Odd Colour Kit

maltenbys right the animals from the wild which become extinct or near extinct only get that way due to humans either hunting them to the point where theres none left or because humans destroy their environment. they dont become extinct due to genetic abnormalities and problems like what angoras have.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need to correct myself because the collection of databases is by the National Center for Biotechnology Information.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/   The databases are collated from studies from a

You've already had 2 examples of Waardenburgs ferrets, 'Lee'.   Your comments on working and showing are irrelevent prejudice.   There's none so blind as will not see. You are dead right there.  

Posted Images

I have followed this thread with intrest. (Not of the sit and watch if a fight breaks out kind of intrest) Just the courious as to where it will end up type of intrest.

This thread has made me do some research in to Waardenburgs, from what I have read there are ferrets that show classic symptoms of Waardenburgs syndrome in this country and they all seem to stem from the breeding of BEW, Silvers or any other colour mutation.

Of course just because a ferret has one of the many symptoms of Waardenburgs it does not mean that the ferret has the syndrome, from what I can gather there are four types of Waardenburgs. Ferrets can only be affected by types 1 & 2. The only sure way of finding out if a ferret is carrying the waardenburg gene is to have the ferret tested, that involves cost and as sure as eggs is eggs if someone is breeding for monies they are not going to pay to have a ferret tested for a disease where the result if positive could possibly cut off their source of income.

Perhaps many years ago people where having the same conversation about albino ferrets as they are a genetic mutation of the polecat. They have an inherent defect in the middle ear is smaller than in the polecat although they are not deaf as such their hearing is impaired somewhat.

Personally I will not cross a polecat with an albino, but that is just me. I am in no position to tell other people what they can and cannot do. I will say this though we are at this moment in time about 10 maybe 15 years behind the Americans in breeding for colour or deformities. So it will not be long before there are confirmed cases of Waardenburgs in this country, if they are not here now.

I will ask a question of you all, if you had a confirmed case? Would you advertise the fact?

TC

For the Sake of The Ferrets in the UK , I most certainaly would!

I have followed this thread with intrest. (Not of the sit and watch if a fight breaks out kind of intrest) Just the courious as to where it will end up type of intrest.

This thread has made me do some research in to Waardenburgs, from what I have read there are ferrets that show classic symptoms of Waardenburgs syndrome in this country and they all seem to stem from the breeding of BEW, Silvers or any other colour mutation.

Of course just because a ferret has one of the many symptoms of Waardenburgs it does not mean that the ferret has the syndrome, from what I can gather there are four types of Waardenburgs. Ferrets can only be affected by types 1 & 2. The only sure way of finding out if a ferret is carrying the waardenburg gene is to have the ferret tested, that involves cost and as sure as eggs is eggs if someone is breeding for monies they are not going to pay to have a ferret tested for a disease where the result if positive could possibly cut off their source of income.

Perhaps many years ago people where having the same conversation about albino ferrets as they are a genetic mutation of the polecat. They have an inherent defect in the middle ear is smaller than in the polecat although they are not deaf as such their hearing is impaired somewhat.

Personally I will not cross a polecat with an albino, but that is just me. I am in no position to tell other people what they can and cannot do. I will say this though we are at this moment in time about 10 maybe 15 years behind the Americans in breeding for colour or deformities. So it will not be long before there are confirmed cases of Waardenburgs in this country, if they are not here now.

I will ask a question of you all, if you had a confirmed case? Would you advertise the fact?

TC

For the Sake of The Ferrets in the UK , I most certainaly would!

But would you pay to get a suspect ferret tested in the first place?

TC

So who won the Angora Ferret arguement? :D

:clapper: Put yer fecking big spoon away Stealthy! :laugh:

I was only interested outcome! :laugh:

Well, the 'for' argument ran out of steam pretty quickly, draw your own conclusions matey! :D

Well, the 'for' argument ran out of steam pretty quickly, draw your own conclusions matey! :D

Nope very much for still, i was bathing and putting to bed my little girl.

Look back at the previous threads its all been said before on multiple forums, pointless me going over it again and again.

I see other views and appreciate them, i will still breed my few angoras and still bash heads whilst doing so.

YUP! Looks that way :D

Look back at the previous threads its all been said before on multiple forums, pointless me going over it again and again.

I see other views and appreciate them, i will still breed my few angoras and still bash heads whilst doing so.

So, what's your argument then, I mean apart from 'they look nice? :blink: (..oh, and cost a fecking packet. :yes:)

So, what's your argument then, I mean apart from 'they look nice? :blink: (..oh, and cost a fecking packet. :yes:)

The cost a packet is hardly a for arguemnt but i am a lot cheaper then importing and more or less the going rate for the uk at present, though like anything they will drop in price. Mine will be cheaper next year as i won't have to pay back the money it cost and i am looking at nearly £2000 at the moment.

For pet owners yes they look nice and mine at least have very good natures, small nose clefts and good health.

Its the same as anything the fact that people want them makes them in demand, i originally got mine as as pets and they still are that if for some reason they had to be all spayed then they would be.

And as i originally said if i still did work my ferts there is no reason why Chanel and Yinthe wouldn't work they are relatiavely short haired and in great shape.

Boils down to if someone would like a ferret as a pet why not get an angora.

Erm, because they are mutated in a way that's not natural, or healthy? :hmm:

Erm, because they are mutated in a way that's not natural, or healthy? :hmm:

MalT I think you will find that they are natural, as they were bred from ferrets. This is possible to happen in the wild, highly unlikely , but still possible. However, that said it does not make it right. To inbreed those ferrets with such a small gene pool is, in my honest opinion asking for trouble at the least. At the worst is nothing short of criminal.

TC