type" of whippet you get; This one, Blue Prince, (Blue Boy X Zarwood), was a 21" 36lb race bred whippet. Back in the 60's he took rabbit, hare, roe, and won many handicaps and was runner up in the "British Open". A real allrounder.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

this was a good wee whippet i owned many moons ago, he was a half decent ferreting dog, though admittedly i rarely netted up, was more for bolts. the cold did bother them if had to wait a long time, but the same dog regularly lamped in all weathers with no problems. show bred 19 1/2 inches 26 lb, a very game wee dog who took several foxes single handed, i know they look fraile but its not a word i would use to describe them. when i've no longer the strenght to walk these bulls, i would'nt mind ending my days with a good whippet.

sorry pics did'nt come out for some reason ( they appeared in the preview ok :( )

Edited by lawrence