you have too wait till winter, they go black, traditionally you wait till theres been a frost, so they break down,but i pick them and put them in freezer, that does same job, there was plenty of blossom about so, hopefully good fruit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem getting sloes last year but others in my area did.Obviously didnt go where i did.

This morning ive seen the first ones had a taste and definatily sloes.Bit bigger than a pea but the blueish colour alredy

Well after a ZERO crop last year, I'm glad to report sloes a plenty on my land this season! Few! Only have a ltr of year before lasts sloe gin left!
.I saw the same thing on some bushes friday .looked like there were loads on to start with then I realised they were all bloated...

d.d.

I am still looking for bushes seen as i am at a new place now i need to get out for a look to find them as i am out of sloe gin. it has something to do with me and sporting shooter downing the last bottle i had made in jan :D

Yes, I seem to remember that Lass, though not very well! Remember my bad head though :yes:

I've been taking a bit more interest this year too seen as those last year were completely washed out and the bushes were near enough bare.

I have a few spots that I have in my mind to check to see how they are developing, one in particular, in a good year, you can take a good 10kg from about 10 yards of hedgerow, easily. I might take a wander over there tomorrow and see how they're doing, may even take the camera. And the rifle...

I have a bet with ScottishLass there to swap a bottle of Sloe Gin the next time I'm up, see who's is best. So I'm hoping they come good.

I took some pictures of the Sloe bushes today on my wander around :yes:

At first I was greeted by destruction :(

P7231069.jpg

But as I walked further up the hedgerow,

P7231072.jpg

I was delighted to find :D

P7231073.jpg

P7231074.jpg

P7231075.jpg

P7231076.jpg

P7231077.jpg

Happy now that I know I have a chance of making some drinkable spirits this year :D