keeping cool

mine are in the shade & as i am here all day i can keep an eye on them, i have used fans in the past & froze then freezer blocks & put them in a sock in the bedding area

i use a number of things.

place hutch in shade

pour a bucket of water of the top of the hutch which does reduce the temp quick

place some ice blocks wrapped in some cloth i brought these from a shop called warehouse clearance i got 4 for £2

also i spray the stinkers with water i use a water sprayer which is used for misting plants i got mine from focus for just over a quid

earthenware dog bowl full of cold water in each cage, and hutches placed where they get some shade in the hottest part of the day............also sometimes put a parasol over them

-cages in shade

-hose down cages

-hose the area around the cages [wetting the shrubs seems to cool things off]

-I've got a plastic tub sitting on a few bricks in the cage, makes a gap big enough for the ferrets to sleep under. Fill it up with water and ice and it chills the area between the ground and the tub nicely.

when it gets real hot they all go inside.

I recall a thread a while back when ditchy was still about, talk of what the wild polecat does in these hot temps... well the little chap finds a nice rabbit hole somewhere where it will be nice and cool because its below ground. I think then the thread went on to talk about adding a small accesable underground section to courts, it would be real simple as well, just dig a small pit lined with slabs or breeze blocks and a buried pipe leading to it. For access a couple of slabs as a roof that would be effectively at ground level and im almost sure all the ferets would spend the summer days in there

Edited by Born Hunter